Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the fatigue blouse tuck

Hello All,

In the past year or so I've seen a new trend (and maybe it's just that) of guys tucking their fatigue blouse into their trousers. My question(s) is...was this common during the war, when did it start, what theatre would it have been seen more in? When is it appropriate for us as living historians to do this if at all? When I first saw this I thought it looked cool but then thought about all the other things that guys do in this hobby to make themselves look cool and end up degrading what would have otherwise been a good impression. What are your thoughts, I'd love some input here. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
    Liberty Rifles (National Light Infantry)
    Hardtack Society
    Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Re: the fatigue blouse tuck

The search function is always a good place to start:

Someone is cold.

Unusual Uniform

Eric
    Eric J. Mink
    Co. A, 4th Va Inf
    Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Interesting that you posted this today, I was looking at this photo a couple of days ago when I noticed this seargent with a tucked in blouse.

I can't speak to the purpose of wearing the blouse this way; his pards don't appear to be cold, or emulating his fashion statement. Looking at this photo only it appears to be one of 50.

I don't remember the call number but it is listed as Co K 93rd NY, August 1863.

Input from a focus group of one: probably a distraction.

Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Wall's Texas Legion
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Texyank; 05-21-2007, 10:55 PM. Reason: forgot to add photo
      Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Waul's Texas Legion

Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid

"Don't give the pr&ck the satisfaction"

Comment

Interesting thing in that photo is the wide range of ages of the men. Some of those fellows ain't no spring chickens.
        Michael Comer
        one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by Dignann View Post
          The search function is always a good place to start:

Someone is cold.

Unusual Uniform

Eric
          Yeah I tried the search function first (like I always do) and didn't come up with anything. Obviously you saw something I didn't. Thanks for pointing those out to me.

Josh Sawyer
          Liberty Rifles (National Light Infantry)
          Hardtack Society
          Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Comment

The book [I]History of the 31st Illinois Volunteers has several pictures of soldiers wearing their blouses tucked, as well as some (I believe) that appear to have been cut down into "sack jackets". This could have been because many of the Illinois troops were first issued jackets instead of sack coats and the fellas wanted to keep that look.

I was also looking at the above linked pic, and it appears as though many of the men are wearing shell jackets, which might shed some light on why that old soldier wanted to tuck his blouse in. Old habits and looks are hard to break.
            Chris Utley
            South Union Mills
            [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
            [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

This is off the track from "tucking" the sack coat. The "sergeant" that is highlighted in the above photo appears to my eyes to be a corporal. I can make out only two chevrons. Compare the "tucker's" sleeve to that of the two sergeants in the upper row of seated men, 3rd & 4th from the left, and the corporal, same row, center, seated between and behind the officers. (Marvelous enlargement, by the way. Thanks for posting it!)
              [I][/I]Die Gedanken sind frei
              John Thielmann[I][/I]

Comment

Think for a minute. What common article of men's work clothing was worn tucked or untucked? There's your answer.

(I hope the gals are laughing at this latest round of tucking vs untucking.)
                [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Excellent photo. What strikes me as odd is how young the 1st Sgt. looks. He could be the son of alot of those guys. The Sgt. beside him doesn't look much older.
                  Frank Perkin

Comment

Jason

This is a great picture. What strikes me is the varying length of the hair on the soldiers. The fellow standing between the Lts. his head his practically shaving and the man on his right in the back, his is also quite short. Then you have a soldier whose beard seems out of control :) ( the one seated in the middle near th 2nd Lt). Great picture to study!!

Most Respectfully

Bill Fean

Comment

Very cool picture. Note the 2nd Lt w/ a Cav Saber, the pvt w/striped shirt, the pvt w/ an undershirt, and all the other stuff...I love this one.
                      Thanks
                      Dennis Neal
                      "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
                      David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
                      Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
                      [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
                      J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Uncle Frank,

I found this while in my "library" this morning. It is from Alan Nolan's book about the Iron Brigade, 3rd ed. pg. 114.

"In Gibbon's Brigade the reorganization of the army was reflected in the rise to prominence of three new officers in place of those who had fallen at Brawner farm. In the Nineteenth Indiana, Captain William W. Dudley of Company B was appointed Major in place of Isaac May. Dudley was nineteen years old....."

Also, this photo is of Co B of the 93rd NY. Funny how much younger this company looks in the aggregate.
                        Attached Files
                        Jason Hamby

In memory of Thomas Jefferson Humberson, private, Waul's Texas Legion

Life is hard, even harder when you're stupid

"Don't give the pr&ck the satisfaction"

Comment

Originally posted by Texyank View Post
                          Uncle Frank,

I found this while in my "library" this morning. It is from Alan Nolan's book about the Iron Brigade, 3rd ed. pg. 114.

"In Gibbon's Brigade the reorganization of the army was reflected in the rise to prominence of three new officers in place of those who had fallen at Brawner farm. In the Nineteenth Indiana, Captain William W. Dudley of Company B was appointed Major in place of Isaac May. Dudley was nineteen years old....."

Also, this photo is of Co B of the 93rd NY. Funny how much younger this company looks in the aggregate.
                          Hold on to your hat, it gets better: When Sol Merideth becomes the brigade commander (much to Johnney the Warhorse's chagrin) Dudley will be commanding the 19th Indiana.
                          Rob Weaver
                          Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                          "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                          [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Working...
                          X