Union Rank Straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Rank Straps

Looking for some basic information about Federal rank shoulder straps.

1. What method was used to sew these to the shoulder? Trying to figure it out for myself to avoid a tailor.

2. Are there preferred vendors for company officer straps?

3. Do any vendors sell "Smith's Patent" straps (those with the brass medal fake embroidery edge)?

Thanks.
    Ian Macoy
    Blue Ridge, VA

Re: Union Rank Straps

Originally posted by Ian M. View Post
    1. What method was used to sew these to the shoulder? Trying to figure it out for myself to avoid a tailor.
    Your best bet is going to be to examine some images of original officers frocks and sacks to get an idea where the boards should be positioned. Echoes of Glory is the old standby for this kind of work but if you don't have EOG there are other volumes you can look as well as the Library of Congress images online. Once you have a feeling for positioning, stickpin them in place and whipstitch them on with linen thread.

2. Are there preferred vendors for company officer straps?
    We have a list of our approved vendors here - there are other authentic makers in the hobby but these ones support the AC and we suggest them whenever possible.

I know off of the top of my head the Jersey Skillet Licker has them. I believe CJ Daley has them as well but I don't find the link on his website.

3. Do any vendors sell "Smith's Patent" straps (those with the brass medal fake embroidery edge)?
    I'm uncertain about that - you'll have to ask around or maybe someone else will respond here with a better answer.

Thanks.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Thanks Paul. I have an inquiry into both about their boards. Have the Echoes of Glory series as well -very helpful.
      Ian Macoy
      Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Here is another way to attach shoulder boards. The straps had a hook sewn on their underside, and an eye was sewn on the shoulder of the coat.
        This is a junior level officer's frock I own, unidentified and without the original boards. Also note an interior belt to preserve the wasp-like trim waist of the garmet, and the incredible hand quilting on the interior.
        Steve Sullivan
        CWPT
        Co. Mil. Hist.
        46th Illinois
        Attached Files
        Last edited by rogue; 01-21-2008, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Steve

Thanks for sharing these incredible pictures. I have often wondered if the interior waistbelt was standard on officer frocks or something a certain talior would do. On the www.sharpsburg-arsenal.com website, there is a photo of another jr. officer frock showing a similar interior waistbelt . Anyway thanks again for the pics.

Bill Fean

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Fean View Post
            Steve

Thanks for sharing these incredible pictures. I have often wondered if the interior waistbelt was standard on officer frocks or something a certain talior would do. On the www.sharpsburg-arsenal.com website, there is a photo of another jr. officer frock showing a similar interior waistbelt . Anyway thanks again for the pics.
            As I recall, the Vigo County IN Historical Society holds two company-grade officer coats (one of which, I think, is ID'd although it's been a while since I've looked at them). I distinctly remember noting one of them also had an interior belt pretty much identical to the one shown in the above images. Another coat, owned by the Tippecanoe County IN Historical Assocation, ID'd to a "Capt. Rose" (I believe he was a staff officer) and dated "June 1861" on the inside of one sleeve, however, does not have a belt. Yet another coat, at the Indiana State Museum, doesn't have a belt either.

In short, the obvious conclusion is that interior belts were strictly a matter of personal preference and a "tailor thing." I'm not sure an interior belt was often considered necessary if one had, say, only a 36" chest and 30" waist. What do you think?

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Hallo!

At 5' 10", 170 pounds, I have a 42 inch chest, a 36 inch waist, and 40 inch hips but... dress coats and officer coats do not give me anything close to a "wasp waist" or "hour glass waist." Sigh... ;) :)

I think the "look" might be determined by the distance between one's last ribs and hip bones. The longer that distance, at any particular height, the more pronounced is the visual appearance of the "waist." (A "problem" women often complain about and fashion models seem to have "longer distances..")

I think "back then," I would have gone for an internal belt if availalbe from a tailor.. ;)

Curt
              Waisting Away Mess
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

You may also want to contact Carter and Jasper.
                Robert Collett
                8th FL / 13th IN
                Armory Guards
                WIG

Comment

I have had a bit of hard luck finding replenishment for the straps I carry. I know that Chris Utley carries Nick's triple rich boards which are a beautiful thing to behold. Give him a holler, he is an approved vendor.
                  I also know that Nick has always wanted to do the patent straps you mentioned. If anyone can get it done, he can, so keep an eye out for that possibility.
                  Joseph Hofmann

Comment

Mr. ************,
                    In short, I know nothing of the original owner. A friend in Ohio saw the coat on the table of an Iowa nazi dealer at a militaria show in Minnesota last year and told me of the find. A promise was made that the name of the original owner would be given at purchase time, and that shoulder straps might be forthcoming as well. Neither happened after I bought the coat. I was told he "might" have been from New England, and his name "might" have been Brown. I bought a pig in a poke sack, but a nice one.
                    I had tried to sell it on the devils own outlet, eBay, last week, but got no takers. I am just as glad to keep it.
                    The three measurements are...
                    17 inches across the chest one inch below the arm pits.
                    15 inches at the point where the skirts are attached to the body, front
                    19 inches from the top of the shoulder to the seam where the skirts meet the body, front.
                    The chest is very heavily padded.
                    The internal belt is sewn in by hand, and made of very thin leather.
                    Also I should note there is a belt loop sewn to the exterior of the coat under the left arm at the waist, secured at the top with a cuff sized eagle "I" button, and only on that side. It could accomodate a belt of two inch width.
                    All other buttons are Scoville marked eagle "I" buttons, gilt finish mainly intact. The thread securing all buttons appears original to the garment.
                    The interior lining shows much contemporary wear and sweat stains. The lining appears silk, turning dark from a lighter green, and very fragile, almost brittle. From its appearence I would hazard a guess that this was a work-a-day coat, not reserved for parade use.
                    Steve Sullivan

Comment

Gentlemen

This may not be the proper place ( moderators please feel free to move to proper folder or do what you wish) but is there a place on this site where individuals who own authentic Civil War uniforms, accouterments, etc. can post pictures of their collection? Although you can look in any book or internet site & see pictures, having an individual who actually owns a specific garment, he can perhaps answer detailed questions about an item. I guess I am just thinking out loud again:).

Most Respectfully

Bill Fean

Comment

Just for the information of all. I've observed several unidentified frocks down at Confederate memorial Hall that had the interrior belt. I've been interested in this detail for years since and had come to the conclusion that it was a tailor specific item as I'd only noticed it on tailored coats since. I've played with the addition of it on my coat but am sure there's more to it's placement and positioning that I may realize. Do any of you have any points or tips for this detail ?
                        Thanks
                        Dennis Neal
                        "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
                        David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
                        Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
                        [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
                        J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Fean View Post
                          Gentlemen

This may not be the proper place ( moderators please feel free to move to proper folder or do what you wish) but is there a place on this site where individuals who own authentic Civil War uniforms, accouterments, etc. can post pictures of their collection? Although you can look in any book or internet site & see pictures, having an individual who actually owns a specific garment, he can perhaps answer detailed questions about an item. I guess I am just thinking out loud again:).

Most Respectfully

Bill Fean
                          Bill -
                          That's a great question and the answer is yes. Here's a link to folders for the specific placement of photos of that nature. Just create a new thread or reply to another if the topic is similar and upload your photos as attachments to a post. If you have any trouble with attachments just let me know and we'll try to work it out.
                          Paul Calloway
                          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                          Proud Member of the GHTI
                          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

For those who may not be familiar with the object in question, I've attached images from two officer frocks in the Gettysburg collection that feature it.

The first image is from a coat that belonged to Maj. Edward Mathey of the 7th U.S. Cavalry.

The second two are from a coat that belonged to Charles A. Davis of the 42nd Massachusetts.
                            Attached Files
                            Marc A. Hermann
                            Liberty Rifles.
                            MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                            Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

B.J. Zirkle from IWP Fabrications makes great officer rank and Federal Corp badges from the basic issue to the fancy officer one. You can contact him at GiltWire@ aol .com and if you ask him, he will send you a price list. If you order something from him, you will have to wait but it well worth the wait.
                              [FONT=Courier New]Mark Maranto[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X