Eight Button Federal Frock Coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight Button Federal Frock Coat

I feel a bit sheepish in asking this. When I was 16, I acquired a Federal Frock Coat, and thought it looked good. Now that I am older, I recognize that the body of the coat is far too long. So here is my question, would it be a complete faux pas to shorten the body into an eight button variation. According to the Uniform Regulations, an enlisted frock coat should have nine buttons. I have been doing research, and there is a picture of Sgt. Harlan Cobb's frock coat on page 154 of EoG, Arms & Equipment of the Union. It is an eight button frock, with three buttons on the sleeve. Using the search function on the forum, I found a thread discussing eight button Militia and National Guard frock coats. I want to try to salvage the coat, simply because the quality of the fabric is outstanding. Any assistance is much appreciated.
    Alexander Stowe

Son of New York

Gettysburg, PA

Re: Eight Button Federal Frock Coat

Alex,
    It would not be wrong to tailor your uniform and the result being one button short. I have looked at several pieces seeing where the indiv. altered the garment. One in fact is a mounted service jacket that was cut down in the collar and cut 2 button shorter in the length. This type of stuff was done in the field and if you didn't fit the 1-4 size you either adapted to a poor fitting garment, fixed the problem, or requested a replacement (mainly for the bigger lads) and hope that you actually see it. In the same light, nothing states that sack coats are to have outer pockets, but you see it being done in a number of images and even the Steubenville Arsenal made one. Don't worry about what folks will say if its one button short. Imagine (if you really care) what they say about an ill fitting garment (which is also authentic)
    2 pennies
    Joe Blunt
    "...don't rush the judgement, until all the facts are in."

Comment

Re: Eight Button Federal Frock Coat

Yeah. I know that some people don't mind having big garments, just because of the sizing system. However, I am 6'7", so a frock that I swim in looks goofy.
      Alexander Stowe

Son of New York

Gettysburg, PA

Comment

Working...
      X