Coin Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coin Buttons

Hey,can anybody point me to a source of info on coin buttons? Just how common were they? Does anybody offer good repros out there? I'd be much obbliged. Thank y'uns. Clifford Earl Hyde

Re: Coin Buttons

Jethro, contact me I think I can help!!!

The Mad MIck!!!
    Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

Originally posted by PVTJethro View Post
      Hey,can anybody point me to a source of info on coin buttons? Just how common were they? Does anybody offer good repros out there? I'd be much obbliged. Thank y'uns. Clifford Earl Hyde
      Try a forum search on "coin buttons". There are 34 threads which deal with this type button in one way or another. No telling how much additional information you will learn while looking for what you want.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thanks Jim, I'll try that. Clifford Earl Hyde

Comment

My favorite quote of all time was from D.P. Newton at the White Oak Museum. A friend had just acquired a spiffy Richmond Depot shell and had installed some rather rare buttons. My shell carries original "coin" buttons, as they are so common as to still be inexpensive. DP inspected our jackets and looking at mine stated:

"We found thousands of those in the Confederate camps. Not many of those others though."

My friend swapped out those fancy militia buttons pretty quick. Now, you have to know DP to appreciate him even making a comment. Another gauge is the "Catalogue of Uniforms" published by the Museum of the Confederacy. Plain eagle and coin buttons are very common.

Flea markets can yield nine buttons for $35 or so. Worth the effort to find them. They even pop on EBay, now and again.

Good luck,
          Last edited by ley74; 06-24-2007, 09:25 PM.
          Ley Watson
          POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Thanks Ley. Clifford Earl Hyde

Comment

Working...
            X