Atlanta History Center Georgia overcoat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlanta History Center Georgia overcoat

While at the Atlanta History Center saw this pattern by PEACHTREE MERCANTILE. It is of 1864 civilian style overcoat from Archibald Smith family in Roswell Ga, made by Anne Margaret Magill Smith for her son during 1864. Original is of tan jean wool with composie buttons. Has anyone used this pattern and made this coat? Wondering if it is easy pattern to use. Jim Hensley
    Last edited by militiaman1835; 02-09-2008, 02:26 PM.
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
    Order of Heptasophs 1852

Re: Atlanta History Center Georgia overcoat

Jim,

The Peachtree Patterns line contains extensive documentation and instructions for making items using period sewing techniques. I cut one of these out a good while back for a young man, who then finished the job himself.

I've forgotten how many pages of instructions this coat had---I do know the sheer dress pattern they offer has a spiral bound instruction book running around 30 pages.

Now, that seems like a whole lot of instruction, which means the pattern must be hard....right? Wrong--it just means they really spoon feed the information to you in a step by step manner.

This does not means this is a 'first project' . You should have already made a good pair of drawers, a sucessful shirt or several, and a sack coat or trousers before tackling an wool overcoat with a lining.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

There was a discussion of this pattern some months ago on this forum, and most of the replies echo Mrs. Lawson, as do I in this case. I found the directions to be an incredible help, as it was detailed, concise, and I loved that it went over even the most basic stitches and techniques. It is most definitely not a first sewing project, but as you do other projects leading up to it, keep the overcoat book handy as a guide for what you will need to know. I made this overcoat in about 14 hours from start to finish by handsewing only, and I don't want to make another one - this one better last.
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

My dear Ms. Lawson,
        Do you , or any one else for that matter, have contact info for that pattern? I have been wanting to start another project(like I don't have enough going on), but I don't have a civi frock pattern...

And you never did get back to me after Selma regarding that water heater issue we discussed!

Patrick
        Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
        Old wore out Bugler

Comment

The only way that I know how you can get the pattern is by stopping by or calling the Atlanta History Center Museum Shop. Their number is 404-814-4075.

I received mine in about 2 weeks.

By the way, here is the link to the previous thread which might answer a lot of questions you may have when making your coat.

Matthew Semple

Comment

Working...
          X