This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rope beds in winter camp..

One thing that I have noticed since I have been reenacting, is that some reenactors use cots in their "A"'s and wall tents. I know that the typical private wasn't issued one of these wonders of invention, but I can't help but wondering if, when in winter camp, they made and used rope beds.

I know that the design was around since medieval times (SCA events are loaded with them), and rope suspended bed frames were common in American homes. The materials were readily available from scavenging around camps, farms, etc. and can be covered with a mattress tick.

What I was wondering is if any of you have either seen them at CW events or use them yourselves. After a nasty car accident last week (car was totaled, but I came out relatively unscathed ), I don't really know if my back will be able to take too much sleeping on the ground. If i'm going to use a bed, I would at least like for it to be period correct. I am one of those reenactors who likes to leave the tent flaps open while in camp so the public can see what conditions were like.

Would appreciate everyones' .02 on this one...
    [FONT="Georgia"][I]Your Obedient Servant,

Ben Lenchner
    Pvt.
    97th Penn. Vol. Inf., Co. A[/I][/FONT]
Working...
X