Belt which way?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt which way?

Well I have been wondering about this for awhile. Was there supposed to be a certain way a best was fastened? Like could the belt keeper be on the left or right when it is worn. I cant really tell by looking at orignal photos so any help would be appreciated.
    [FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Impact"][FONT="Georgia"]Avery Miller[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
    [B]Co A, 2nd Bn, Ga Sharpshooters[/B]
    [I][B]"[I]Cox's Wildcats[/I]"[/B][/I]
    [B]Co A, 64th Illinois
    [I][B]"[I]Yates Sharpshooters[/I]"[/B][/FONT][/I][/B]

Re: Belt which way?

Hallo!

"Like could the belt keeper be on the left or right when it is worn."

In brief and to over-generalize.

No, otherwise your "U.S. oval" belt plate would be upside down.

However, that is a wee bit complicated. Roughly between 1839 and 1851, there were two "styles" of belts and plates. The dragoons with their sabre belts had a different belt system than the infantry. For the dragoons, with shoulder belt box and sword sling straps, the cartridge box had to slide over the belt on the wearer's right. This required the belt plate to have its studs on the wearer's left (or under the "S" in "U.S." rather than the infantry's under the "U."
    At that same time it was the same for riflemen.

In the mid 1850's, the infantry went with the large U.S ovalplate, and it did not matter anymore.

However, either due to surpluses, or contractor's still making them the "old way," studds under the "S" still pop up in War time.

Again, being brief and overly generalized...

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thank you for the info.
      [FONT="Verdana"][COLOR="Red"][B][FONT="Impact"][FONT="Georgia"]Avery Miller[/FONT][/FONT][/B][/COLOR]
      [B]Co A, 2nd Bn, Ga Sharpshooters[/B]
      [I][B]"[I]Cox's Wildcats[/I]"[/B][/I]
      [B]Co A, 64th Illinois
      [I][B]"[I]Yates Sharpshooters[/I]"[/B][/FONT][/I][/B]

Comment

When you can't figure out how to put on a waistbelt, and none of the corporals, sergeants, officers, or even your friendly rank and file can explain to a fellow reenactor how to put on a belt, then it may be time to move on to a new group, or a group with some basic skills. Granted, if your group's membership only wears suspenders or bib overalls (overhauls for you in the Southland) you get a bye for this one.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

In point of fact, I believe the fellow was asking more about roller belts vs. those with marked letter plates. They have keepers too. The same could be asked of "frame type plates" also. Left to right or right to left? It's a fair question, actually. Positive input? Or just wanna to keep blowing this guy's candle out?
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob,

On the surface, the earlier response could be considered harsh, and by no means would we want to lift his bushel and snuff his candle, but how would we feel if we were to learn that Avery Miller was strangled by the neck until dead while trying to wear his belt for the first time in some sort of bizarre accident involving his common tent ridgepole? What if he hung there for hours while the rest of his company was out there at the tactical-battle-picnic-dance-reenactor appreciation dinner? Oh, the horror. Perhaps we'd read of a filemate losing his eye when young Avery whipped off his waistbelt at an incredibly unsafe rate of speed, and the keeper (or buckle) detached the poor feller's retina. Worse yet, would be learning Avery didn't keep his legs together while "puttin' his traps on," and managed to become a enunch the hard way. These are all matters of grave concern.

Safety first. Let's not have any misfires with that belt.
            Last edited by Charles Heath; 07-05-2007, 05:39 PM. Reason: spelled a whole new language with just one slip of the keyboard
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Charles, I'm not sure what you just said. However, your reply was so original that all I can say is, "Why, hell yea!" Meanwhile, I think I'll go grab a beer and hoist it to you, because a guy that original needs to be toasted.
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
              X