Bartholomae canteen strap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bartholomae canteen strap

Comrades - who makes copies of any of the various filter canteens manufactured during the war. Who makes CS officer's haversacks. Don Smith is superb with these. Anybody else?
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Re: Who Makes Tin filter canteens and CS officer's haversacks

Doug,
    For the CS officer's haversack, check out Boyd Miles. I can't think of his site off the top of my head, but I'm sure a google search would turn up the result.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Doug,

Richmonville tin works makes an outstanding Bartholomae filter canteen. It comes uncovered, but looks great. I think the web site is www.richmonville.com, but a search should turn it up. Happy New Year!

Ivan F. Ingraham

Comment

Doug,

I have a Boyd Miles tarred officer's haversack which I am very pleased with. It's not a copy of a particular original, but rather an amalgamation of common period styles. His website indicates that these are basically saddle bags with a shoulder strap added. Boyd was very easy to deal with and the item shipped almost immediately. His website is http://boydmiles.homestead.com/.

I've also heard good things about Ethan Rogers. His website (http://erogers_tarredgoods.tripod.co...ods/index.html) lists a copy of a haversack in the Alabama State Museum which appears to be an officer's item but unfortunately has no provenance. I was in touch with Ethan a few days ago, and he was going to send pictures of his repro when available. Perhaps he would be kind enough to post them on his website if others would be interested.
        Bill Reagan
        23rd Reg't
        Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper
          Comrades - who makes copies of any of the various filter canteens manufactured during the war. Who makes CS officer's haversacks. Don Smith is superb with these. Anybody else?
          Try this site for the filter canteen: http://www.richmonville.com/
          Hope this helps
          Johnny Pullen
          Delhi Rangers
          Johnny Pullen
          Possum Skinners Mess
          Armory Guards
          WIG

"Mr. Davis tried to do what God failed to do. He tried to make a soldier of Braxton Bragg."
          General Joe Johnston

Comment

Phil Cavanaugh at www.haversackdepot.com sells filter canteens for $20. They don't come with the filter tube, though.
            Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Bartholomae Canteens

This reproduction of the Bartholomae canteen features properly shaped caps, a filter screen inside the drinking tube, a brass patent label and chains that have smaller unplated links rather than the modern chain commonly found on canteen reproductions. The artifact that served as the pattern for this canteen is from the collections of the New Hampshire Historical Society. It is missing the original cap for the filter storage chamber. I have chosen to make a proper style cap for this tube rather than the replacement cap found on the artifact.

The canteen will be delivered without covering or a strap. For a cover I would recommend any authentic fabric that might be used for covering a federal canteen and for a strap I would recommend a well made reproduction of the early war leather strap issued to federal soldiers.

I am currently taking advance order reservations for four reproductions of the Bartholomae style canteen. The reservations will be honored in the order in which they are received. Because of the special requirements of certain details on this canteen I am unable to guarantee that I can produce more than four at this time. These canteens will be available for delivery by, or before, mid-August, 2004. Below are links to attached images of the prototype made for Bill Cross. The canteens will be $110 each + shipping. For more information contact me at:
              ottertin@sover.net
              Last edited by John Peterson; 04-25-2004, 10:03 AM.
              John Peterson

Comment

Re: Bartholomae Canteens

I am in the process of updating my website and have included a "featured items" page. The current featured item is the Bartholomae canteen. The page includes images and other information from the original Bartholomae patent.

My prototype reproduction of the Bartholomae canteen was at Into the Wilderness - I'm looking forward to hearing how it faired.

I've also started a "What's New" page.

Thanks for taking the time to read this!
                Last edited by John Peterson; 05-02-2004, 03:08 PM. Reason: add extra information
                John Peterson

Comment

Trans-Mississippi Depot and Otter Creek Tinware are collaborating on a limited run of Bartholomae patent filter canteens. They are finished with a wool flannel cover (choice of dark blue or gray) and russet leather strap. We are taking reservations for 5 canteens on a "first come, first serve" basis with delivery planned for mid-July 2007 or earlier. The last time these canteens were available was two years ago and there is no way to know when they will be available again.
                  Don Smith of Trans-Mississippi Depot is also offering an option of custom lettering canteens using original period stencils.
                  For more information on reserving a canteen go to:
                  http://mysite.verizon.net/ottertin/b...nteen2007.html
                  Attached Files
                  John Peterson

Comment

Re: Bartholomae Filter Canteens

John - sent an e-mail. Finally, all aspects of this fascinating canteen are coming together. Good work!!
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Doug!
                      How are you?
                      I wrote back - You've got a canteen (and a coffee pot) coming your way.

Four canteens are spoken for - one left ...
                      John Peterson

Comment

That is a nice canteen.

Matt
                        Matthew Thompson

Comment

I would like one, I want to build up my Trans-Miss Equipment.
                          Gregory Deese
                          Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                          "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

As of 8:30 this morning all 5 canteens are currently spoken for and I have contacted the individuals who want them. If anyone changes his mind I will post that another canteen has become available.
                            Thank you for your interest.
                            John Peterson

Comment

Does anyone have a good picture of the method of attachment for the leather straps that were commonly found on Bartholomae canteens? I know they used a rivet, but I don't know how big the rivet was or exactly how it was affixed.

Thanks,

Adam Dickerson
                              Adam Dickerson

Comment

Working...
                              X