Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "How to Camp Out" by John Mead Gould

Comrades,
    I don't know if anyone has ever had the pleasure of reading this book. If this has been posted before then I suppose I will look like an idiot. As some of you might know John Mead Gould was a Union soldier whose wartime journals contain a great deal of detailed knowledge on the life of a federal soldier. In 1877, he wrote a book entitled How to Camp Out that was based on and extremely reflective of his time in the Union Army. In the work he describes army tentage, cooking, bed rolls, etc., etc. Most of the work is fully applicable to Civil War living history.
    Just to give a few examples: "Suggestions such as, "When the soldiers found their pantaloons were chafing them, they would tie their handkerchiefs around their pantaloons, over the place affected, thus preventing friction, and stopping the evil; but this is not advisable for a permanent preventive. A bandage of cotton or linen over the injured part will serve the purpose better." p. 44

Or on shelter tents: "Two men could button their pieces at the tops, and thus make a tent entirely open at both ends, five feet and two inches long, by six to seven feet wide according to the angle of the roof. A third man could button his piece across one of the open ends so as to close it, although it did not make a very neat fit, and half of the cloth was not used; four men could unite their two tents by buttoning the ends together, thus doubling the length of the tent; and a fifth man could put in an end-piece.

Light poles made in two pieces, and fastened together with ferrules so as to resemble a piece of fishing-rod, were given to some of the troops when the tents were first introduced into the army; but, nice as they were at the end of the march, few soldiers would carry them, nor will you many days." p.73

How to Camp Out apparently, was transcribed for the Gutenberg project and living historians were the main beneficiaries.
    See here:

or: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/17575

I hope this is useful to people.
    Yours, etc.,
    Matt White
    Yours, etc.,
    Matt White
    http://www.libertyrifles.org/
    http://www.cwurmuseum.org/
    http://www.military-historians.org/

"One of the liveliest rows I had while in the service was with the quartermaster for filling a requisition that I made for shoes for my company, on the theory that no shoe was too large for a Negro, and he gave me all 10's and upwards. When I returned the shoes, informing him that my soldiers did not wear pontoons, he insisted that I should take them and issue them to my company anyway. Well, I didn't do it: consequently the row."
    -Robert Beecham 2nd Wisconsin/23rd USCT

Re: "How to Camp Out" by John Mead Gould

What a great reference, definitely of interest enough to print out and read. Thank you for sharing it.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Matt,

Thanks for posting that link. Gould is also known for another work that is well worth reenactors reading, and you'll find that cited in a certain publication.

Here's a nice little bio site:

http://www.geocities.com/~jmgould/jmgould.html
      Last edited by Charles Heath; 07-14-2007, 02:55 PM. Reason: Speeeeelingk
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

The Civil War Journal of John Mead Gould should be read by all reenactors. That said, the thing isn't exactly easy to find and, when you do, it costs about $50. Still, it is without a doubt one of the very best, most detailed accounts by a Federal soldier. Gould was an officer, initially with the 10th Maine of the Army of the Potomac; he served with, I believe, a total of three Maine regiments by war's end. Much of his wartime exploits were in the 10th, where he was a lieutenant and often served as the acting regimental adjutant.

There's just too much 'good stuff' in that book to recount here--one could scan and then cut-and-paste something from virtually every page as eye-opening and applicable to reenactors.

Comment

Thank you for finding this book, lots of good infomation! Saved me 50 bucks.. on my HD forever...

Comment

Originally posted by fire_zouave View Post
            "When the soldiers found their pantaloons were chafing them..."
            Words cannot express how comforting it is to read those words. Not only did I chastise myself for being a modern reenactor in similar straits, but never did I imagine that this problem afflicted actual soldiers of the time (or proto-living historians, if you'll allow).

I can't wait to get this book. Many thanks for bringing attention to its existence.

Your Obedient Servent, &tc.,
            Last edited by mtvernon; 07-18-2007, 09:45 AM. Reason: typo
            Joe Marti

...and yes, I did use the search function...

Comment

Friends Mr White was kind enough to include a link to the text online... an easy shortcut for you folks to copy and paste and home and print out for your own info. This is a non-copywritten text so there is nothing illegal about doing this.
              Here is the html link:http://www.gutenberg.org/files/17575...-h/17575-h.htm
              Cheers

Brett "Homer" Keen
              Chicago
              [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Comrades,

You don't even need to print it out if you don't want to. It's easy enough to read on your computer. Just download it and enjoy. I did :)

Respects,
                Tim Kindred
                Medical Mess
                Solar Star Lodge #14
                Bath, Maine

Comment

I can probably produce this as a softcover book for less than $10, if people are interested in having such a thing. Comments welcome before I plunge in (not an overwhelming amount of work, but not negligible, either.)

Anything left after costs would go to historic preservation. Costs would probably be met after 25 books.

Thoughts welcome.
                  Bill Watson
                  Stroudsburg

Comment

I tend to agree that if living historians can find the money they should purchase Mead's journals. However, if you don't have the 35 to 100 dolllars, depending on where you purchase your copy, then "How to Camp" for free on-line does nicely as a primer on federal army campaign life.

I do think it might be worth printing, especially if the proceeds go to preservation and it can be sold for cheap.

As an aside, while flipping through the book again I noticed this:
                    "In general it is better to put the shelter-tent in the roll, and to keep out the rubber blanket, for you may need the last before you camp. You can roll the rubber blanket tightly around the other roll (the cloth side out, as the rubber side is too slippery), and thus be able to take it off readily without disturbing the other things. You can also roll the rubber blanket separately, and link it to the large roll after the manner of two links of a chain."
                    I suppose that is another vote in favor of keeping your rubber blanket handy.

-Matt White
                    Yours, etc.,
                    Matt White
                    http://www.libertyrifles.org/
                    http://www.cwurmuseum.org/
                    http://www.military-historians.org/

"One of the liveliest rows I had while in the service was with the quartermaster for filling a requisition that I made for shoes for my company, on the theory that no shoe was too large for a Negro, and he gave me all 10's and upwards. When I returned the shoes, informing him that my soldiers did not wear pontoons, he insisted that I should take them and issue them to my company anyway. Well, I didn't do it: consequently the row."
                    -Robert Beecham 2nd Wisconsin/23rd USCT

Comment

After reading this post yesterday I entered in the title at www.bookfinder.com (a must for finding cheap good books). I came up with one seller with this title at $16.95 plus another $6.10 for shipping.

I'll be the guinea pig for this in the absence of further review, but it sounds like a dream come true. The claim is that each book they sell is an 'on-demand' publisher and that it takes a week to print, bind, and ship the new book. Here are a few quotes from the site:

"The text content of our publications are not photo-facsimiled; all of our products are newly typeset for excellent readability. All of our illustrations are digitally enhanced for clarity and printing brightness. The books in both our Libraries have a highly useful red-ribbon bookmark bound in. All text blocks, including those for Booklets, are printed on 70 lb. cream-coloured paper for reduced print-through and higher opacity. If the book is from the nineteenth or early twentieth century, its appearance is as close to the original as possible."

"The books in our Timeless Reading Library are all high quality hard-cover editions with laminated dust jackets. Most books are 8vo (Octavo, 8 1/2" x 5 1/4"). The inside front and back covers are of a royal-red cover stock and the cover itself is a two-colour cream stock, often with full-colour artwork. The jacket is vinyl laminated for cleanliness and durability."

This company has a wealth of titles on many different subjects. Not all of them are bargains, however; the Memoirs of W.T. Sherman, for instance, is $64.95, and I'm sure is a beautiful edition, but one can find a nice edition much cheaper. For this book in question, however, it seems like this may be the way to go for a hardcover edition that doesn't break the bank (Wow, I should write infomercials!)

By the way, the name of the company is The Press at Toad Hall, and their website is the following addressink: http://www.dngoodchild.com/front_pg_7-06.htm

If anyone has prior experience with these people, I'm sure it would help illuminate the value of ordering through them.

Respectfully,
                      Joe Marti

Comment

As an addendum, here are The Press at Toad Hall's list of Civil War-specific books and prices:

Civil War, The
                        Hospital Sketches, Louisa May Alcott, #12792, 124 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95
                        Army of the Cumberland-The, Henry Martyn Cist, #12795, 200 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $17.95
                        On the Trail of Grant and Lee, Frederick Trevor Hill, #12797, 202 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $17.95
                        Captains of the Civil War, William Charles Henr Hood, #12798, 196 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95
                        Andersonville-Volume 1, John McElroy, #12800, 175 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95 Add to Cart
                        Andersonville-Volume 2, John McElroy, #12801, 175 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95
                        Andersonville-Volume 3, John McElroy, #12802, 161 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95
                        Andersonville-Volume 4, John McElroy, #12803, 197 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95
                        Day of the Confederacy-The, Nathaniel W. Stephenson, #12804, 156 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95 rt
                        Webster's Seventh of March Speech and the Secession Movement, H. D. Foster, #12821, 36 pages, Booklet, $9.95
                        Campaign of Chancellorsville-The, Theordore A. Dodge, #14695, 171 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95 t
                        Great Conspiracy-The, John Alexander Logan, #15273, 583 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $34.95 rt
                        Observations of a Reitred Veteran, Henry C. Tinsley, #15926, 102 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95
                        Mohun--or The Last Days of Lee, John Esten Cooke, #16078, 384 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $22.95
                        Great North-Western Conspiracy-The, I. Winslow Ayer, #16229, 192 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95 t
                        Report on the Condition of the South, Carl Schurz, #16436, 201 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $17.95 Add to Cart
                        Military Reminiscences of the Civil War--Volume 1, Jacob Dolson Cox, #16682, 453 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $25.95
                        Military Reminiscences of the Civil War--Volume 2, Jacob Dolson Cox, #16683, 554 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $34.95
                        United States Since the Civil War-The, Charles Ramsdell Lingley, #16966, 428 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $25.95
                        Uprising of a Great People-The, Count Agenor de Gasparin, #17732, 230 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $17.95
                        American Indian as Participant in the Civil War-The, Annie Heloise Abel, #19476, 350 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $22.95t
                        Andersonville--Volume 1, John McElry, #19478, 151 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95
                        Battle-Pieces and Aspects of the War, Herman Melville, #19479, 146 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95
                        Great Britain and the American Civil War, Ephraim Douglass Adams, #21719, 722 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $44.95
                        History of Kershaw's Brigade, D. Augustus Dickert, #21720, 602 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $44.95
                        Historic Papers on the Causes of the Civl War, Mrs. Eugenia Dunlap Potts, #21721, 74 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $10.95
                        Cruise of the Alabama and the Sumter-The, Raphael Semmes, #21722, 328 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $22.95
                        Nord Contre Sud, Jules Verne, #21723, 269 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $19.95
                        Co. Aytch--Maury Grays First Tennessee Regiment or a Side Show of the Big Show, Sam R. Watkins, #21724, 192 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95
                        Heroes of the Great Conflict, James Harrison Wilson, #21725, 110 pages, Octavo,HdCvr,DJ, $14.95
                        Joe Marti

Comment

I just received my copy of the book. Apologies for blurry camera phone images.

For what the price is, it's a great copy. Underneath the dust cover is the same image as on the front on the 'real' cover. The cover seems to be a very heavy card stock, so a little chintzy, but only a little. The print is clear and binding seems to be well done. There's a ribbon bookmark that'll be handy. I'm not a bookbinder so I can't really comment with much authority, but I'm very impressed at what less than twenty dollars will buy you here, especially as any other copy in any other condition will be at the least thirty dollars more than this. Good gamble.

[IMG]Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket[/IMG]

Last edited by mtvernon; 07-29-2007, 11:31 PM.
                          Joe Marti

Comment

I think I can beat that price and still have something left over for battlefield preservation. I'll let you all know very shortly. And I know I can beat that postage.

The tricky thing here is preserving the pages as they are numbered, because of the invaluable index at the end. Hard to do that gracefully and my printer doesn't have the original size this thing looks like it was printed in, maybe 4 x 6. MtVernon, does that look about right? Their printer seems able to do the Print on Demand thing for smaller sizes than I've currently got available.

I think that's a binding called "perfect," by the way, and its the minimum sturdiness you can have and still sell your books to libraries ....

Back to paginating ...
                            Bill Watson
                            Stroudsburg

Comment

Read it yesterday. What a great simple text on backpacking! A lot of items still apply, even today! Gould mentions wearing a shirt modifed to go over your suspenders. Has anyone ever seen a period shirt where this was executed? Presuming he's describing something he's seen, not just making something up. He's right about breast pockets, too; they're always damp with perspiration. I'd recommend this book to anyone doing an infantry impression.
                              Rob Weaver
                              Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                              "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                              [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Working...
                              X