Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McElroy's "Si Klegg" stories - Books 1 - 4

Folks:

For a couple of years we've mentioned the existence of two versions of the story of Corporal Si Klegg and His Pard... the version by Wilbur Hinman with which most of us are familiar, and then the "expanded" stories serialized by John McElroy in the National Tribune between 1897 and the early 1900s. Unlike the Hinman version, the McElroy books have not been re-published for the living history community, or anybody else for that matter, and for the most part they''re getting difficult to come by in the used book market. I had posted some excerpts from Book #2 on the old forum, but these were lost in the crash late last year. I started collecting these back in the spring of '04, and due to the delicate condition of the original copies, started scanning them in for day-to-day reference & recreational reading.

At any rate, for your pleasure, here are the first four volumes of McElroy's stories, which carry the 200th Indiana from its formation up thru the battle of Chickamauga:

Book 1: Si Klegg: His Transformation From Raw Recruit to a Veteran (3.9 Mb)

Book 2: Si Klegg: Thru the Stone River Campaign and Winter Quarters at Murfreesboro (2.2. Mb)

Book 3: Si & Shorty Meet Mr. Rosenbaum, the Spy, Who Relates His Adventures (2.0 Mb)

Book 4: Experiences of Si & Shorty on the Great Tullahoma Campaign (1.0 Mb)

These make an excellent companion to the Hinman volume, and provide a little additional information to that noble work. A personal connection: Si and Company Q come from the "Bean Blossom Crick" community in Posey County, "Injianny," and my father's family at the time of The War and the antebellum period was from adjacent White County, IL and Posey County.

I'm working on adding Book #5 and Book #7 to this collection, but am missing #6 and #8. Any pointers to finding these missing volumes would be greatly appreciated...
    Last edited by Tom Ezell; 07-17-2007, 10:17 AM. Reason: a little proofing on the URLs
    Tom Ezell
Working...
X