Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Columbus Depot Type I Thread (Litterally)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Columbus Depot Type I Thread (Litterally)?

Alright, I have decided to add a CD Type I to my kit. I am going with a County Cloth kit. The problem I am running into is that I am in Iraq, so research is a little hard to come by, but time I got. So here is my question. I cannot find any documentation for the kind and color of thread used, and the pictures that I can pull up aren't exactly helping. I am... well presupposing... that either logwood dyed or whited brown cotton, but I am more basing this on other jackets that I have made, not solid research. Has anyone made a good note about this topic from looking at originals?
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
    Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Re: Columbus Depot Type I Thread (Litterally)?

Hallo!

In brief and to over-generalize...

IMHO, since the Columbus Depot was operating under the "arsenal system" of creating "kits" to be made up into uniforms- there is a variety weaves, textures, and colors among surviving jackets based upon what the Columbus Depot received in at the time, and from time to time. (And who had what in their "kits" to use when they sewed up jackets).

The top-stitching on most surviving jackets seems to have been done with "dark color" thread with medium brown being common, including some sewing machine work.
    On the surviving "Jones jacket", the thread used was dark brown.
    On the surviving "McDonnell jacket," the upper thread was a dark blue and the interior thread was a medium brown.

Again, bieng brief and over-generalizing...

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Greetings, and a "thank you" for your service to our Country! That being said, I have a CD jacket in my panapoly that was crafted by Chris Daley, based upon the McDonnell jacket. Chris correctly used dark blue thread for the topstitching and dk. brown for the interior of it's construction. CD's are nice jackets! Best regards, Tom
      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Color is a relatively easy answer, but what about kind? Cotton or linen thread? From what I understand there were few linen manufacturings in the South, but how that would effect the supply of linen thread in the early to mid portion of the War, I do not know. Does anyone have experience with the type of thread used on either of the 3 type I's, or any of the known CD's?

Thanks for the help so far.
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
        Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
        Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Comment

Working...
        X