On County Cloth Kits . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On County Cloth Kits . . .

I've read on the archived posts that County Cloth is regarded rather highly in terms of authenticity of pattern and material. My question concerns their kits themselves.

Of those of you who have worked with their kits, how did you find their ease of assembly? Any difficulty with directions? Any roadblocks encountered unexpectedly, and what resolutions did you make? How much handsewing was required, versus machine sewing (jackets and trousers only)? Any other helpful comments?

I've seen their website and I like the appearance of their products. Any advice will be welcomed.

Thanks,
    Lynn Kessler
    Lynn Kessler
    Co. C
    Chesapeake Volunteer Guards
    The Southern Division

Re: On Country Cloth Kits . . .

Here's my amended instructions for Mr. Child's kits:

1. You need an intermediate level of hand sewing proficiency in order to perform all stitches required of you. I think everyone in the hobby should know these stitches, but not everyone knows what "bar tacking" is etc...
    2. Give it a day to read the directions are let his words soak in, as you read along look at the diagrams that are provided.
    3. Get yourself some chalk to mark fabric, in case you need to number pieces for yourself.
    4. Go step by step in order and take your time, make sure you understand each operation before you start.

It's not hard at all, just take your time.

Brett "Homer" Keen
    Chicago
    [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Thank you, this is quite helpful.

Lynn Kessler
      Lynn Kessler
      Co. C
      Chesapeake Volunteer Guards
      The Southern Division

Comment

If you have an example of the thing you're trying to make, that never hurts either. After you make a couple of garments from his kits or patterns, you'll get the hang of how the instructions are written.

I have since purchased other patterns with much more detailed instructions and find myself longing for the simple, straight-forward phrasing of CC instructions.
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I'll second Mr. Wickett. If you know how to sew, the County Cloth instructions are entirely functional, and anything else is just a speedbump. However, having a second set of instructions to refer to (provided they're good instructions) could help you through any roadblocks. Asking for help in the Camp of Instruction forum will usually get you some good answers from people who have assembled more than a few County Cloth kits, too.

It doesn't hurt to have an example, and actually, it doesn't hurt to practice using some cheap denim for a first project.

How much hand sewing vs. machine sewing is partly dependent on the item you're making and partly a value judgement on your part. You can machine everything but the buttonholes and be 100% authentic, if you're copying a garment that was originally machine sewn (they do exist), or you can hand sew everything that shows (topstitching, pockets, and cuffs on a jacket), or you can hand sew the whole thing.

County Cloth kits come to you with the parts that go together stacked together (like the back belt with the back belt lining), which is immensely helpful. The only road block I ever ran into was how to properly do a Richmond Depot trouser fly, which isn't really intuitive, even with the diagram. Look at how another pair of trousers is assembled, and you'll get it.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask for help.

Cheers,

Michael
          Michael McComas
          drudge-errant

Comment

Echoing everybody else that has posted I have found County Cloth patterns to be quite easy to use relative to other patterns.

On the other hand I haven't tried to many other makers' patterns since CC is universally accepted as authentic.

As another said, his patterns follow the same type of layout and instruction order regardless of the garment.

His patterns will become like an old friend if you sew much.

Regards,
            Mark Wallace

Comment

Has anyone made the Schuylkill arsenal infantry roundabout? I've been longing for one for a while now. I'd just like the opinion of someone who's been hands on with one before I get myself in over my head.
              -Rob Williams
              Ft. Delaware State Park
              Independent Battery G Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery

"...as sometime happened, there was a company of cavalry out on drill, to engage in a sham fight with the battery...for while cavalry swept down on the guns at a gallop, with sabers flashing in the air, the cannoneers with guns loaded with blank cartridges, of course, stand rigid...until they are within a few rods of the battery. Then the lanyards are pulled..."
              p. 185 Hardtack and coffee

Comment

Unless you've put together a good amount of garments I would personally stay clear of putting together an SA Infantry jacket.
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

Working...
                X