Period Eyewear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Period Eyeglasses

I've had luck with Ed Welch. He has an extensive selection, prices are reasonable, and he shipped mighty quick.

When I was making my selection, he sent me dozens of sets of digitial images of sizes and styles to pick from.

Just my two cents.

Fred Baker
    Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

I contacted Reenactment Eyewear aroung the beginning of July, asking for a price and timeframe on glasses. I was told about 2 weeks. I figured just in case of extra orders, events etc. When I hadn't recieved them by the end of July, I emailed them inquiring about my order. I recieved a response around July 27th saying they should go out that weekend. Still nothing. I figured with the mail it may take a little longer. I then emailed again asking how they send the orders and was to by priority mail. When I still didn't get them, I emailed once again, around Aug. 16th and was told they went out that day. I still have not recieved them. Since then I have tried emailing and calling them and have not recieved any response. I was wondering if anyone has tried to get in contact with them recently? I hope nothing has happened to Don. Thanks for any help.

Jim Pribula

Originally posted by ephraim_zook
      Greg,

One option springs immediately to mind -- Don Griffin's Reenactment Eyewear in Williamsport, PA. He sets up shop at many events, too. I'd look around for period frames in antique shops, flea markets, ebay, then have Don make your prescription to fit. Someone gave me frames. I left them with Don, who made the lenses for me and mailed them back. Didn't cost a whole lot.

I guess you'd find other optometrists who would do the same thing for you, if they don't try to get you to part with your frames first. Look to individual practitioners. I don't think you'll have much luck with the big chains like Pearle Vision.

Ron Myzie
      Jim Pribula

Comment

Another option, if you're not legally blind and can't walk without glasses, is to try a few events without eye correction.

I can't see folks clearly past about 10 feet, but it doesn't hinder me in historic settings to go without spectacles. And, since I usually forget mine, this is what I normally end up doing. The key is to stop trying to focus on everything, and let it be blurry.

It won't work for everyone, but it is a period-appropriate option. There's not much need for vision correction just to see the hind end of the mule and plow.
        Regards,
        Elizabeth Clark

Comment

In my pre-eye surgery days I had a nice pair of specs.

I went through the assorted antique malls until I found a nice suitable period pair of glasses that showed "no" signs of previous repairs.

The case the glasses came in were even marked by the original maker.

I then took my known prescription for my glasses and had a local eye glass shop (Actually a local Grocery store with an opitcal center) cut them to specs using the original lenses as a template. They were great until I didnt need them anymore.

total price:

Gold Frame Glasses: $30.00
          New Lenses: $31.00

Worked for me. :D
          Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
          Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
          Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

I found a pair of period frames for twenty dollars. I gave them to a friend of mine who is an Optometrist and he put my prescription lenses in them, but also sent them out and had them re-finished (they were a mess) and now they look like they would have had I bought them in 1861 (or there abouts). In fact I wear them a good portion of the time out of the hobby.
            Just my two cents.
            Vive la Compagnie
            Charlie Spickler
            Co. I Mess
            CWPT Member

Comment

I took the plunge one day and found a nice pair of brass frames for forty dollars. I then spent thirty five for lenses and have had no problem and lots of luck with them!

Comment

I will added this to the topic, that no one as mentioned. I have found all three of my period frames on ebay. At a lower price then any repo I could find. Plus they were in great condition. I still use them from time to time, if I don't want to wear my contacts. I due know that sometimes its hard to change that lens if it is a pin style. But all three of mine were put together with screws. I got my len's changed at wal=mart. But not sure yours will do it, the gentleman that did mine collected antique eye wear. Well just my little though about them.
                Thanks
                Daniel MacInnis
                Adair Guards
                Commonwealth Grays
                [URL="http://www.westernindependentgrays.org"]WIG[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.westernfederalblues.org"]Western Federal Blues[/URL]

Comment

Just wanted to update everyone. I recieved my eyeglasses today. I'm very happy with them.

Jim Pribula

Originally posted by jimmip
                  I contacted Reenactment Eyewear aroung the beginning of July, asking for a price and timeframe on glasses. I was told about 2 weeks. I figured just in case of extra orders, events etc. When I hadn't recieved them by the end of July, I emailed them inquiring about my order. I recieved a response around July 27th saying they should go out that weekend. Still nothing. I figured with the mail it may take a little longer. I then emailed again asking how they send the orders and was to by priority mail. When I still didn't get them, I emailed once again, around Aug. 16th and was told they went out that day. I still have not recieved them. Since then I have tried emailing and calling them and have not recieved any response. I was wondering if anyone has tried to get in contact with them recently? I hope nothing has happened to Don. Thanks for any help.

Jim Pribula
                  Jim Pribula

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Just a caveat to be an informed and educated consumer here when it comes to WHAT are period glasses/spectacles/eye wear.

Although I do not wear, or have to wear, vision correcting devices of any kind.. I often see old and antique and wire frames/wire rim type glasses being sold by some vendors as "Period" when their period is actually more 1920ish through 1940ish.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt brings up my exact concern. I wear glasses, and would like a period correct pair, at some point. But everytime I get tempted to buy a pair, I decide not to because of my ignorance on what is and what is not period correct in eyeware.

Is there a guide (simple article etc) put together somewhere that can aid in this lack of knowledge?
                      ~ Chris Hubbard
                      Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
                      [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

I would recommend reenactment eyewear to anyone. Someone I know ordered a pair, he cut the bifocals and put them in. They were done in around two weeks. He wears them at every event, and they are great. Don Griffin is a really guy and is more than willing to help.

I hope this helps,
                        Court Micker

Comment

In keeping with what Curt said about identifying period correct styles of 19th Century eyewear, check some of the assorted references.

Lord's Encyclopedia does have a couple of pairs in the assorted volumes.

I also did a search under:
                          " 19th Century Eyewear"
                          "19th Century Spectacles"

Several sites came up, especially under Medical antiques, that featured many styles of glasses from both the 18th & 19th Century. Many of those sites, however, did not appear on the first page, and you will have to scroll through some worthless sites.

Also, speak with your opthamologist. He may be a collector himself, or know of some local sources that may hold some intersting specimens. Mine was a collector, and even used some very vintage tools, lense sets, etc. in his practice. Thank God my MD doesnt :D

It's a start.
                          Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                          Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                          Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Things come full circle

Belive it or not, there's an optician out here in Montecito that handles a 'modern' line of frames from a Germen manufacturer that are period correct.. The only kicker? They come in Platnium or Gold and start at $ 800.00 per set. but hey, tract homes out here go for $750,000.00
                            Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
                            Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
                            Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
                            Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
                            Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

Eyewear vendors

I have to have lenses changed in some period frames. Any recomendations on who does the best work and the best price.

Mike Nichols

[

Comment

Re: Eyewear vendors

Your answer can be found in the Yellow Pages. Any optometrist in your home town can do this.
                                Bill Young
                                WIG/GHTI and a Hoosier by the grace of God
                                Jubilee Lodge #746 F&AM Whiteland, IN

[URL=http://ghti.authentic-campaigner.com/]G.H. Thomas' Invincibles[/URL]

[URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                X