Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly Deformed Slouch Hats

Gents,
    I've been thinking about this for sometime.

In photos that we see of confederate prisoners slouch hats tend to be more soft and a bit misshapen to better conform to the wearers head. It seems that now-a-days living historians tend to keep there slouch hats in more pristine condition than our ancestors did. Granted we do pay $100-$120 for a good hat.

But you don't have to throw your nice expensive hat in the mud for it to look more authentic. I don't think our ancestors would have done that either. Wear it more often in the rain, mold it to your head, get it nice and comfy.

These are just my thoughts. What do you think?

Respectfully,
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Re: Slightly Deformed Slouch Hats

Wearing a hat for a weekend at most ten times a year dosen't come close to the wear a campaign would put on it. Reenactor's hats (and everything else for that matter) are in far better condition simply because we don't wear them as much.

Taking measures to make your hat look more weathered isn't necessary. It'll get rough and beaten by just wearing it.
    Andrew Donovan
    Michigan

I think many of us get nostalgic about the past and like to think somehow that the world our mid-19th century ancestors lived in was free from many of the "sins" of our present world. Truth is, the more you study the past the more you realize that there's really nothing new under the sun. They struggled with many (most) of the same problems we do today.
    -Ian McWherter

Comment

I would have to agree 100%. Now i know we pay alot for our gear and for some to keep it in tip top shape is a must but to be honest this just did not happen as many would hope. I have read several acounts out of a personal diary i own at my house (which i will post a bit later) and it reads like this (or to this fashion *not exact)

"and as hard as they try the boys always come out looking like a hard days work had taken them under. Our clothes dirty, shoes worn just to wake up and do it again the next day. As we lacked the efficent time to straiten our selves up there was little we could do....."

Later on it reads that the time they had to clean was spent cleaning themselves more than the uniforms. My impression reflects one who is well just about as average as it gets. I do not make my stuff dirty i let it get that way if it gets stained i leave it to spend the time and mula to fix it is crazy as alot of times these men did not have acess or the time to do so. Just my two cents.

BEN
      Pvt. Benjamin N. Jenkins
      Muddy Water Mess

<b>Do NOT buy from this User</b>

Comment

Hallo!

Ah... you haven't seen my hats then.... ;) :)

Seriously, I do not think about my hats. They are what they become, and the form they take.
        Meaning.... after first "personalizing" them, (by tugging here, punching in or out there, twisitng a brim up or down... I ignore them.

Hat goes on, hat goes off. Hat goes on, hat goes off. Hat goes on, hat goes off.
        It gets bleached by the sun, soaked by the rain. Speckled by splashing mud. Dusted by settling dust. Sweated and sweat marked in the heat. Some brims with binding shrink with age and curl up a bit.
        Many times it has been a crushed pillow. A water bucket. A fire fan. A ration bag. A bug swatter.
        Sometimes a Whoppie Cushion on the back seat for teh ride home...
        A creased sugar-loaf hat once served as a puppet....

Hardly pristine... ;)

Others' mileage, and hat relationships, will vary...

Curt
        Mad Hatter Mess
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I have a pristine slouch hat and a slightly deformed head that it sits on. But seriously:wink_smil I would bond with my slouch hat if I could only find one that in ANY condition more closely resembles the originals I see on display and in so many period photographs. I have owned slouch hats from Tim Allen, Tim Bender, and Clearwater Hats, and simply cannot effect a style/look/personality that I personally am pleased with. I possess a narrower-than-usual head (although I'm kinda broad-minded) and the result is anything with a wide brim looks like a sombrero, and anything with a domed crown looks like Jiffy Pop up top, and therefore I nearly always opt for the forage cap (albeit with a small disk, oy, because of my vertically-oriented visage). As a side note, does anyone have any further recommendations for dead-on hat types that I haven't tried? I am not willing to opt for plastic surgery at this point in my life. You made great points Andrew!
          Joe Madden
          13th New Hampshire Vols.
          Co. E
          Unattached

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO, the culture of the hat was killed by President John Kennedy.

I just crushed and telescoped a "bowler" last week because I looked liked the Lucky Charms leprehcuan in it.

IMHO, we Moderns are at a serious disadvantage when it comes to the Culture of the Hat and the "statement" or "presentation of self in everyday life" a hat could effect.
            But at the same time, in looking at Period images, sometimes I am hard-pressed to fathom what statement or image the owner THOUGHT he was trying to achieve (same for hair styles...)

In my experience, the search for The Perfect Hat is endless. Some times one must do, make do, or do without.
            I have found for me (and whether anyone else would agree or not is another discussion)...
            One way is to pour through Period images with an eye for what "bases" or "foundations" one can find that:

1. Might work or look good on you, AND
            2. What hat blanks or finished hats are available "out there" that can be turned into what is seen in the image(s) chosen

Number 2 is best done when one can try the hat on, as what looks doable in a catalog or web page and what looks like a cow flopped on your head when you put it on, may not be the same.

And last...

As with uniforms, sometimes one simply has to "make do" with what one was issued, traded for, stolen, or private purchased. And at times, the way it looks- historically accurate, stupid, dumb, killer, kewly, or goofy is just the way it looks.
            For sometimes, the lads in the Period pictures look historically accurate, stupid, dumb, killer, kewyl, or goofy.

Others' mileage, and hats, will vary...

Curt
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I have to agree with what Andrew said.

"Taking measures to make your hat look more weathered isn't necessary. It'll get rough and beaten by just wearing it."

Indeed it will.
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Slouch hats are like all-purpose things. They can be a rain hat, a pillow, a bucket to pick berries into, a bellows for the fire, a fan for yourself. I've even got complimented on mine a few times by strangers in modern settings, when they didn't realize I was on my way to an event.

I recently took mine apart (lining, sweatband, hat), soaked the hat and reshaped it, washed the lining, and need to make a new sweatband since the old one wore in two, and then reassemble the thing.

They don't last forever, but you can always eke a little more life out of them.

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@voyager.net
                Hank Trent

Comment

I don't know why, but no matter what I do, none of my hats ever look like photographs. It's my head shape. It has to be. So I stick to my Black Hat. They look goofy on everybody.
                  Rob Weaver
                  Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                  "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                  [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt View Post
                    IMHO, we Moderns are at a serious disadvantage when it comes to the Culture of the Hat and the "statement" or "presentation of self in everyday life" a hat could effect.
                    Here, here!! Well said. This is one of scores of little details of everyday life and culture that are lost to the passing of time. We can get things right in technical detail (fibre content, stitch count, etc.), but not get the spirit, essence, "feel", or what-have-you (i'm not even gonna atempt to spel that French fraze) of the period.

I viewed a pick of Taft making a campaign speach in my home town recently. Not a bare head in the crowd and there was every type of hat you could imagine. Today, all one sees are baseball caps and stocking caps and the statements the wearers are entirely different.
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger
                    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I had this hat made at the Blue Bonnet hat shop in Norfolk Va. in 1982 using an article about an original hat in the North South Trader magazine as a guide. It was impossible to find a good CS slouch back then. (There was no AC forum to ask "who makes the best hat".) It cost $75 which was a fortune at that time. All trim and sweat band hand sewn and good stiff 100% felt. Silk ribbon and leather sweat band. In the first picture it is about 3 years old. It has started to change shape after a few years of use and a very rainy Sailors Creek event. The other picture was taken in 2005. I still wear that hat. It is faded, floppy and very comfortable. It is showing cracks and holes from age and the weather (just like me). If you wear your Tim Allen or Bender slouch hat at every event you attend for the next 25 years, it will gather enough wear time to resemble the well worn covers of the boys of 61.
                      Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:38 PM.
                      Jim Mayo
                      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Sirs,

This is not exactly on point to the look or weathering of a hat.
                        Or maybe it is.

It seems to me that it's kinda like breaking in a new pair of brogans.
                        You buy the right size and style of either but the "fit" isn't quite right once you are off the showroom floor. You have to break them in.
                        Not just pull them out of the closet however many times a year.
                        Initially , to conform a hat to your head, simply fully dip it in water and wear that sucker till she dries. And then wear it weekends, kids soccer games, trips to Home Depot, whatever.
                        Sure, at first you might feel a little strange, ( people are Looking at me! ), but that will pass. It will begin to feel natural. Like wearing glasses for the first time. Weird to begin with, but after a while you don't notice.
                        At this point your hat is not just a hat , but rather a part of you personae.
                        You are comfortable with it, and it is comfortable with you.

And that is the end result I look for.

Regards,
                        Kevin Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                          (i'm not even gonna atempt to spel that French fraze)
                          je ne sais quoi ;)
                          Yr Most Ob't Serv't,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance

Comment

I have to agree with this.Yes,we are not wearing them on campaign.Does that mean that our uniforms look clean because we "aren't on campaign"?I find it rather odd that someone is trying to portray a "campaigned veteren" wearing muddy trousers,a beaten haversack,yet what looks to be a brand new slouch hat.I do agree in having one decent hat to wear for parades,memorial services,early war,ect.Yet we should all have beaten slouch hat to wear for campaigned looks.The slouch hat I am wearing in my CS ferrotyoe is a Tim Allen I owned it for about a year and half at the time of the photo.I just wore it to events and there you go.So yes,we are not "on campaign",but that does not mean the slouch hat has to look like it just came out of the box.That,too,can break an impression.
                            Just my two cents.
                            Cullen Smith
                            Cullen Smith
                            South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

It takes time; there's no doubt about that. I bought an M1883 campaign hat for Span-Am back in 1997, but it didn't look like the ones in the pictures from Cuba until about six or seven years had passed. Those guys were there for only a couple of months!

There are some things you can do to speed up the process, but you are essentially doing the same thing that campaigning would have done. To wit:

Wear it in the rain. Let it dry in the sun while you're pulling weeds (or while you're drinking beer after pulling the weeds). If it gets too tight, stretch it back out - using your hands. Grab it by opposite sides and pull, or put your hands inside the sweatband and push them apart. (Isometrics - builds up the forearms.) I am reasonably certain that few soldiers had hat-stretchers.

Dirt? Stand near a road construction project. You'll get plenty of dust and grit on it. Or work in a stable, as my daughter does.

In other words, do all of those things which would make a hat-maker cringe.

I bought a low-crown bowler last year, and expect that it will be in fine fettle right about the time of the 150th anniversary events. Whether or not I will be is a whole 'nother story. ;)

God bless.
                              [FONT=Times New Roman]Yours most respectfully, your obedient servant,[/FONT]
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
                              [FONT=Times New Roman]R. L. ("Rob") Griffiths.[/FONT]
                              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Member, Civil War Preservation Trust.[/I][/FONT]
                              [FONT=Times New Roman][I]Authentic Campaigner member since November 10th, 2004.[/I][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][I]"I am not aware of ever having used a profane expletive in my life, but I would have the charity to excuse those who may have done so, if they were in charge of a train of Mexican pack mules at the time."[/I] - U. S. Grant[I].[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X