Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Richmond Grey" Kepis?

Okay, I'll admit it, I like the kepi.
    While it's true that the slouch hats help keep the sun off of your head, etc. I just happen to like the "look" that the Kepi gives, (and honestly when we were younger and read and/or played "Civil War", we thought of soldiers in Kepis, (the funny little hats), and so I've got a "love/hate relationship" with them.
    That being said...
    I've got a chance to buy a Kepi for my impression. It's a nicely crafted one, and fits me very well.
    It's in "Richmond Grey" wool.
    Now as I know it, Richmond Grey wool is a dark grey, (almost blackened) wool.
    I've not seen too much about it, in my research, so I was wondering how common this material and color was, and if so, was it used for kepis?

Thanks in advance.

Michael T. Murphy
    Pvt. Co. A 33rd Va.
    Michael T. Murphy
    Pvt. Co. A 33rd Virginia

"The captain said to "fix bayonets!"...I told him that mine "wasn't broken..."; Then the 1st Sgt told me that "I was "special"...And THAT's why I'm on guard duty...again..."

Re: "Richmond Grey" Kepis?

Is it from one of our members? Look around the Vendors list and you will most likely have all of your questions answered.

Here's a good place to start: http://www.kabar44.com/headwearKepi.htm
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Hallo!

IMHO, by-and-large...
      The terms "Richmond Gray" or "Tuscaloosa Gray," etc., are hold-overs from a certain vendor's wool broadcloth clothing line going back to the 1980's.

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Not to be contrary, but I would like to see a posting of a photo containing an original enlisted man's kepi made from the same color/wt as the BG kersey now being used in jackets. I think there was one at the Smithsonian at one time, but can't remember for sure. I have some old Childs BGK I was going to have a kepi made out of - but have hesitated until I saw some documentation. Thre may have been something already posted, but I haven't seen it since I have been a member.

Thanks,

Joe Walker

Comment

Sorry- but I need to add I am talking about the dark BGK such as found in the British/Tait jackets, not the "cadet gray" that is normally associated with officers.

Joe Walker

Comment

Curt is absolutely correct! All of those names applied by this well-known purveyor of CW type uniforms were their "house" identification of various colors to market to the unsuspecting, none of which had any relationship to original garments! My favorite was Tuscaloosa Grey.....

J
            [FONT=Times New Roman]H. L. "Jack" Hanger[/FONT]
            [I]"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at with a rest, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!"[/I] Chickamauga, 1863

Comment

Working...
            X