Confederate soldier serial numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate soldier serial numbers

I was wondering if the Confederate States assigned individual serial numbers to newly enrolled recruits?
    The only reference I can locate regarding individual serial numbers comes from an obituary of Shirley W. Palmer who served two 6 months tours of duty during the Civil War. Enlistment number one was with the 5th Georgia Infantry (Allum's company, State Guards) where he was enrolled as serial number 45520380. His second enlistment apparently got him assigned a second different serial number of 45574205! This second tour was served with Fannin's Company K of the Georgia reserves.
    I can find no muster rolls or discharge papers that reference individual serial numbers but Mr. Palmer apparently had one (Two). Whether each state assigned their own serial numbers, or some states had them and others did not, or the Central Confederate Government issued them itself eludes me.
    Any enlightenment that could be provided would be great.
    Thanks, Bob Lendt

Re: Confederate soldier serial numbers

While US, I think this will answer your question.

If the Union summarily dismissed official dog tags until 40 years after the ACW, where would the CSA get such a notion?
    Last edited by JimKindred; 08-07-2007, 11:08 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary remark toward original poster.
    Ley Watson
    POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Bob,

See if you can contact Robert L. Palmer to learn where he picked up that info back in July 2001.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I seem to recall my GGG Grandfathers parole paperwork and pay records from the CSA Govt we found at the National Archives having a SN on it as well. I will check this weekend at my grandmothers house and see what I can find. He was in the 4th VA Cav.

Chris Williams

Comment

Bob,

As has already been alluded to, neither the Union nor the Confederacy issued serial numbers to their men.

"The US system of assigning numbers to individuals began for enlisted men during WWI (Feb 1918) and to officers by 1924. Called at first army serial number," it became "service number" in 1954 and was replaced in 1969 by an individual's social security number." http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/...i/identify.asc

If you could provide us with the exact wording from his obituary, perhaps one of us could figure out what the numbers meant.

Chris - the number found on your ancestor's paperwork is most likely a file number assigned to his records by the War Department after the war. It is nothing more than a number used for cataloging and filing purposes. It's not a serial number.

Eric
          Eric J. Mink
          Co. A, 4th Va Inf
          Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Here's one place it's mentioned online:

I have two of the records for Shirley W. Palmer for times he spent in service during the Civil War. He served under Allum's Company, 5th. Georgia Infantry (State Guards) for one six month's time of duty. Serial number: 45574205. The second tour of duty was with the: Company "K" (Fannin's) Georgia Reserves. Serial number:45520380. Each of these tour of duty were for six months each.
            I'm wondering if the numbers had something to do with the post-war record-keeping system? Pension applications also had numbers, but not generally that high.

Hank Trent
            hanktrent@voyager.net
            Hank Trent

Comment

Hallo!

Just an aside...

Not to be confused with the soldier's "number" as entered in the company record books for matters of pay, quartermaster, and ordnance department issuances/accountability, etc.

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt:

Excellent point.
                Ley Watson
                POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Comrades,

I have to agree with Hank and others. I suspect it is a post-war file number of some sort relating to either service records or pension records.

Respects,
                  Tim Kindred
                  Medical Mess
                  Solar Star Lodge #14
                  Bath, Maine

Comment

Thanks to all of you who responded. The obituary writer must have made an error.

Bob Lendt

Comment

Working...
                    X