Canteen Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canteen Query

I have tried the search engine once and have'nt found all i needed to know yet. Could someone refer me to some Websites or articles on the deminsions of Gardner Canteens? I thought i had found a site a few years ago with good pics but can't recall where or what it was. I would be much obliged. With Regards, Clifford Earl Hyde

Re: Canteen Query

This may be able to help some:http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/cscanteen.html
    Cullen
    Cullen Smith
    South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

The Watchdog published an excellent article some time ago by Charlie McCulloch on four original Gardner pattern canteens in the collection of the Atlanta Historical Society...

If'n you ask Craig Barry nicely, I'm sure he can find you a copy...
      Tom Ezell

Comment

For what it's worth, my research suggests the average was about 2 3/8 inches wide and about 7 1/2 inches in diameter.
        Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Thanks Guys for your assisstance. Clifford Earl Hyde

Comment

Oh, another thing i meant to check into was: was it typical for both sides od Gardners to have rounded faces or flat facesClifford Earl Hyde

Comment

Clifford,

The huge majority of Gardner Pattern canteens have lath turned faces with the edge trimmed down to fit into a slot on the staves. Every maker had a different face design. Heck, as far as I know, every lath turner had a different design! A few are flat with just the very edge turned down; some are flat in the center, with beveled edges; but, the majority have a slightly curved face. Most are rather crude affairs. Remember, they were made by the lowest bidder. But, some are real works of art. As an example, the Horse Soldier, in Gettysburg, had a canteen where all the staves were half sapwood and half heartwood. The staves were matched, so that the sides of the canteen had stripes of dark and light wood. This canteen was so tight, it looked like it would hold water today.

The "Canteen Book" is a good source of information on both Confederate and Federal canteens.
              Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Working...
              X