Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Staining a wooden canteen

Hallo!

IMHO, the white oak straps were a "wet cooperage" hold-over from the 18th century wooden canteens where the thin (5/32 or so) loops of straight grained oak were soaked for days and then twist-locked with a tab and slot lock into a loop and forced wet over the soft clear pine staves of the canteen body to shrink dry firmly in place.

Curt

Who once let one dry out, and the staves all fell out into a pile on the floor Mess
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Bill, I have one of those beasts on the credenza in my office. It’s sort of a Mega-Gardner. Same basic dimensions, just twice the size. This one does have two burl nozzles on it; one is corked and the other has a primitive copper filter tip. Iron bands and two bails for some sort of handle, strap or rope. No way was this thing toted full by a human.

Kurt, IMHO the tag line should read: "...let one dry out and its a canteen kit mess".
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh View Post
        Kurt, IMHO the tag line should read: "...let one dry out and its a canteen kit mess".
        Any wooden water toting device requires approximately the same amount of care and feeding as a three year old child.

"Turned my Wooden Buckets into Stovewood and Bought Tin Ones Mess"
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh View Post
          Garrison and Kurt,

The same problem holds true with the metal bound canteens. For some reason I do not understand, wood seems to lose it's ability to expand after it's been allowed to dry out a few times.

I've repaired canteens for people who've allowed them to dry out and have had to reduce the diameter of the bands by as much as a half inch to get them to hold water again. These were canteens I made and know they were water tight when new.

My canteens were made from cedar and cherry. Other wood species may act differently.
          Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Working...
          X