Confederate "Hardee" hats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate "Hardee" hats?

I tried the search function for this, but came up empty handed. If this has been answered before, please point me in the right direction.

I've seen countless photos of Union soldiers wearing Hardee hats during the war, but what of their Confederate counterparts? Did a substantial number of Confederate troops (specifically, any ANV troops from 62-63) wear Hardee style hats? I'm not talking about ones loaded with brass, hat cords, or plumes. I'm simply referring to plain, unadorned Hardee hats. The early militia uniforms of the unit I portray (17th Miss. Inf.) include Hardee hats, but say nothing about these hats being used later on in the war.

Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Rich Stonikas
    Co. D 17th Mississippi Vol. Inf.
    Rich Stonikas

Re: Confederate "Hardee" hats?

Rich - try this - under search this is the first thing that came up under Confederate and Hardee Hats, a good thread that is still ongoing.

Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by Illinois Reb View Post
      Did a substantial number of Confederate troops (specifically, any ANV troops from 62-63) wear Hardee style hats?
      If it's just style you're after, I would go with a Spanish crown hat.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
      Cincinnati

Comment

Is this what you were looking for? Flat River Guards, 6th NC. This gentleman is wearing a US Army hat with 1833 Infantry insignia.

Mark Berrier
        North State Rifles
        Attached Files
        Mark Berrier

Comment

I figured since there were a great deal of Hardee hats worn by Yanks, a few must have also found their way into Confederate hands. I looked through photos, but had been unable to turn up any Confederates wearing them.

The photo of the Flat River Guards that Mark submitted did help a great deal (thank you!), however that photo may have been taken early in the early war, and I'm still curious as to their use in '62 or '63.

This all originated when one of my pards began thinking of adding a Hardee hat to his impression. Our unit portrays an 1862-'63 ANV impression, and I know that pre-war militia companies in Mississippi wore Hardees (including some companies of the 17th MS when it was frst formed), but was not sure if they would be correct for later in the war. Thus I was not sure how to advise him.

Rich Stonikas
          Rich Stonikas

Comment

There is the famous photo taken at Gettysburg, that back in the day had originally been id'd as "dead from the Iron Brigade", depicting Confederate KIA laid out for burial ( it appears in Frassanito's book)...The reason for the misidentification is that one of the dead Confederates has an old battered Hardee hat partially covering his face. Obviously some Rebs did wear them...Best regards.
            Tom "Mingo" Machingo
            Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
            Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
            Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
            KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Great image! Thanks for posting it!!
              Tom "Mingo" Machingo
              Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
              Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
              Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
              KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Working...
              X