CS Officer Sashes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: officers sash.

1509. For officers of the General Staff and Engineers, and of the Artillery and Infantry – red silk
    net. For Officers of the Cavalry – yellow silk net. All with silk bullion fringe ends; to go around
    the waist, and to tie as for General Officers.

From the REGULATIONS FOR THE ARMY OF THE CONFEDERATE STATES

Sinc,
    LtCol John Owens USMC
    John Owens

Comment

what about union cav?

Comment

1505. For Officers of the Adjutant-General's, Inspector-General's, Quartermaster's and Subsistence Departments, Corps of Engineers, Topographical Engineers, Ordnance, Artillery, Infantry and the Judge Advocate of the Army- crimson silk net; for Officers of the Medical Department-medium or emerald green silk net, with silk bullion fringe ends; to go around the waist and tie as for General Officers.

1861 U.S. Army Regulations: Uniforms & Equipage

Funny how it doesn't mention Cavalry. I will have to do some more looking.

Sinc,

LtCol John Owens USMC
        John Owens

Comment

Hey Jason,

I have been researching this a little too, as to, who makes the most correct version of an officers sash in cut, color, and material. I think so far all we have to choose from is what the general sutlers can provide. This basically consists of the "Indian-Pakistan" type, being the bulk made of silk (I think) net, and polyester/rayon tassels.

Unless there is someone out there producing a more authentic repro, this is what we have to choose from. Another option is making a "home procured" or militia sash, like what is pictured on pg. 111, Echoes of Glory. This would take buying a silk fringe, and silk fabric to make. One like this is not what you'll usually encounter at events, and kinda under represented in my opinion. A final option is looking at what G. Gedney Godwin has. They carry a few neat antebellum, Rev. War, and War of 1812 era sashes. I don't know how correct these sashes are made or what they are made of, but can't be any better or worse than the Indian "regulation" sashes usually purchased. With one of the pre-war sashes you could at least weave a cool story of how your father may have served in the Virginia Militia or even in the Mexican War.

Good Luck
          Christopher E. McBroom, Capt.
          16th Ark. Infantry - 1st Arkansas Battalion, C.S.A.

Little Rock Castle No. 1
          Order of Knights of the Golden Circle

Comment

Originally posted by mrgrzeskowiak View Post
            what about union cav?
            Cavalry officers of the U.S. Army wore the regulation, crimson/wine-colored sash.
            Tom Ezell

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ezell View Post
              Cavalry officers of the U.S. Army wore the regulation, crimson/wine-colored sash.
              From a post just above:

"1509. For officers of the General Staff and Engineers, and of the Artillery and Infantry – red silk net. For Officers of the Cavalry – yellow silk net. All with silk bullion fringe ends; to go around the waist, and to tie as for General Officers."

The question not being asked or answered here is, How common were commissioend officer sashes in campaign situations? It all depends on the occasion, time portrayed, unit portrayed, etc., but in general I suspect that few officers on the march ori in battle wore a sash. Mind you, I'm NOT saying that no one should be wearing them, because there's certainly ample documentation that some officers did wear them in battle.

In the field, I typically do NOT wear a sash. At garrison events when I'm portraying an officer, I DO typically wear one when on duty. I ALWAYS wear when when detailed as the Officer of the Day regardless of the scenario, and when I'm an officer at a ceremonial occasion such as a parade or cemetery ceremony, I virtually always wear a sash. However, that's how I do it and I'm not saying that's how others SHOULD do it.

Comment

Pard
                I am portraying a staff officer in a garrison type scenario.
                I agree with you that if i was on campaign i would not wear a sash .
                i have now obtained a sash from a pard who has loaned me his until i can purchase my own.
                I thank everyone for their replies on this topic .

I am looking forward to the change in scenario ,however i do prefer to to be on campaign with what i carry in my haversack and knapsack or blanket roll.

best regards
                Jason Tailford
                co g
                Nottoway Grays
                18th Virginia Infantry

Temperance Mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
                  From a post just above:

"1509. For officers of the General Staff and Engineers, and of the Artillery and Infantry – red silk net. For Officers of the Cavalry – yellow silk net. All with silk bullion fringe ends; to go around the waist, and to tie as for General Officers."

The question not being asked or answered here is, How common were commissioend officer sashes in campaign situations? It all depends on the occasion, time portrayed, unit portrayed, etc., but in general I suspect that few officers on the march ori in battle wore a sash. Mind you, I'm NOT saying that no one should be wearing them, because there's certainly ample documentation that some officers did wear them in battle.
                  Kevin:

The quote up above came from the Confederate regulations, which having the foresight to see what sort of farbery they would be creating for future generations, did indeed prescribe yellow sashes for the cavalry arm. Granted, I've never seen a real one, but that's what Mr. Davis's regs called for.

The U.S. regs said simply, crimson for line officers, buff for generals, green for the medical corps.
                  Tom Ezell

Comment

Working...
                  X