Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old tinware

Greetings,
    As I meander through this forum the places to post threads can be a bit confusing. (You guys got a BUNCH!) So I hope I posted this one in the right one. Does anyone know the thickness of the tinware that was prevailent during the civil war?
    I've aquired a good quantiy of hot dipped tin plate but it is of about 28 guage and my be a bit thin for some of the cups and gear I plan to make.
    The hot dipped coating should last longer than the modern stuff but the metal may dent a little easier.
    Any facts on the old stuff and how thick it was will be appreciated.
    Many thanks
    Robert Stone

Re: Old tinware

It sounds to me like the real question here is, "What authentic items can be made out of hot dipped tin plate of about 28 guage." Asking what size tin was used on items after you've already purchased the tin and put together your own list of what you plan to make from it is kinda like shutting the barn door after the lifestock has wondered away.

A better question you might consioder asking is where there are specific tin items you'd like to produce, what it takes to examine them, and then take a pair of calipers with you so you can check this seemingly crucial bit of information for yourself. The originals were made more than a century ago but are out there to be examined and copied still.

Best of luck with this project.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Working...
    X