Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theo Frank hat

Hello y'all,

I just received a Theophilus Frank hat from Tim Allen. I had seen one being worn a while back at a LH and liked it very much. Now that I have it, I'm at somewhat of a loss as to how it should be worn (brim up, down, flat, one side up, crown up, flat, etc). I was wondering if anyone knew of pictures of this type of hat that would be of help? I have looked in my reference material, on the net, etc. but am unable to come up with any myself.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Theo Frank hat

Hi Steve:
    Shoot me an e-mail at msusnis@hotmail.com and I'll send you a copy of an article titled "Confederate Issue Hats" by Bob MacDonald from the North / South Trader. Mr. MacDonald discusses the Theophilus Frank hat in detail along with another hat of similar provenance that belonged to the Horse Soldier in Gettysburg. I too also own a Frank hat from Mr. Allen and am very pleased with it.

Thanks,
    Mark Susnis of Virginia Beach
    Mark Susnis
    Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

Mark,

I sent you an e-mail. Thanks!

Comment

Gents:

Strictly speaking, neither hat profiled in the article can be absolutely defined as to the manner in which it was worn. The Frank hat comes much closer based on the positions of the sweatband seam, the tassel remnant and the directly opposite button site. One factor that might bear repeating is that both the Frank hat and "the 32nd slouch" were provided or modified for buttoning up, the former via a coat-size button shank passing through brim and crown and the latter with a slash in the brim thru which to pass a button sewn to the crown.

As to photographic support, without too much fantasizing, several of the lads within the classic White House Landing image appear to be wearing hats virtually identical to the Frank style. If, however, the article's hypothesis of "militarized" civilian soft hats being an item of state or central government issue has validity, a given style was likely worn by hundreds in the ranks on any given time day, pointing to a "personal fashion statement" being the primary variable in appearance. IMO, that is, individual preference and creativity were likely of greater influence than was the initial stock hat in yielding "the look."

Cordially,

Bob McDonald

Ps: One photo that, for a change, provides a relatively close-up view of a hat
        very similar to the Frank style is found in one of the three Alsop's death
        scenes, i.e., the "one of Ewell's men" Spotsylvania series.

Bob McDonald

Comment

Civilian hats were one of the soldier's ways to express his individualism (Outside of maybe a shirt or neck tie). My suggestion is to wear the hat the best way that suits you. The Frank hat is very similar to a flat top, a very, very common style. Some good examples of these types of hats I have seen show the brims laying down, with some wear and tear, showing ridges in the brim. A flat top that I particualrly like is seen in this photo. The man to the far right is sporting one that has an altered crown, and slightly curved brim. This accents his cold staring, rebel appeal. Like I said, do whatever suits you best.

Comment

Working...
          X