Sack coat lining?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sack coat lining?

What is the best kind of sack coat lining to get at the Skillet Licker and County cloth? thank you

Re: Sack coat lining?

Originally posted by hardtack1864
    What is the best kind of sack coat lining to get at the Skillet Licker and County cloth? thank you
    I don't know if there's a "best," but Mr. ************ endorsed the idea of polished cotton or sateen for the lining when I purchased my fabric from the Skillet (I live nearby to Mr. ************'s workshop, and had the pleasure of handling and seeing a number of original artifacts from his collection, including the officer's leather and painted cloth haversack that is in production now). He suggested osnaburg or muslin for the sleeves, saying the two should be different is because it was presumed a gentleman would be wearing a vest, so there would be no "bleed" onto his shirtfront. But since a vest has no sleeves, the sleeve lining of the coat should be a light color to prevent color "bleed."

Sorry, I assumed you were asking civilian sack coat. The linings for fatique blouses seem to range from jean wool to logwood-dyed flannel (the most common from what I've been told). Ben Tart makes a wonderful logwood flannel that will turn brown with exposure to the sun.
    Last edited by Bill Cross; 01-17-2004, 02:14 PM. Reason: clarification
    Bill Cross
    The Rowdy Pards

Comment

I'm sorry I meant a grunts sack coat, not a officers coat. Also when you mean flannel you mean Domet flannel right and do you know of any cheaper cloth used in federal enlisted sack coats like brown polished cotton or Osnaburg? Thank you
      Last edited by ; 01-17-2004, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Sack coats that were lined with flannel did NOT use "domet flannel" which was a cream/off-white colored material that, to describe it very simply, has the texture of a burlap sack; a commonly used description of it during the period was "rather coarse and scratchy". This material was used in countless Federal-issue shirts but was not the only type of flannel used in the prodution of Federal uniform jackets/blouses.

Comment

I'm sorry, but I'm getting very confused. On the County cloth web site they say they have sack coat flannel, but nothing about the flannel your talking about? All I asked is what kind of lining should I get from the Skillet licker and County cloth for a Federal enlisted sack coat that is about $10-15 a yard.
          I'm sorry for not making those things clear and what type of material should I get from the Skillet licker and County cloth for making the coat it's self. Thank You.

Comment

Both Charlie Childs and Skilletlicker would be great sources for the material you are looking for. I would suggest contacting both to get more information on the materials. Also, as mentioned above, Ben Tart produces an exelent type of lining also.

Just so you know for future references, there is no exact "correct color" for sack coat linings, seeing as the government lined them with whatever flannel or jeans wool they had at that time. So, any source of materials mentioned above would be perfect. Also, I forgot to mention this, but Family Heirloom Weavers would probably also have the lining you're looking for. Im not 100% sure but I would suggest you look into all 4 of these places before choosing.
            Last edited by privstull; 01-17-2004, 10:39 PM.
            Ryan Stull
            37th NC Co B
            stull6@charter.net

Comment

Don't forget about Family Heirloom Weavers.

Brown or Blue Jeans were common as well as light wieght wool flannels.
              [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
              [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
              [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
              [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Take a look at John's site and you can see the variety of lining colors used in sack coats.

Bob Clayton
                [url=http://www.sykesregulars.org]Co. C, 2nd U.S. Infantry, "Sykes Regulars"[/url]
                Honoring the proud history and traditions of the U.S. Army
                [url=http://home.comcast.net/~coffeeboiler/sykes_pics.htm]Photo Gallery[/url]

Comment

Working...
                X