Maynard Blanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maynard Blanks

Does anyone know how to make , or anyone who sells .50 caliber blanks for a Maynard (original) Carbine? I know where you can buy brass, but was wondering what type of wadding was being used, as well as the measure of powder.

Re: Maynard Blanks

I have used the search function and found this question. I am in the same boat as the OP. I think I might have some luck with COW in my metal cases and the original owner used TP. I am looking for some advice.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mike_Schramm; 07-11-2010, 06:07 PM. Reason: Removed reference to a non-authentic version of cases.
    Mike Schramm

Just another FARB trying to get better.

Comment

There are two types of Maynard .50 cal cases available today.

#1. Reduced internal capacity cases. These are usually used by the shooter end of the hobby/sport. They are not, nor should they be considered "original" .50 cal. Maynard cases.

#2. Full internal capacity cases.
      These are loaded much the same and a Colt revolver cylinder. Instead of six chambers to the cylinder, you load each casing separately. With your powder of choice, preferably fffg Goex.
      Fill the casing full, then compress it (like you would in a revolver cylinder per chamber) but in most instances, this will be done with a properly sized wood dowel rod and a soft mallet on a very flat surface.
      Fill the remainder of the compressed powder space with a "good" grease. Not Crisco! A good high pressure, high temperature grease like baring grease. (high pressure/high temp baring grease holds up very well as a cartridge case plug in all kinds of weather. Unlike Crisco.)
      Nothing come out of the barrel but atomized (vaporized) grease and a small amount of unburned powder.
      Any other type or style of wadding can become like a projectile. Potentially causing harm and/or injury at some much greater distance. (10 to 15 feet, compared to 30 to 40 "yards" for some wads)
      Just a suggestion on my part!
      Last edited by Blair; 07-11-2010, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Thank you Blair. These are the full sized cases and I will try the grease...
        Mike Schramm

Just another FARB trying to get better.

Comment

Working...
        X