Hair Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair Oil

Alright Gents, we know it was talked about in the "'Ole A/C" but now when I need the info, it 'taint around here...

Hair oil...what is a modern day obtainable substitute that still fits the bill as best as possible?

Regards and Thanks in advance,
    -Mike Montgomery
    [FONT=Arial][B]Mike Montgomery[/B][FONT=Arial]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Re: Hair Oil

Hi,

I found the following at this website:

Cassia Bark
    Cassia oil is extracted from cinnamon bark and tastes and smells very much like cinnamon but is stringer and more bitter. In China cassia is considered one of the great spices. It is often used in skin care and cassi extracts were mixed with almond oil to make Macassar oil - a popular Victorian hair oil for men.

You can also apparently make your own. A recipe for macassar oil is on the "Household Cyclopedia" site:

Oops, looks like the page is lost. Start your website on the cheap.

Macassar Oil.

Take oil of benzoin, 8 qts.; oil of noisette, 4 qts.; alcohol, 1 qt.; essence bergamot, 3 oz.; spirit of musk, 3 oz.; spirit of Portugal, 2 oz.; essence of roses, 2 drs. Mix, and keep the whole over a water-bath for 1 hour. Then digest for a week, stirring several times daily. Color with alkanet.

I also found this 1913 definition:

Macassar oil
    (Ma*cas`sar oil") A kind of oil formerly used in dressing the hair; — so called because originally obtained from Macassar, a district of the Island of Celebes. Also, an imitation of the same, of perfumed castor oil and olive oil.

Here is an 1880's ad for this product:

Adverts for macassar oil published during the Victorian era.

Various types of modern shampoos still use macassar oil:

You might also want to check out "Ylang Ylang Oil," which is used in macassar oil.

So, it seems, "macassar oil" may have been more of a generic term since there were numerous "recipes" for making it.

Hope this helps,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Comrade,
      You oght to take a trip down the isle in a well-stocked drug store and see what's available for "pomades" as well. I could also reccomend "Wild Root" hair cream. I cannot vouch for the period properties or even the original date for these items, but they will give you the same look. If nothing else, a bit of olive oil ought to do the trick as well.
      respects,
      Tim Kindred
      Medical Mess
      Solar Star Lodge #14
      Bath, Maine

Comment

I used a pomade last year. It was fine and stayed in my hair (even after washing) until the PL G-Burg event. We sweated so much that weekend that the pomade was literally sweated out of my hair (that was quite a shocker). By Sunday there was nothing left. Besides that extreme example, the pomade worked pretty good and it was easy to get in the super market hair care aisle.
        Just my two cents.
        Vive la Compagnie
        Charlie Spickler
        Co. I Mess
        CWPT Member

Comment

I use "Todd's Hungarian Balm, Scented Hair Oil" that I bought from Corner Clothiers (Brian Merrick and Kara Bartels). It is a period recipe sold in a period container. I am very Happy with it. They also have bottles of "Triple Spiced Cologne" from an 1850's recipe if you decide to spruce things up a bit :)
          Brian Koenig
          SGLHA
          Hedgesville Blues

Comment

I've noticed that after a week in the woods away from civilization, my hair is quiet "moldable" without the application of any additional oil. :)

Comment

Working...
            X