aging a sack coat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aging a sack coat

hello everyone i just purchased a brand new daley fatigue blouse and i was wondering is there anyway to age the coat so when I hit the event it wont look like im a new recruit

Brandon Sedlmyer

Re: aging a sack coat

That's a qualitity coat made to last. Only thing you can do is get it dirty. Of course you could go out this Sat and play football in the mud. That outa do it.

All kidding aside, Every soldier had a new coat at one time or another. Just wear it and let it age naturally.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Jim Mayo has exactly stated my opinion on the matter... there's only one way to age a reproduction item and thats to wear it.
      Paul Calloway
      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Hi,

I would agree with the previous post. Just let your coat "age and mellow" on its own. Some other things to consider are:

1. If you do enough reading, you'll quickly note that most troops were inspected on a regular basis (e.g., every Sunday morning) whenever possible. Smart commanders were known to offer incentives to those displaying the best appearance (e.g., passes to town or at least relief from drill or picket duty).

2. Men with any lick of sense kept their uniforms in good repair. This was due to the fact they were given the money from the unused portions of their annual clothing allowances upon mustering out. This could be a relatively hefty sum--often the equivalent of several months' pay.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Remember it is one of the only pieces of clothing you own, you have to wear it 24 hrs a day 7 days a week, and it has to look good on Sundays. Just wear to several LHs and It will be broken in before you know it. If you do this then you will not need to replace it for some time. Im on my 3rd (two lined one unlined) in 15 years.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

"looking like a recruit" - is a mindset you should try to break. Men were
            issued clothing, etc. in the field depending on need, annual issuance, etc.

And like others have said, you were inspected regularly so you don't want to stand out like a sore thumb with big splotches of mud down your front just to "look cool". Natural wear and tear is one thing, fabricated aging/patina is another (bad)....

So just wear the sack and you'll be fine.
            Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
            – George Washington , 1789

Comment

I agree with all the others who have posted here. Artificially aged anything looks like just that, artificial.
              John Stillwagon

Comment

Pard:
                they6've pretty much nailed the hammer on the head!I did see our battery cook let his sit out in the sun a little while , to darken the fibers is what he said. I don't know if it works.

Rob
                Very Respectfully,
                Robert Young

Comment

Hallo Kamerad!

Darken the fibers?

The effect of exposure to UV light is the opposite, it "bleaches" or "fades" dyestuffs by breaking it down, even modern aniline dyes.

;-)

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I agree with everyone here...Time is the only thing that will age your coat. Remember...soldiers didn't want to be dirty, they were just victims of circumstance. I'm sure that if these boys would grap at a new uniform in a minute or wash up at their will. Your pards may josh you around, but new clothing is just as authentic as older( as long as it's a good make- of course). Just my humble opinion...

Respectfully,
                    Ryan McIntyre
                    124th New York State Volunteers
                    Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
                    Joseph H. Johnston
                    March 16th 1863
                    Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
                    Henry M Howell
                    March 8 1863
                    In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

It was not uncommon in the Army and the Navy to "trade" or otherwise "convince" a new recruit to give up his new uniform in exchange for the honored threads of a veteran. Vets appreciated new uniforms as a glance though any first person account will usually show.

never heard of a vet turning a uniform down because he was afraid folks would think he was a new recruit...

ineptitude at drill, 21st century talk etc are much more likely to lable you a fresh fish than a newly issued sack coat

having said that, if it is a 44 or a 46, I know some pards with worn sack coats that would gladly trade with you :D

put that baby on, shoulder your gun and join the army...won't take long to get the look on your shoulders.
                      Soli Deo Gloria
                      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper
                        having said that, if it is a 44 or a 46, I know some pards with worn sack coats that would gladly trade with you :D

Not a bad idea Doug, maybe he is willing to swap for the coat a burned a hole into the back of sleeping to close to the fire.
                        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I think mismatched uniforms define a vetern better anyways. Having an aged pair of pants and a new jacket blend seems to show the man has seen the elephant.
                          You could come up with a thousand stories on how you got a new jacket. Stolen from quartermast stores, ripped by a piece of shell, traded your old one to a fresh fish, lost in a bordello during the provost marshall raid, the list is endless.
                          Too often we see men in muddy ragged uniforms, both shirts and pants. My humple opinion is alot of men who have mismatched clothing, based on the circumstances of campain and battle.
                          Dusty Lind
                          Running Discharge Mess
                          Texas Rifles
                          BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

Working...
                          X