Prisoner Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prisoner Photos

Ive been searching the net for two POW photos "Prisoners at White House Landing" and "Prisoners at Belle Plain-The Punch Bowl" with no luck. Ive found plenty low quality scans but not any high resolution . I have been spoiled by the LOC's collection of high rez photos but was disapointed not to come across these two great photos. Can anyone help me?
    Thanks
    Eric "Woody" Woodward
    Eric "Woody" Woodward

Re: Prisoner Photos

Originally posted by delawaric
    Ive been searching the net for two POW photos "Prisoners at White House Landing" and "Prisoners at Belle Plain-The Punch Bowl" with no luck. Ive found plenty low quality scans but not any high resolution . I have been spoiled by the LOC's collection of high rez photos but was disapointed not to come across these two great photos. Can anyone help me?
    Thanks
    Eric "Woody" Woodward
    Frassanito writes that "Prisoners at White House Landing" exists as a plate, #9292 in Brady's catalogue, but doesn't say where it is housed. According to the LOC, the entire glass plate collection has been scanned, and the only images that have yet to be added to the online collection are:

Photographic prints in the Civil War Photograph LOTs that either do not have a corresponding original negative or do not have a corresponding copy negative that has been made available online. The division plans to add these to the online collection.
    Original prints by George Barnard and Andrew J. Russell (see Related Resources for a list of these and other groups of Civil War photographs).
    The Division has a few original portrait photographs of Abraham Lincoln, but most of its Lincoln portraits are copy prints. Online catalog records are available for some daguerreotypes and other portrait photographs relating to Lincoln.

The images of the Punch Bowl only exist as photographic paper prints, unfortunately, so the level of detail won't be as striking as it would be from the original glass negative.
    Last edited by ThehosGendar; 01-24-2004, 11:30 AM. Reason: Stupid typing
    Jason R. Wickersty
    http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
    Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
    Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
    Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
    Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

A few years back, some guy (possibly named James?) showed me copies of the prisoner pics which had been enlarged to a considerable size. Some of the details I can recall were...
      Rebs wearing/holding gum blankets (evidently it had recently been raining).
      A reb with his drawers hanging out of his trowser cuffs.
      Many examples of Issac & Cambell packs (at least one guy was sitting on his).
      A reb wearing a very, very full knapsack w/ a frying pan strapped on the back.
      A reb with an overcoat (in May!).
      A reb wearing... GAITERS!
      [SIZE=1]Neal W. Sexton[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Masked Battery
        A reb wearing... GAITERS!
        No! Don't say that! *faints*
        Jason R. Wickersty
        http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
        Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
        Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
        Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
        Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Working...
        X