Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ink Tablets

Pards,

I just got some ink tablets as a present. The trouble is that i have never used ink tablets before, so i have no idea how to mix them or with what. I would really appreciate some help.

Respectfully,
    Ryan McIntyre
    124th New York State Volunteers
    Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
    Joseph H. Johnston
    March 16th 1863
    Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
    Henry M Howell
    March 8 1863
    In camp Near Falmouth

Re: Ink Tablets

The ink tablets that I'm familiar with are used for chinese brush caligraphy. I'm not an expert, but I've seen them dipped in a small amount of water, then ground against a small stone well to produce the ink. The ink doesn't keep more than a day or so. I'm not sure how it will work with a nib pen. But that's a start for you. Depending on your location, you might check with a specialty arts supply store that carries caligraphic or ink brush painting supplies.

John Taylor
    John Taylor

Comment

Had a chance to think about this a bit. Are ink tablets correct for CW use?

John T
      John Taylor

Comment

Interesting question -- what are these ink tablets?

As far as what was used, para. 1130 in the Revised Regs tells us that each company, for example, was entitled to a quarterly issue of the following stationery supplies: five quires (120 sheets?) of writing paper; ˝ quire of envelope paper (or 50 envelopes); 20 quills (or “steel pens, with one holder to 12 pens”); ˝ ounces of wafers (for sealing envelopes); three ounces of sealing wax; one paper of ink powder; and one piece of “office tape.”

In addition, each office table warranted “one inkstand, one stamp, one paper-folder, one sand-box, one wafer-box, and as many lead pencils as may be required, not exceeding four per annum.”

Quartermaster returns also mention ink bottles. I've seen no mention of ink tablets. Not that there weren't any -- I just haven't seen it.

You can obtain black oak gall ink (and sepia walnut hull ink) from John Neal booksellers. Both of these natural inks work very well with a dip pen. I've had mixed, but reasonably satisfactory, results with the much-less-expensive Higgins Eternal, but I recommend whatever works best for you and your pen. India ink and the ink used in oriental brush calligraphy are probably not especially good choices, as they're thick and would tend to clot up your pen.

But I'm interested in hearing from others on this.
        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

I was always taught to mix ink powder (or lamp black for that matter) with red wine--its works admirably with a dip pen and keeps well--it does need a good shaking before use.

I'm clueless though, as to the origin of the practice, and whether or not its a reenactorism, as I learned it from a great uncle who started doing Rev War back in the 1960's. :o
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

The ink tablets that I'm familiar with are Asiatic in origin. Very useful for travelling, but I think the powder form is actually correct for the period. I'm familiar with tablets through the Korean and Chinese communities. (Only problem with studying a wide-range of time periods and cultures, I occaisionally get mixed up what's correct for a specific time and place.)

I realized that they most likely weren't correct for CW use when I was looking at 19th C travelling inkwells and realized that none had a place to grind the ink tablets.

Ink and Red wine, hmmm? That would explain a lot about 18th and 19th C poets.

John T
            John Taylor

Comment

Working...
            X