Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Haversack Patterns

Pards,
    Are there any good Confederate haversack patterns available out there? Maybe the Bailey haversack.

Thanks,
    Andrew Turner
    Co.D 27th NCT
    Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Re: Confederate Haversack Patterns

Hi,

I have never heard of a people selling haversack patterns before, this is not to say that they don't I have just never heard of that. When I make haversacks I generally look at original pictures and copy them. The size of the haversack is a little harder to figure out from pictures, but since I have some reproductions I base the size off of them. Some Civil War books do have the size of the haversacks listed, also some venders also have the size of their haversacks listed. Hope this helps.
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Andrew,

The Confederate Sketchbook is probably the closest to a commercial CS Pattern you will find. The haversack in the sketchbook belonged to Moses Alexander of Alabama.

Having looked at the Bayley haversack, I can tell you that it is "roughly" the same dimensions of the Moses Alexander haversack, and has the addition of a full lining. The Thomas J. Jackson haversack is very similar in construction as well.

Paul B.
      Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
      (Loblolly Mess)
      [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
      [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

I know this thread is a bit old, but I have found 2 patterns for haversacks. Harriett Engler has a pattern, which doesn't appear to be a Confederate one, but Gallarock has a 3 button pattern that is supposedly based on a Southern soldier's haversack.

Comment

I've sewn two in the last two weeks. I just the measurements of pictures and the do the math and bring them up to scale. I use the estimated hight of 5'6''. So far I've sewn a untarred version of the 18th Va., and a copy of Lt. Hammelton's, and both of them turned out pretty well.

Garrett Glover
          1st Texas Light Artillery
          Battery K
          Garrett Glover

Comment

I've made a Bailey Haversack. If you want I can send the measurements/material, etc. Heck if you want you can buy it. First time I made it though I got the paint wrong and had way too little linseed oil - so when you folded it and it began cracking :confused_ I've redone it though and its holding up nicely but I've never needed to use it.
            [FONT="Georgia"][B][SIZE="3"]Paul Norris[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]
            [SIZE="2"][B][FONT="Georgia"]19th Alabama Infantry
            [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]
            [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
            Backwaters 1865 - S.U.G., Company A

Comment

I think the most simple haversack is the Moses Alexander pattern but you had better not won't to carry much in it. I have used one for two years and like it verry much.

37th Tenn
              Chris Hornady

Comment

Hi,

Paul, could you send me the measurements/material,etc. Thanks.
                Andrew Kasmar

Comment

Thanks for the offer Paul but I really haven't thought about this project for a while. I'm busy making a shirt now.
                  Andrew Turner
                  Co.D 27th NCT
                  Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Andrew,

Contact the Museum of the Confederacy and if you are a member, they are more than happy to share their research with you on the haversacks they have in their collection. It is better than guessing at what the measurments should be!
                    Don Woods
                    Member ABT

Comment

Hi,

Thanks.
                      Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I'll give a museaum a hollar next time. But it didn't turn out bad scaling it up. I found out the Baley haversack is 12''x12'', mine turned out 12 1/4 by 12 1/8 and I based mine off a picture in EOG.

Garrett Glover
                        Garrett Glover

Comment

Working...
                        X