Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parker Hale Enfields

Hi,

I am curious to hear the thoughts on the old Parker Hale Enfields? I might be able to purchase one that was originally bought back in the 80's.

Thanks,

Kevin Coyle
    CS recruit
    Kevin Coyle

Re: Parker Hale Enfields

As shooters, live fire, they are first rate.
    As CW era Enfield for Authentic Campaigners, they still need some tweeking (bands, swivel, and escutchens).
    See Craig L. Barry's excellent book "The Civil War Musket..." for all the details, or use the search function here as this topic has been touched on many times.
    Of all the Enfields now available, right out of the box, it is still the best.
    IMHO
    Steve Sullivan

Comment

Also, does anyone know the going proces for a Parker Hale these days?

Thanks,

Kevin Coyle
      CS Recruit
      Kevin Coyle

Comment

The English made Parker Hale is a difficult gun to find. When you do find one, the P-53 model goes for around 600 or more depending on condition. The skirmishers like these guns so there is usually a buyer. I have a defarbed one and it is very close in weight and feel to an original. The only thing I don't like is the two piece stock but I have had mine for 15 years with no stock problems so I wouldn't worry.
        Jim Mayo
        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hallo!

The British Parker-Hale (as compared to its current weak clone the Italian Parker-Hale), is a reproduction of the P1853 4th Model Enfield, a type not used in any numbers, if at all, in the American Civil War (most being stored and used for the Snider breechloader conversions.
          It formed the basis or the model for the incorrect Italian reproductions.

While the British PH was recreated using the Sealed Patterns from the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Locks, and as such are so much closer to the dimensions, proportions, and above all WEIGHT of original Enfields. . However, it has some minor flaws, such as single line engraving aorund the lockplate and hammer, the "Parker-Hale stampings on the lockplate and butt cartouche.
          And while they had promsied to redo the Italian Parker-Hale (basically a EuroArms Enfield) for "greater authenticity," it has not happened.

IMHO, the great advantage to the British Parker-Hale is that it is "closer" to an Enfield than an Armi Sport or Euroarms right down to the .577 progressive depth rifling. However, it still requires work such as removing the stock cartouche, and redoing the incorrect lockplate markings, replacing the barrel bands, lock screw escutcheons and lower sling swivel (if not redoing an LA CO.), etc.

However, IMHO, a British PH makes an excellent choice for a London Armoury Enfield retroversion (although it VERY hard to find a true LA Co. "heavy" style hammer).

At any rate, IMHO, one needs to decide whether the current generation or retroversions (so-called "de-farbs") such as those offered by Todd Watts or James River Armory for about or a little less than the cost of a British PH that still needs its own addition costs in added
          retroversion ("de-farb" work) is the "Better buy" if not "better" value.

I have seen British PH's rifle-muskets sell, hereabouts, for as low as $700 and $800 depending upon condition.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

I bought my PH when Jana Corporation first imported them maybe thirty some years ago. I too was worried about the two piece stock, but it has held up with no problems, and is nicely matched in color and wood grain.
            The ramrod was a problem. It was not too well constructed, and while trying to remove a stuck cleaning patch the ramrod head came off the shaft, unscrewed as it were.
            There are PH muskets on the N-SSA BB with some frequency, usually in the price range Curt alluded to. There are currently two musketoons listed at over $1000.00 EACH! Hope springs eternal! I sold one here some time back for $600.00 or so, and it took awhile to move.
            Use the search function on this BB for hours of reading to educate you on your quest.
            Steve Sullivan

Comment

I got mine (Brit P-H) for $450 a few campaigns ago, but those kinds of bargains are getting hard to find.

Comment

Working...
              X