Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanics of an event

To the moderator and all:

I have a suggested forum discussion that others might be interested in and it is a "Mechanics of Reenacting/Hosting any Event Authentically".

I'd be rich if I had a nickle if every time I heard someone ask "How do I get this certain permit for an event we're hosting?" or "How do we create flash charges and ground explosives for added realism?"... "How do we buy or we create period-correct trenches/cheveaux-des-frise/gabions/battle wreckage, etc. for added effect?"

Basically, a Mechanics of Event Site-Prep 101 course I feel would be helpful to anyone for common knowledge/expert advice by people that have hosted events before. Complete knowledge from A-Z could be shared to save fellow hobbyists time, money and frustration. (It might also keep someone from being unsafe out of lack-of-proper-knowledge.)

Subject to your questions and healthful debate...:o

Thanks- Johnny
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: Mechanics of an event

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
    To the moderator and all:

I have a suggested forum discussion that others might be interested in and it is a "Mechanics of Reenacting/Hosting any Event Authentically".

I'd be rich if I had a nickle if every time I heard someone ask "How do I get this certain permit for an event we're hosting?" or "How do we create flash charges and ground explosives for added realism?"... "How do we buy or we create period-correct trenches/cheveaux-des-frise/gabions/battle wreckage, etc. for added effect?"

Basically, a Mechanics of Event Site-Prep 101 course I feel would be helpful to anyone for common knowledge/expert advice by people that have hosted events before. Complete knowledge from A-Z could be shared to save fellow hobbyists time, money and frustration. (It might also keep someone from being unsafe out of lack-of-proper-knowledge.)

Subject to your questions and healthful debate...:o

Thanks- Johnny
    Johnny - this has been suggested many times and frankly, could be one of the most useful forums ever. Have never heard a good explanation of why it has not happened yet.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Dave-

If that is so, then we need to take action... Johnny ;)
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I concur, a forum for this discussion would be very benifical. Would need sub catagories though to be most productive; i.e. legal, ammenities, sutlers, parking, medical emergencies, cancelation issues, registeration, pre-event site work, civilian volunteer staff, media.

Good idea.
        Dennis Neal
        "He who feels no pride in his ancestors is unworthy to be remembered by his descendants"
        David F. Boyd, Major 9th Louisiana
        Visit the site of the 16th Louisiana at
        [url]http://www.16thlainf.com/[/url]
        J. M. Wesson Lodge 317

Comment

Not sure I've seen that suggestion before but it's a good one. I'll create a folder.

Last edited by paulcalloway; 09-03-2007, 08:10 AM. Reason: Folder #110 created
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

What board is best for event Organizers to bang their head against...LOL
            Patrick Landrum
            Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat,

That would definitely be a deeply grained, burled, and knotty wood subject to splintering, crowning, and warping.

I suppose a folder would be a good substitute for those who haven't viewed the Power Point presentation on this very subject. It was a keeper.
              [B]Charles Heath[/B]
              [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

To all:

Boreguard has the right idea for sub folders too. We need specifics as sub-categories to be even more effective in this realm.Boreguard's idea above--- i.e. legal, ammenities, sutlers, parking, medical emergencies, cancelation issues, registeration, pre-event site work, civilian volunteer staff, media

As well as a disclaimer on the header saying:

"Try what you will, but you are of your own decisions. This is what has been practiced before by others who have and want to share experience. The AC takes NO responsibility for failure to follow safety when using these suggestions or when you the individual acts stupidly of your own initiative."

I hate legalese.

I care deeply about the hobby and want to see others do also. We don't need negative press.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
                Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 09-03-2007, 10:15 AM.
                Johnny Lloyd
                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny,

That is what threads are for, and I suspect Paul would have a few words to say about the administration of such a number of sub-sub fora, etc. Considering the number of people who organize high quality events stands at about two dozen, some of this may be moot, but at least it has the potential to be educational.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

On the subject of sub-categories - hold up.

There's a history lesson in itself here - when we first set up the vbulletin software for the AC, Scott McKay created 100s of folders. He was all about the logistics and soon we had a mammoth directory structure that was too confusing for any to follow. In fact, it was too confusing for the software and our computers to follow and the simple act of listing and editing the folders would stall... it was a mess to administrate.

I see the same thing with other new discussion forums that create so many folders that no one knows what to do with them and they remain empty and just serve to confuse board members and water down the discussion.

We had to go back and merge much of Scott McKay's original folder structure... it took days. The AC now has 110 folders and sub-folders and the school of thought that has developed is - we'll create sub-folders when the volume of discussion warrants the creation of same. That's still the best course of action.

Use the new folder as it is and if the volume of discussion grows, we'll consider creating additional sub-folders.
                    Paul Calloway
                    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                    Proud Member of the GHTI
                    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Sir-
                      Basically, as "mission and subject necessity dictates", you'll create folders accordingly to avoid confusion and unnecessary sub-folders.

I was just throwing-out suggestions where it should go eventually if successful. I am a neophyte to this particular section, but learning.

Charles has a good point, though... few people want to put on actual authentic events, but maybe a forum folder like this would encourage more to do so if they -think- it can be done??

Ganz genau, mein herr.... Understood and acknowledged.

Thanks- Johnny
                      Johnny Lloyd
                      John "Johnny" Lloyd
                      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                        ... few people want to put on actual authentic events, but maybe a forum folder like this would encourage more to do so if they -think- it can be done??
                        Yep, one thing is for certain -- the last thing the campaigner, progressive, and hardcore segments of the hobby need is more events, but more people to work on high quality events is something definitely welcomed.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Get the land first.

Make sure there's sufficient water supply.

Most organizers can't get either of the two ideas listed above right.

Comment

And both of those are harder questions than they seem......

How much land is enough for how many folks? How does the variety of terrain and forrestation come into play to make a small amount of land seem large?

How much water per person, at what anticipated outdoor temperature ranges? Do your folks know how to not waste water, or will they spill 5 gallons filling a 1 quart canteen?

Getting some of this down into "rules of thumb" will be awfully helpful.
                            Terre Hood Biederman
                            Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                            Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Terre,

Warlick's Law has served me well: "Water cheap. EMS expensive."
                              [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Working...
                              X