Event Registration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Registration

I would love to hear ideas on registration of events.

Some events take pre-registrations; some do this and take money, then charge higher fees after certain dates (in an effort to get folks to register early); others only take registration info/money the weekend of events. I am sure there are other variations on this theme.

The good thing about seeking early registration of attendees is to get an idea of who is coming to make it easier to plan for amenities (hay, water, parking, etc.). However, a lot of folks either do not or cannot register early. Also, dealing with money before an event takes place can be very tricky - if someone does not show up t=who registers early, then do you refund this? Do you put a disclaimer on your early registration packet to cover this?

Another issue is registering for sutlers as well as attendees. In almost every case, you want sutlers to register early so you can reserve places for them in sutler row. Sutlers may also require special hookups which need to be addressed. Also, most event organizers will require a sutler fee to be paid upon registration.

Another area of getting folks to register is whether to let them do this thru the internet by going to a web page and submitting their info thru a form, send a simple email with the information or submit a paper form/card.

Keep in mind, that what works for one event may not work for another. Every event host/organizer should decide what will work best for them, given their situtation and manpower requirements.
    Barry Bowden

Re: Event Registration

I would love to hear ideas on registration of events.
    Attend some events and you'll how it's done.

Some events take pre-registrations; some do this and take money,
    I've never heard of any "campaigner" event (this is a "campaigner" forum) that takes pre-registrations without payment.

others only take registration info/money the weekend of events.
    I've never heard of any event, anywhere, that does this.

I am sure there are other variations on this theme.
    You've already written about more varations than I've heard of in 15 years of reenacting and helping to sponsor events. I've only ever seen two models: 1) Pay when you register, and 2) All registrations are free. I'm not sure if I've ever attended the latter type.

The good thing about seeking early registration of attendees is to get an idea of who is coming to make it easier to plan for amenities (hay, water, parking, etc.).
    This is utterly essential for the complex logistical planning that accompanies almost any "campaigner" event, be it a marching event or a static, garrison-type event. In fact, I don't believe I've ever heard of a "campaigner" event that allowed "walk-on" registrations.

However, a lot of folks either do not or cannot register early.
    I agree. Those folks are "consumers" who have no idea of the effort that goes in to organizing and running a complex event, and don't have the courtesy to recognize that, if they wish to attend, they need to register early. Those folks who claim they cannot regiister early do not seem to have, that I've ever observed, any simiilar problem with buying tickets for a family vacation and keeping their commitment to their family to hold to attending it, but there's some who are terminally unable to either register early or to show up after they register.

Also, dealing with money before an event takes place can be very tricky
    No more tricky than balancing your own checkbook.

if someone does not show up t=who registers early, then do you refund this? Do you put a disclaimer on your early registration packet to cover this?
    For the first question, it depends on when they drop out. If they register early and drop out early, yes, refunds are usually given because often little of the registration revenue has been spent. However, the closer it is to the event that one drops out, the less likely it is that a refund is forthcoming, as the organizers spend the registration fees to prepare for the event.

Regarding the second question, I don't know of many events, but I've seen some that state a refund policy on their registration forms. Events I've helped organize do not state any refund polciy because we're trying to avoid encouraging people to drop out.

Another issue is registering for sutlers as well as attendees. In almost every case, you want sutlers to register early so you can reserve places for them in sutler row. Sutlers may also require special hookups which need to be addressed. Also, most event organizers will require a sutler fee to be paid upon registration.
    I'm going to guess that you're talking about organizing a "mainstream" event here. "Campaigner" events (this is a "campaigner" forum) do not have vendor-rows. Some "campaigner" events have a vendor or three attend on the first (check-in) day and set up in the parking lot or registration area to peddle their wares. I've never heard of these one-day-vendors being charged any fee at "campaigner" events.

Another area of getting folks to register is whether to let them do this thru the internet by going to a web page and submitting their info thru a form, send a simple email with the information or submit a paper form/card.
    Collecting money over the Internet is a lot more complicated--PayPal is the only real way to do it, and not eveyone has a PayPal account.

Comment

Kevin,

I admit, most of the events I have helped to put during my reenacting career have been "main stream" events. The group I ran with were mostly mainstreamers and this is who we catered to. However, I have attended a few authentic events (but not hard core authentic events).

I do realize there is a big difference between organizing a main stream event verses an authentic event, however what I have learned with one can be used to help organize the other. It really comes down to deciding what you want for your event, then proceeding from there.

I suppose, since I have ran the gambit of event types, I have seen "almost" every type of event you can run. They all have their pluses and minus' but again, it depends on your preference and what you are looking to do with your event.
      Barry Bowden

Comment

Barry,
        I think Kevin is trying to give you some good hints . You really should try a event Hard core authentic event before you try hosting one for sure . I can tell from your questions you have not done any. I think if you do one you will see the inner working for your self with out having to ask so many questions . Experience is the best teacher I believe in this case of events .
        Jerry Ross
        Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
        Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Working...
        X