Advertising Your Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertising Your Event

BGR and IPW were opened to anyone that wanted to attend if they had the attitude to to accept an experience removed from most, if not all things normally associated with an event. Guidelines were presented, but attitude was the key because gear can be
    loaned. Attitudes can't be! There were mainstreamers in attendence. There were people from all parts of the US and from Europe. There were no spectators. There were no sutlers. There was only hard marching and dealing with what ever the terrain and weather threw at us. It was not an event with list of who was going to attend. It was an event that people knew, or should have known, was to get as close as possible to the suck of a soldiers life as possible without live ammunition and with the knowledge that sooner or later one could return to civilization. Will there be another version? I don't know. Honestly. It is a difficult task planning the logistics and taking responsibility for the well being of others. But if there is, there will be no spectators. There will be marching. There will be hardships. To do less lessens what the real men put up with daily and for years. If this answers someones questions. Good. If it doesn't. Well, so it goes. March on. It don't mean a thing.
    Tom Yearby
    Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Re: Advertising Your Event

duplicate post.
    Last edited by Old Reb; 07-01-2001, 11:02 PM. Reason: duplicate post
    Tom Yearby
    Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

I have no idea how my post ended up on top, but I don't understand many things.
      Tom Yearby
      Texas Ground Hornets

Comment

Advertising Your Event

How do you advertise your event? Do you want a good spectator turnout? Is this an event just for reenactors?

We all know to advertise your event you must get it listed in one of the many printed Civil War publications. Also, the more you spread the word thru contacts, friends and other organizations, the better chance you will have of getting folks to come out. What has worked for you? What did not work?

Also, how did you get spectators to come out? Did you want spectators? Did you advertise in the newspaper, get spots on TV, or other means used? Perhaps put a video ad on uTube.com?
        Barry Bowden

Comment

For spectator reenactments only, advertising in the local newspaper as well as radio ads work pretty well.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
          Cincinnati

Comment

Originally posted by bqbowden View Post
            How do you advertise your event? Do you want a good spectator turnout? Is this an event just for reenactors?

We all know to advertise your event you must get it listed in one of the many printed Civil War publications. Also, the more you spread the word thru contacts, friends and other organizations, the better chance you will have of getting folks to come out. What has worked for you? What did not work?

Also, how did you get spectators to come out? Did you want spectators? Did you advertise in the newspaper, get spots on TV, or other means used? Perhaps put a video ad on uTube.com?
            The above post sounds a lot like advertising a "mainstream" event (this is a "campaigner" forum). Most "campaigner" events are lower-key in their advertising, often with marketing done directly via phone calls and e-mails, and by posting on one or two forums frequented by "campaigners". That's pretty much it.

As for spectator advertising, most "campaigner" events aren't geared much around spectators. Those that are, such as a NPS living history, often have the public advertising campaign handled directly by the site owner (NPS, etc.).

Comment

The above post sounds a lot like advertising a "mainstream" event (this is a "campaigner" forum).
              Kevin,

I understand what you are saying. But, what would you do to invite "mainstreamers" who would be interested in attending an authentic event for the first time? How would you reach out to those folks?
              Barry Bowden

Comment

Kevin,

I understand what you are saying. But, what would you do to invite "mainstreamers" who would be interested in attending an authentic event for the first time? How would you reach out to those folks?
                Those who are interested in attending an authentic event for the first time, most often know folks who go to such events, and from them, via word of mouth, as well as visiting forums such as this one, those interested in will gain the information they need to register.

We had several such fellas fall into the ranks at the WIG's recent OutpostIII/TAGII event in Springhill, Tn.

As for actually 'inviting' folks from the mainstream community? We do it all the time. All we ask is that the individuals make a good faith effort at meeting the impression guidelines, and most importantly that they come with a good attitude, and are willing to fully participate as a soldier for the full duration of the event.
                Brian Hicks
                Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Sir-

Resoundingly "Not necessary and No" to the above questions for me.

I can speak for no others but myself.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
                  Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 03-17-2008, 08:53 PM.
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                  SCAR
                  Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                  Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                  Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                  Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

I'd post it on the AC Forum. Sometimes I put a link to a "campaigner" event in my signature line on a "mainstream" forum, but that's about it. You cannot drag a "mainstreamer" to a "campaigner" event if he or she does not want to attend it in the first place. Most "mainstreamers" are perfectly happy with the way they reenact and see no reason to change it, and it's important for an event sponsor to understand and accept that. Identify the type of event you wish to organize, then publicize it to the audience you are targeting, and forget about extensive "cross-overs". Folks only cross over when they want to.

Comment

as kevin says,if it is an Authentic event,you certainly can't get a mainstreamer to an Authentic Event.I absolutly agree with everything you say Kevin.Great Post!
                      Charlie Newman
                      Co.E 37th Virginia
                      Wampus Cats Mess
                      Southern Guard Drum Corp
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less."-Robert E. Lee

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."-Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                      X