Authentic Units In Colorado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Units In Colorado?

After a lengthy search online I have come up with very little. So I thought id throw a line out here to see what kind of info I could get from the you fine folks.
    I have been out of the hobby for some years now due to traveling about the country. I am wanting to re-introduce myself back into the hobby now that I am settled. I was curious if anyone knew of any active units in colorado that lend themselves to the confederate impression?

Ben Jenkins
    Ben Jenkins

Re: Authentic Units In Colorado?

Ben,

With no one responding so far, I figured I would at least share what I know.

I am with the 11th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry out of Central Wyoming. We have been trying to hook up with and find any active unit in the entire rocky mountain region. It has been extremely difficult to find a quality authentic unit to share events with. In fact, any unit that we would consider "active" is rare. Most of the reenactors/living historians we run into are individuals who may do a decent display on a table or ground cloth, but our experience is that very few know anything about drill, maneuvers, or general campaign life. Although I do not consider an authentic unit, we get excited when we find someone who knows what we mean by Hardee's, Cooke's, Poinset's, etc. There is a group in Castle Rock, Co, but I do not know their standards. Please let me know if you find anything as we frequently drive 10-12 hours each event just to get with like minded individuals. Then again, if you wish to join the Cavalry, we would love to have you!
    Steven Dacus
    Casper, Wyoming
    11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Comment

Thanks Steven so much for the input... Yeah its seems like its kind of a sad scene here, I think it may be a game of digging, panning for gold that isn't there. I will keep you updated as to what I come across, although as it appears that won't be much.

Ben Jenkins
      Ben Jenkins

Comment

Hi Ben,
        Hello from Broomfield! I just moved to CO from MD last year, and although I absolutely love CO and wouldn't want to live anywhere else, the CW scene here is a little depressing. I went to an event in New Mexico and had a great time, but the authenticity of some of the groups was shocking. I'm talking shocking. Add to that the fact that events are few and far between. I'm kind of the mind set that I'll have to budget for a trip back east once or twice a year to get a real Civil War "fix". It's just not happening out here, sadly.
        There is an upcoming LH event at Ft. Laramie, Wyoming. August 8 to 10th. About 3 hours north of us. I'm going with the 1st. CO Volunteers (Federal), which is the unit I've joined and is the best bunch of guys I've seen here (although there are a few units out here which I haven't seen yet). It should be great fun. Ft. Laramie is rich in history and is an amazing spot for a LH. The western forts out here are so cool! It's one of the few bright spots to being a CW reenactor here.
        Anyway, enjoy the amazing weather, the outdoor activities, the scenery, the people, but just don't expect an East Coast type of authentic CW scene here. It doesn't exist.

Kurt Ulsaker
        Washington Artillery
        1st. CO Volunteers
        Kurt Ulsaker
        Washington Artillery
        1st. CO Volunteers

Comment

Hey Kurt, I've been in Co for around 2 1/2 years and have spent most of that time winding around mountain trails disappearing for weeks at a time : ) I miss like crazy going to events, drill, the whole aspect of it. I was curious if there were any need for civilian reenactors at some of these events as well? I was thinking that may be a good starting point for me seeing as how I am just now diving back into the hobby. It would be nice to put together a nice authentic civilian kit until I can figure out what route to take from there...

Thanks again man, and maybe we can meet up for coffee one afternoon! Im right outside broomfield up in Erie.

Ben Jenkins
          Ben Jenkins

Comment

Cool, Ben. We should start up the first hard core CS unit in CO! I'm 100% serious.

Don't sleep on Federal impressions, it's a lot of fun. I never thought it would be, but I realized that if you're really into the CW (as we all are here), you eventually come to appreciate both impressions.
            I'll ring ya up, Pard, and we'll talk shop.
            Kurt
            Kurt Ulsaker
            Washington Artillery
            1st. CO Volunteers

Comment

Oh I am by no means opposed to it...... but if we can find a way around it then by all means id love to stick to what I really know. I look forward to hearing from you.

Ben Jenkins
              Ben Jenkins

Comment

Hey, fellow yearners for authentic CW reenacting out in the rocky mountain west!

I'm in Salt Lake City and I gave up on being a part of a unit a long time ago. There is a "group" out here in Utah but it's just a bunch of old guys who pine away for the "good ol' days" when they started reenacting in the 1970's. Plus, we have Camp Floyd here, which was a Federal Army camp when they came out to Utah in the 1850's and Ft. Douglas which was established by the Army in 1862 to keep an eye on the Mormons and fight against Indians. So those two places provide instances to do some living history but it's really sad. After a few years of doing that and just traveling out east for quality EBUFU events with quality units, I just got sick of the living history junk. So now, all I do is head east and fall in with guys when there's an event I want to go to badly enough to not mind the gas cost. I've been falling in with the Michigan boys in the Sally Port Mess and ONV and it's been great fun.
                Kenny Pavia
                24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

I am curious how many authentically minded individuals there are in the Rocky Mt. West....Each year I just come across at least one or two individuals who "Gave Up" because there was nothing in the area. With that in mind, there might be enough for a start to something new! Just a thought.
                  Steven Dacus
                  Casper, Wyoming
                  11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Comment

I've already come across and spoke to several folks in the area... We have discussed several options and I think with a bit more digging, and some work, there is a good possibility of getting something worth while together. Im curious to see how many other folks we can pull out of the woodworks.

Ben Jenkins
                    Boulder, Colorado
                    Ben Jenkins

Comment

I am one of those that gave up as well, looking forward to where this discussion is headed.
                      Don Woods
                      Member ABT

Comment

I am moving to the Denver area in a few months and am looking for a campaigning unit. I have been out of the hobby for a few years, doing WWII. I was an NCO with the old 1st Texas Inf. Several Companies left and started the 15th Texas Inf., part of the TMVI. During that time I was a Company XO and filled in as a Battalion Adjutant a few times.
                        I have searched and found little as well. I would be interested in meeting up To talk about joining or starting a Unit.
                        Chris Gant

Comment

I know the feeling, I live in Cheyenne WY. and outside of going to schools and a time line event at the Air Force Base to talk about 19th century and CW-early IW medicine (I am a campainer surgeon) I have to travel when I can afford it back east for a good event for CW. so I am also looking for like minded people/groups to do things with in the area.and its good to see I am not the only one here in WY. northern CO. Utah .I started in 1973 and also do other time periods early Indain war 1858-77 ww1-ww2. So if anyone in the area would like to do a be it a 1 campainer event be it a 1 day march or week long route march ,count me in. Richard Johnson. surgeon 19th tenn.inf.Regt. and 2nd Min.inf.Regt.

Comment

Working...
                          X