W.I.G. Change of Command Effective 1 January, 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W.I.G. Change of Command Effective 1 January, 2015

Effective 1 January, 2015, a change of command will be effected for the leadership of the Western Independent Grays.

Brian Hicks will be stepping down from this position.

Under his care, the W.I.G. (cooperating with Thomas ‘Skip’ Owens) fielded men in Battalions at the 150th Gettysburg, and 150th Chickamauga. It also fielded a Battalion at the Bermuda One Hundred event, and the Battle of Pickett’s Mill. All four of these events where tremendous successes, which all participants can be proud of having been a part of.

Assuming command will be Herb Coats.

The future of the W.I.G. looks bright as we close out the cycle of the 150th anniversary celebrations. As the last of the Anniversary battles draw to a close, campaigner events will once again populate the calendar. Under the guidance of Herb Coats several events are already planned and coordinated for the next two years.

From the incoming commander:

I want to first thank Brian Hicks for leading and guiding the Western Independent Grays for the past two years as its commander. The WIG has been able to participate in some memorable events that tied into the anniversary cycle. With Brian stepping down to move onto other time periods, and to "encourage" me in the ranks, I am ready to guide the group to some familiar and some new locations. Most of you know me, so I don't want bore you with a grand biography. I will say this though, I'm proud to have been a member of the WIG since Day 1. Yes indeed, I was at the Shiloh Living History where "us campaigners" got the idea to band together.

Going into the future, it is my goal to take the WIG back to more campaigner or EBUFU style events, as well as have a presence at some of the larger scale events. Basically, I want to keep a healthy mix of events for the WIG. Starting in 2015, January has an EBUFU Winter Quarters event right out of the gate in January being headed up by Joe Knight and Dustin Herr near Meridian, Mississippi. This is a reenactor only event focusing on the last winter of the war. There will be a live fire aspect to the event, as well as the chance to add on to the standard "winter tent". The dates are January 30th - February 1st.

More information can be found online here:

and on Facebook:

On March 27th - 29th, the WIG next tavels to central Virginia for the 150th Sailor's Creek event. This will be on the actual battlefield, and we will be in a brigade of many of the same, like-minded comrades that we have been falling in with since 2011. The impression is the 18th Georgia Battalion, also known as the Savannah Volunteer Guard. There is a Facebook page set up currently with the kit guidelines, (Similar to the Chickamauga kit. Don't toss that blue/gray kersey jacket yet!) unit history, registration form, etc. This will be the WIG's first event of the year. The WIG Old Guard, Armory Guards, Breckenridge Grays, Palmetto Guards, and others are committed to recreating the SVG at Sailors Creek.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/645178122226589/

The fall of 2015 has the WIG looking at a mobile CS living history at Chickamauga National Park. The date looks to be the weekend of September 18th - 20th. More information will be coming soon, but the impression is simple, but a little different. Does your group have a "Pet Regiment" such as the 2nd Georgia Inf, 1st Florida Inf, or the 9th Tennessee Inf? If you and your comrades can bring a company, the intent is to march to the location, interpret the movements of the command, and get a little "education" on the unit's actions in the battle. So far there is interest in units that saw action in the Dyer Field, Viniard Farm, and McDonald House. Again, more information will be coming soon.
    Looking ahead a bit into 2016, We are working on a mobile US event in central Mississippi that has Sherman's Meridian Campaign as its guiding "idea". The time frame is late February/early March. This is still in its infancy, so stay tuned!

In the Fall of 2016, we have an invitation to form a CS battalion at Perryville State Park Battlefield site. I cannot count how many people have spoken to me about "Perryville was great when the WIG went in 2001 and 2002." So, I've taken that to heart, and we'll be there. According to the scenarios we are looking at portrayals dealing with Maney and Donelson's attack, and Adams Brigade's actions.

So, there is solid Two Year Plan for the WIG, now we just need to tell our comrades who may have been sitting out of the mix, or have not been interested in the larger 150th events, that the WIG is back guiding its own destiny at events that YOU have told me that you want to attend.
    With all of this exciting news, look for a new WIG website that will have event links , some informational sections, and points of contact. The WIG Facebook Page will get some more "attention", and the Authentic Campaigner will continue to be another source that we use to get out events out to the community.

Thanks,
    Herb Coats
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Re: W.I.G. Change of Command Effective 1 January, 2015

The All New, All Revamped WIG website should be coming out soon, as in by New Years. I'll have the "Main Events" set up with links (if applicable) as well as links to other fine EBUFU efforts such as the Iowa Campaigner march at Bentonville, the SCAR's Red River battalion, and The Widow Makers Mess Fort McAllister CS Garrison next year. Spread the love!
    Last edited by Coatsy; 12-23-2014, 06:26 AM.
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Congratulations Herb! You are a capable leader and I'm glad to see the future of the WIG is in good hands. Have fun with the new position!

All the Best,
      Matt Woodburn

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
      The All New, All Revamped WIG website should be coming out soon, as in by New Years. I'll have the "Main Events" set up with links (if applicable) as well as links to other fine EBUFU efforts such as the Iowa Campaigner march at Bentonville, the SCAR's Red River battalion, and The Widow Makers Mess Fort McAllister CS Garrison next year. Spread the love!
      Matt Woodburn
      Retired Big Bug
      WIG/GHTI
      Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
      "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Great news, always enjoyed falling in with you guys.
        Mike McGee
        Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
        Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
        Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
        Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
        KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
        Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

I just want to thank everyone who has served as commander of the WIG. I am proud to say that I have been able to work with each of you and count you among my best friends. The Western Independent Grays are truly a cornerstone of our end of the hobby. Going forward, the job couldn't be going to a better person. Congratulations Herb! You are truly a leader and a friend.
          ERIC TIPTON
          Former AC Owner

Comment

Herb, on behalf of the Governor Guards and SCAR I would like to congratulate you on your election to command the WIG. We have all enjoyed many fine events with the past command and look forward to many more under yours. We all look forward to working with you at future events.
            Tyler Underwood
            Pawleys Island #409 AFM
            Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I generally try to avoid jumping aboard the "me, too" discussions, but I think this one deserves an exception. Brian, thanks for all your work and able leadership. Herb, thanks for stepping up. Excelsior!
              Matt Lakin
              Rat Tail Mess/SCAR

"HISTORY, n. An account mostly false, of events mostly unimportant, which are brought about by rulers mostly knaves, and soldiers mostly fools." Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Congrats, Herb!
                Chadd M. Wilson
                WIG
                Armory Guards
                Black Hat Boys

Comment

Congratulations Herb,

If I wasn't such an old fart I would love falling in with the W.I.G. My ggg, John Sinclair, was 58 when paroled but I am about to turn 65.
                  Claude Sinclair
                  Palmetto Battalion

Comment

The WIG has always benefited from good, dedicated leadership. I am sure Herb will carry on that tradition. Thanks to both Herb and Brian for their service.
                    Last edited by Michael Comer; 12-29-2014, 06:58 PM.
                    Michael Comer
                    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Claude, "old' is a state of mind. At 35, I'm an old man compared to the men of 1861-1865.

Michael and all, thanks for the kind words. I know it is only January 1st, but I'm getting the event list put together, and hopefully we can all begin to get back into the swing of things here soon.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Congrats, Herb! Great job, Brian!

New energy, new year, new blood!

Let us know how we all in the community can help you be successful in 2015! We are here for you.
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                        SCAR
                        Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                        Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                        Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                        Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

The WIG's primary events of 2015 will be "Winter Quarters, 1865", January 30-February 1st, "Sailor's Creek, 18th Georgia Battalion (Savannah Volunteer Guard)", March 27-29th, and "Garrisoning New Madrid", October 2-4th.

If you are interested in falling in with us at these events, please do so! We do have guidelines and standards to meet, but they are no impossible. Winter Quarters, 1865 registration is open, and the 18th Ga. Battalion effort is open, but spaces are limited.

Questions, please contact me via PM or my email. hcoats007 at gmail.com

Thanks
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

Working...
                          X