Authentic Campaigner Artillery Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authentic Campaigner Artillery Battery

Is anyone interested in helping to organize and command a new Campaigner Artillery Battery? All field pieces, limbers, caissons, horses and other equipment has been taken care of.

Is there enough demand and interest to support new battery?
    Adam Dintenfass

Re: Authentic Campaigner Artillery Battery

How many guns, limbers, caissons, trained pulling horses, and set of good artillery harness do you have available? Grimsleys or Reb harness? You have experienced drivers? We're generally more than set with guns and limbers, but certainly additional caissons and teams are something we are continually trying to incorporate into 1st Section events. Would be interested in working together, and it would certainly be beneficial to work some of our horses together.
    -Craig Schneider
    Last edited by CSchneider; 06-04-2019, 12:21 PM.
    Craig Schneider

Comment

We have a Facebook page, Authentic Civil War Artillery where a lot of us hang out and share info. We put together a 3 gun battery for Fort Blakely, 15th Mass and I was battery commander. Any opportunikty to promote authentic artillery is great, about 98% of artillery in the hobby unfortunately is not authentic at all in neither drill nor appearance.
      I've got a 3 inch Ord Rifle, but my problem is I'm out in Oklahoma and hauling a gun east is a major endeavor.
      Frank Siltman
      24th Mo Vol Inf
      Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
      Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
      Company of Military Historians
      Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Pennvolunteer View Post
        We have a Facebook page, Authentic Civil War Artillery where a lot of us hang out and share info. We put together a 3 gun battery for Fort Blakely, 15th Mass and I was battery commander. Any opportunikty to promote authentic artillery is great, about 98% of artillery in the hobby unfortunately is not authentic at all in neither drill nor appearance.
        I've got a 3 inch Ord Rifle, but my problem is I'm out in Oklahoma and hauling a gun east is a major endeavor.
        I'm new to Oklahoma, did federal infantry for 25+ years on the East Coast. Sort of suspended my activities after the 150th Appomattox. Somewhat interested in being reborn as an artilleryman -- as my father was in the U.S. Army. We were stationed multiple times at Fort Sill.
        Mark Green
        15 NJVI, Co. E

Comment

Gents,
          I'd be interested in sharpening my 19th century artillery skills. I was in the Marine Corps 2003-2011, MOS 0802 field artillery, king of battle. Had the chance while stationed at Sill for 6 months to conduct live fire shoots with some Civil War artillery pieces (10/12lb Napoleon, 3 in ord, 10/20lb parrot, etc). Little different from what I used in 2 combat tours in Iraq, but def got me interested. I was on the crew at Shiloh as well for a few years while living in TN.

My family and I just moved to Frisco TX not too far away. What's the best way to keep this conversation developing?

V/R
          John "Red" Turner
          John "Red' Turner

Comment

If the organization of this Artillery Battery is still happening, I would be more than happy to be involved in this endeavor. I am located in the upper Midwest too, if that is where the battery will be operating out of.
            Dan Kohli

4th U.S. Artillery, Battery A WI.

Comment

Originally posted by New Jerseyman View Post
              I'm new to Oklahoma, did federal infantry for 25+ years on the East Coast. Sort of suspended my activities after the 150th Appomattox. Somewhat interested in being reborn as an artilleryman -- as my father was in the U.S. Army. We were stationed multiple times at Fort Sill.
              Hey, I missed this!!! I'm sorry, I'm at Fort Sill, looking for folks out here as well.
              Frank Siltman
              24th Mo Vol Inf
              Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
              Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
              Company of Military Historians
              Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
              X