Chasseurs de Chalmette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chasseurs de Chalmette

The Chasseurs de Chalmette is an organization whose sole purpose is to portray the Confederate volunteer from State of Louisiana. With no specific regiment or organization to focus upon, the principal on which the Chasseurs de Chalmette is founded upon is a love for the a-typical impression, as well as events. Whether it's the 3rd Louisiana at the Battle of Wilson's Creek, or the 4th Louisiana at the Battle of Shiloh wearing dark blue uniforms, or even a Louisiana regiment within the ANV, the Chasseurs de Chalmette will strive to always portray an authentic Louisiana impression.

If you are not from Louisiana, don't let that discourage your possible envolvement within the CdC. I am from Illinois, and others are from places such as Arizona and North Carolina.

The Chasseurs de Chalmette are already working on impressions and events for next year, so contact me if you would be interested: nbclark78@gmail.com

Thank you
    Nic Clark
    2017 - 24 years in the hobby
    Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Re: Chasseurs de Chalmette

Nic,

So, where are you personally located now? Is your group attending events here in Louisiana?

Capt Coxetter / Jim McArthur

Comment

Right now, I guess I'm physically in the St. Louis Metro-East area. The CdC might make a showing at Camp Moore, but that's all that I can foresee the CdC going to in Louisiana this year. Because the CdC is so specialized in our impressions, we are looking more to next year than this year, as the organization is trying to rebuild after taking some time off.
      Nic Clark

Comment

This is another call for anyone who would be interested in joining the Chasseuers de Chalmette. The CdC is a event specific organiztion that builds our impressions for every event that we go to based upon a particular Louisiana regiment or battalion that we choose to portray for that particular weekend. We might choose to portray the 12th Louisiana at Columbus, Kentucky in November of 1861, or the 4th Louisiana at the Battle of New Hope Church, etc. In the end, what the CdC does is no different that what we do already; build an impression for the event in question. Rather than buidling an impression for a Tennessee regiment during the Battle of Mill Springs, or a Mississippi regiment for the Battle of First Manassas, etc., the CdC will always portray Louisiana soldiers, but just like how we in the authentic community build our impressions around the events that we attend, so will the CdC, but our impressions will always be Louisiana impressions.

If you would like to fall in with the Chasseurs de Chalmette, please contact me for more details on how to join.

Thank you,
        Nic Clark

Comment

Nic,
          Combien de francais est-ce-qe nous vaux parlons? Tout le temps? Des temps en temps? Jamais? Aussi, il-y-a des plans pour un impression a Mill Springs? J'ai tres interest dans votre groupe parce que mon arriere-grand pere il etait un membre de le troiseme Mississippi et etait un Acadian de Louisiana. Merci.
          Peter Julius
          North State Rifles

"North Carolina - a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit." Unknown author

Comment

Peter,

Well, you know what they say about speaking another language - if you don't use it, you loose it. I lived in France and Belgium for a while, but it's rare that I get speak French on a regular basis.

My plans for Mill Springs is to fall in with my fellow St. Louis pard Frank Authmuth's company.

I'm glad that you are interested in the Chasseurs de Chalmette. The CdC is gaining momentem and you are more than welcome to cast your lott with us. We've got some great ideas and works in progress for next year, so contact me privately and I'll get you caught up to speed with the CdC.

Merci, mon ami.

a bientot,

Nic
            Nic Clark

Comment

Correction on the comment made about Mill Springs - I was thinking about Outpost, rather than Mill Springs. I have no plans for Mill Springs.
              Nic Clark

Comment

Have you spent much time in Louisiana?
                Regards,
                [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]J.L. Hurst[/I][/FONT]

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Independant Rifles[/FONT][/B]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride
                With Hunger and Death always close by their side.
                Came Terror, his herald - but the wailing comes first . . .
                We know he is coming, That demon called Hurst[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

Sure have. I lived in Shreveport for three years and worked as an Interpreter Ranger at the Mansfield battlefield. I also worked for the NCPTT in Natchitoches, and have my degree in History from Centenary College.
                  Nic Clark

Comment

Hey nick it sound like a interesting idea. I was thinking of doing just one unit for the 150th coming up. I want a western reb unit but your guys might be the ticket. I am learning French, slowly for my F&I for 2009 is the 250th of the Battle of Quebec and French is the natural heritage here in the Midwest so I want to take that theme and do that for many of my other periods. Also could you give a little info on uniforms and such you are looking for others to have?
                    Thomas J. Alleman
                    "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Tom,

Are you speaking about the 150th Gettysburg? If so, then I've already voiced my oppinion publicly on this site that I feel the "Western" Confederate impression - at least for the 2nd day - should be the 2nd Louisiana. 64% of the 2nd Louisiana were from States other than Louisiana. So, if you're from Louisiana, Illinois, Tennessee, Virginia, etc., it would be correct for you to still be in the 2nd Louisiana.

Now, you (or others) might think that the 2nd Louisiana limits you to only the 2nd day's events (if it's the 150th of G'burg that you're talking about). However, rather than limit, it could give everyone a focus. For the 140th Sharpsburg, me and my pard Dave Palmer did only Louisiana for the Cornfield fight. We gave it 110% just for that morning's scenario, and it turned out to be one of the most memorable events, and best times that I've ever had in this hobby. Rather than getting burned out after an entire weekend, just put all of your eggs in one basket, portray the 2nd Louisiana for the fight at dusk for Cemetery Hill, and go balls-to-the-wall with your impression, first person, etc.,and then chill for the rest of the weekend. I find that's a good way to get the most out of your time, without being burned out or jaded by those around you who may not take their impressions that seriously - or as seriously as you do.

That's great that you're learning French. However, modern day Parisian French is nothing like the French that was being spoken in this country during the 18th century, or in South Louisiana. I would suggest going to a summer French program in Nova Scotia or Quebec where you do nothing but speak French all summer. I did this in Belgium a few summers ago. Or, there's a community in Missouri that centers around the town of Old Mines. They are the last of the Creoles of Upper Louisiana, and they still speak a form of 18th century Acadian French. But, the sad thing is there are only a few old timers who still know and speak this form of French around Old Mines. Once they die, that's it. I would also suggest relocating to Old Mines for a summer, etc., and just get to know and speak with these old timers and learn their form of Canadian French before its gone forever.

The uniforms for the Chasseurs de Chalmette would always change depending on the event / impression. In reality, this is no different that what you and I do already when it comes to events, and putting together impressions for them. The only difference is rather than portraying the 11th Mississippi, then the 12th Tennessee, and then the Missouri State Guard (etc., etc.), we look at the event and decide to portray the 3rd Louisiana, or the 2nd Louisiana, or the 18th Louisiana, or the Orleans Guard Battalion, etc. Of course, the specifcs come into play when it's a special impression, or early war. For example, for the event at New Hope Church where one of the impressions is the 14th Louisiana Battalion, there are only a few variables to look at for the impression, when the over-all impression is simply that of the AOT at the start of the Atlanta Campaign.

The Chasseurs de Chalmette is also more than simply threads, it's a philosophy, too. Watching your weight, sleeping on the ground with no blanket or covering if history tells us that's how it was, etc.

But, to go back to the question of uniforms, I'm trying to advocate for a generic Louisiana State issued garment. History and research seems to suggest that the State of Louisiana produced and outfitted her soldiers in a very uniformed, common style; i.e. blue/grey jean or cassimere, with the classic black tape trim. This uniform started to get issued in the Summer and Fall of '61. The 3rd Louisiana in Missouri, the 11th Louisiana in Columbus (KY) and Taylor's Louisiana Brigade in the ANV - they all seem to begin to recieve this style of uniform in late '61. I have to give props to groups like the Liberty Rifles. I hope one day the Chasseurs de Chalmette could be as large, and as dedicated to our impressions as they, but for the State of Louisiana.
                      Nic Clark

Comment

Plenty of Cajuns down here that still speak the lingo. It's being taught to generations, and yes the older ones are dying out. But the language will carry on. At least in my neck of the woods.

Shrevport eh? Still a little north but not bad. I like the idea of an all Louisiana unit. But it is rather hard to pull off so to speak. Let me know how it turns out! Good luck!:D
                        Regards,
                        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][I]J.L. Hurst[/I][/FONT]

[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Independant Rifles[/FONT][/B]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I]Like vandals of old through our land they did ride
                        With Hunger and Death always close by their side.
                        Came Terror, his herald - but the wailing comes first . . .
                        We know he is coming, That demon called Hurst[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][I] Who ate my Nutter Butter!?!? Said the angry yet still hungry fellow from Gulf Port[/I][/FONT].[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                        X