Locating a Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Locating a Unit

I wrote a thread a week or so ago which was basically intended to be a fishing expedition on how to possibly start a unit. I've received no feedback. I don't have a problem with that. Therefore I will move onto the next step, and I suspect this has been addressed, but I can find no thread for it. So, if I am reinventing the wheel here please direct me to the already-posted answer.

How do I go about locating hardcore units to join? Is there a site where you can go, key in your zip code, and find groups basically located in your vicinity? I can find PLENTY of mainstreamers. I've looked and I've looked, and I can find nobody in my general vicinity which is SW Indiana about 30 miles north of Evansville and the Ohio River.

I don't mind travelling to events, but I would prefer to have a unit near by. Logic says that most unit events will then be relatively close as opposed to joining a unit in which most members live 5 hours away.

I won't be in the field anytime soon due to some personal matters. Therefore I have time to look, but I don't know where to start.

Any help is appreciated. And, if I'm missing the obvious don't be afraid to tell me.

Regards,
    Mark Wallace

Re: Locating a Unit

Look up the GHTI or go to www.pumpkinpatchmess.com
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Mark -
      The GHTI http://ghti.homestead.com is comprised several messes, most notably the Pumpkin Patch Mess and the Tar Water Mess.

Check out those links and get in contact with us if you're interested in learning more.
      Paul Calloway
      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Mark - in all honesty the last thing we need is to start still another unit. What we really need is about 75% less units. The fractionalization of the hobby into smaller and smaller entities is a serious problem, in about every facet of the hobby, not the least of which is it runs counter to how the real military worked...but I digress. Pat and Paul offer good advice here. You are in a good spot.

A bit farther afield you will find the Old Northwest Vols, in Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota. May be a few in Hoosier land as well. Contact Steve Acker or Terry Sorchy via PM.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Mark -
          FYI - The GHTI have several members within 1-2 hours of you... Scottsburg, Bloomington, Fort Knox, KY, etc.
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Mr. Calloway, I'm very interested in learning more about the Tar Water Mess. I will surely make contact! Thanks for responding.

Mark Wallace

Comment

Doug, I agree 100%, consolidation has it's merits. We've done that with the Armory Guards, and it's working very well. We fielded a 40+ man company for a LH at Kennesaw Mtn. on what was basically short notice.
              [SIZE=3][COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][B]Howard Davis[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
              [I]Retired[/I]

Comment

I also agree with the point of not needing more units. My move to form a new unit was out of the desperation of not being able to locate an existing one . . . until I found this website.

All of that notwithstanding, I still think the 24th Mississippi would make a fine part-time mess unit. It has a very interesting history.

Regards,
                Mark Wallace

Comment

Some additional links for quality groups in your area:

ONV: http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php

Mess #1: http://mess1.homestead.com/index.html

Good luck,
                  Jim Butler
                  Jim Butler

Comment

Hallo!

Indeed, excellent advice and resources!

Herr Mark...

IMHO, it takes a little time to adust to some of the differences in the Culture and Ways of Doing Business between the so-called Mainstream Unit world and the "World of Messes and Associations" that are found toward the right on the F/M/C/P/H/A Model.
                    Once one finds the Looking Glass and steps through, it gets easier...

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                    X