Looking for "Authentic" battery in Maine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for "Authentic" battery in Maine

Not sure if I should be posting this here but chose this forum because it said it was for beginners.

Looking for an "Authentic" federal unit in Maine, or at least in New England. Prefer a battery but infantry OK too. There are some reenactor units here but don't know if they are authentic or not. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks,

Tom
    Tom Waddell

Re: Looking for "Authentic" battery in Maine

Tom, you need to sign your full name to every post.
    Paul Calloway
    Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
    Proud Member of the GHTI
    Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
    Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Tom-

An authentic mess, of ANY type- infantry OR artillery, is in my opinion pretty hard to come by even up here as far as my research has led me to believe. (I don't think I've ever seen an "authentic" artillery impression so far, but when I do, I'll know it)
      I've lived up here from South Carolina (due to job) for the past 2 months and due to my inquiries with individuals, there are MANY 'streamer units and a few events of the same, but no real c/p/h units to be seen so far.

The problem seems to be to me, at least:

1) Lack of centralized organization- lots of individuals, but few organized groups of progressive mindset

2) Popularity of mainstream hobby in this area is greater than elsewhere in the US. New England seems, at least to me, to be a bit behind the power curve when it comes to the "progressive movement" in events and organization as compared to other parts of the country. We need to work to remedy this up here.

3) Lack of quality events (top or any tier ones, at least) in this area- W64 is the only one happening in the near future that I know of close to here (in upstate NY) and I have sent money in already for it.

Tom Craig, Gawd Awful Mess members- Brett Asslein is one, John Delongchamp, and John Chan are good POC names for your research into this matter. Tom Craig is "Tom Craig" on here and Brett is "Gawd Awful Lad" on here too.
      I have either met, written, or spoken with them in person and they seem to me to be good men to get to know and good company to keep for references and endeavors.

Of course, if you don't mind taking up a rifle, we can always found an infantry mess together... do you only do blue or can you play grey too? I personally can galvanize. ;)

Won't be in town this weekend, but PM me and we can talk via phone.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
      Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 09-28-2007, 10:39 AM.
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
        Tom-

An authentic mess, of ANY type- infantry OR artillery, is in my opinion pretty hard to come by even up here as far as my research has led me to believe. (I don't think I've ever seen an "authentic" artillery impression so far, but when I do, I'll know it)
        I've lived up here from South Carolina (due to job) for the past 2 months and due to my inquiries with individuals, there are MANY 'streamer units and a few events of the same, but no real c/p/h units to be seen so far.

The problem seems to be to me, at least:

1) Lack of centralized organization- lots of individuals, but few organized groups of progressive mindset

2) Popularity of mainstream hobby in this area is greater than elsewhere in the US. New England seems, at least to me, to be a bit behind the power curve when it comes to the "progressive movement" in events and organization as compared to other parts of the country. We need to work to remedy this up here.

3) Lack of quality events (top or any tier ones, at least) in this area- W64 is the only one happening in the near future that I know of close to here (in upstate NY) and I have sent money in already for it.

Tom Craig, Gawd Awful Mess members- Brett Asslein is one, John Delongchamp, and John Chan are good POC names for your research into this matter. Tom Craig is "Tom Craig" on here and Brett is "Gawd Awful Lad" on here too.
        I have either met, written, or spoken with them in person and they seem to me to be good men to get to know and good company to keep for references and endeavors.

Of course, if you don't mind taking up a rifle, we can always found an infantry mess together... do you only do blue or can you play grey too? I personally can galvanize. ;)

Won't be in town this weekend, but PM me and we can talk via phone.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd

I have to agree with this. Still being in a mainstream battery I have seen this for a while. Tom craig is someone you should really Pm here or talk to.
        [FONT="Georgia"][/FONT] Aaron Bolis
        1st. co. Richmond Howitzers

Comment

Tom,

Hate to beat a dead horse, but there just isn't one in Maine. PM me if you want for some further input - I'm in Central Maine.

Or, as Mr. Lloyd suggested, you can pick up a rifle and join some like-minded individuals in and around Maine and New England.

Kindeast regards,
          Last edited by Marc29thGA; 09-28-2007, 04:46 PM. Reason: Added a period
          [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
          Dirigo Grays
          CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
          Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Originally posted by us1863 View Post
            "...or at least in New England. Prefer a battery but infantry OK too. "
            Tom,

Pickings somewhat are slim in New England. The 5th New Hampshire Volunteer Infantry is a Potomac Legion member unit with a good track record over several decades, and the members have been known to organize a pretty good vanpool from time to time. Mike Mantini mant1@hotmail.com or Jim Blake fifthnhvol@hotmail.com can give you more info.

Welcome to the hobby, and don't forget to sign your full name to your posts. Ahem. :)
            Last edited by Charles Heath; 09-28-2007, 05:40 PM. Reason: Attack of the commas.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Tom,
              As all have said before me, there isn't too much authentic going on in New England as far as CW reenacting goes.
              Johnny had a good observation that reenacting in New England seems behind the times in holding on to the mainstream for dear life. That said there are a growing number of folks in New England who are interested in doing it right.
              I would recommend that you shoot me an email and I will add you on to the New England Campaigner Yahoo group. Activity has been slow on there lately, but things will be heating up as we plan for next season. We have added 5 members in the last month, so like I said there are a growing number of "us" up here.
              As for a battery, I wouldn't hold your breath. You are much better off picking up a musket and falling in with some like minded folks in the infantry. And like Charles said there are always opportunities to travel south in car/vanpools with some new friends from the region.
              Take care,
              Tom Craig
              Tom Craig

Comment

I got into CW reenacting in CT with the old 5th Alabama Battn. Co. "A". I was involved there for a long time with the Confederate Battalion that Steve Huddleston was running. I could not believe the out and out disdain some of those people had for the introduction of new research and the introduction of that research for impression corrections. I finally had to throw up my hands and get out of the battalion organization completely. Sounds like little has changed and thats too bad.

Andrew
                Andrew Quist
                Director, Old Oak Ranch Educational Programs
                www.oldoak.com/goldcamp.html

".. . let no man, unchallenged, asperse the memory of our sacred dead, our fallen comrades, with the charge of treason and rebellion. They fell in defense of the liberty and independence of their country, consequently were heroes and patriots."

- General George W. Gordon, Army of Tennessee

Comment

Gentlemen-

Regarding New England, there seems to me to be a "New England Complacency" when it comes to the hobby here. In that, meaning no one seems to want to get the hobby better in authentic impression- especially in Confederate impression, much less Federal ones.

You know, we need to remedy this situation with a good, tight-knit mess. I'm trying to get to events down-south and even Gettysburg is a 5-hour trip for me by myself on a good day. We could better share costs, information, and driving long distances.

Heck, half the fun of an event is planning to attend one and driving down to it together for me.

I plan to make it to W64. Have to tighten-down the Federal impression because I do grey more often and it's my better of the two.

PM me and we can talk over the phone about this if you are interested. -Johnny
                  Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 10-01-2007, 12:20 PM.
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

The Columbia Rifles have several members in New England. Some of them have spent time attempting to "help reenactors in the region improve" by organizing campaigner adjuncts to New England events. I guess these have been nice but small efforts; overall, an adjunct is still an adjunct, meaning those participating in it need a lot of blinders and will still see quite a few "ahistorical things going on".

Unsolicited advice: The graphic in your signature line may be construed as funny by some, but is precisely the type of thing that the bulk of reenactors see when they think about "nasty hardcores" looking down their noses at them.

Comment

Kevin-

Remedied... Never thought it could be construed as such.

I remain- John Lloyd
                      Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 10-01-2007, 12:36 PM. Reason: Kevin's right...
                      Johnny Lloyd
                      John "Johnny" Lloyd
                      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hi All,

Didn't expect so many replies. Was mainly looking for a local federal unit that went to local events. I reenacted several years ago in a farbie unit but didn't know the difference at the time as I was just a fresh fish then. As I read more about the Civil War and camp life I noticed that the unit wasn't doing things as well as they could for a better impression. I got on a committee to help re-organize the unit based on what the Columbia Rifles do but soon learned that organizing didn't mean authentic. Like Sumter Guard, I too thru up my hands and gave up. There were way to many ego's and politics to deal with anyway.

Think for the time being I will look for a local unit that is more authentic than the one I left and might have a battery. Was looking for an artillery unit as I shoot with an NSSA artillery unit and have an authentic uniform. Didn’t want to invest in another infantry uniform. I travel a bit to attend NSSA events so was hoping to find a local reenacting unit. Will look to this web site to see how I can improve my impression.

Thanks for all the good replies,

Tom Waddell
                        Tom Waddell

Comment

Working...
                        X