Re: Dallas

If you are CS, the best choice is: http://www.texasgroundhornets.com/
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

What is the federal side? I am somewhat familiar with the Frontier Brigade. Would this be it?
      [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

Jim:

Doug is correct on the Groundhornets/15th TX. (Confederate)

The Red River Battalion/9th TX. is a progressive group with members in the D/FW area, with members covering a good part of the State. They go to mainstream events, but also form up at Campaign style events as confederate, or Union, portraying the 165th New York Zouaves. http://www.9thtexas.org/

I belong to a small group known as the Waco Guards, Co.A, 7th TX. Infantry. (Confederate) We have had the honor of joining up with the WIG, and other Authentic groups at LH and Campaign style events, more as individuals, than as a “Unit”. We don’t have a website, we are more of a “mess” (more ways than one)! We just pick what events we wish to attend, see what the requirements are, and go.
        Respectfully:

Kevin Dally
        Kevin Dally

Comment

Email this guy...

Cal Kinzer
          ckinzer@juno.com

Also check out this website, they aren't half bad:

If you don't have luck with either, send me a personal email describing exactly what you are looking for, and I'll get you straightened out. Nothing happens here in Dallas authentics-wise without me knowing about it.

Mike Phineas
          Arlington, TX
          mphineas@sbcglobal.net
          Mike Phineas
          Arlington, TX
          24th Missouri Infantry
          Independent Volunteer Battalion
          www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Also check out this website, they aren't half bad:

Mike,

All I got was a bank site
            [B][FONT="Georgia"][I]P. L. Parault[/I][/FONT][/B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][/FONT]

[I][B]"Three score and ten I can remember well, within the volume of which time I have seen hours dreadful and things strange: but this sore night hath trifled former knowings."

William Shakespeare[/B][/I]

Comment

I live in Fort Worth, and was active with the 1st US for some time. If you want to go to progressive events I would not recomend them, but they are a good group of guys. Me and my pard from waco go to good events if you ever want to tag along.
              Last edited by regularyank; 01-21-2008, 03:46 PM.
              Best regards;
              Taylor Clark
              HCB, Lead Balls mess

Comment

I am in Tyler, Texas. Perhaps some of us Texas fellow should hook up and travel together. It would be a shame for us each to drive to the east with only one or two guys in a vehicle.

Jerry
                Jerry Gouge
                1st Georgia Regulars

Comment

Jim,
                  We'd love to have you with the 9th Texas. Our next drill is on February 9th at The Dallas Heritage Park (Formerly "Old City Park") just south of down town and I-30. A bunch of great guys with a tremendous desire to do things right while having lots of fun. Mind the beans, though. You might want to sleep further away from the fellas and the fire, if you know what I mean.

PS Visit our web site!

- Jay Reid
                  9th Texas/165th NY
                  PM me if you have any questions
                  Jay Reid

Comment

PL,

Sorry, the link is www.1stusinfantry.org

I won't lie to you, they are not your most authentic unit. But then, if you were familiar with the c/p/h community here in DFW you'd already know of Taylor's mess, the Ground Hornets, the Red River Battalion etc...

I recommended the 1st US guys because they are a company sized unit that can drill their asses off. They don't clown around for the most part, and while they are not c/p/h per se, they are very respectful towards that side of the hobby.

They are a great bunch of guys who will welcome you, let you fall in at events with them, and not begrudge you one bit if you decide to move on like Taylor did. There's not a lot happening event-wise here in Texas for authentics, unless you count the occasional living histories that the 15th TX/Ground Hornets put on. But they are CSA primarily, and I inferred you to be Fed.

The 9th TX guys are very similiar to the 1st US, except a lot further down that path of progression. But they do a Fed Zouave impression. While they too can drill their asses off, some people don't like the organ grinder style of uniform and impression of the Zouaves. I had a blast with them at Pleasant Hill one year, but again, they are mainly gray.

Taylor and his band are connected with the right events, and have a very authentic mindset. If you feel ready for that, by all means contact the kid. But I know they are forced to travel long distances to most of their stuff. Again, there is not much here in Texas in terms of authentic events.

Cal Kinzer is up in Oklahoma, and his band are probably the best Feds this side of the Mississippi. But there is a distance issue there.

Well, that's it. I think I've covered everything in DFW. Oh, in case you're wondering. I myself am pretty much just a gun for hire these days, as my family commitments have squashed any reasonable efforts to belong to an organization in any kind of contributing manner.

Best of luck to you,

Mike Phineas
                    Arlington, TX
                    Mike Phineas
                    Arlington, TX
                    24th Missouri Infantry
                    Independent Volunteer Battalion
                    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Working...
                    X