Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNCOVERED! COULD THIS BE.......? ROBERT E. LEE’s SADDLE??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNCOVERED! COULD THIS BE.......? ROBERT E. LEE’s SADDLE??

UNCOVERED! COULD THIS BE.......? ROBERT E. LEE’s SADDLE??

About a year ago this saddle surfaced from another collection and was purchased by my great friend and established collector John Ashworth. The aged documentation (detailed below) that came with it presented it as a saddle owned by the great Southern chieftain Robert E Lee. Interesting enough by itself however, our curiosity was really tweaked when this was juxtaposed with some other information that I had by coincidence gathered many years ago on two saddles made for Lee at the end of the war. Naturally, Mr. Ashworth, his friend historian Russ Pritchard Jr. and myself were intrigued and so as a matter of course Mr. Pritchard spent the next several months trying to run down additional information, documentation, sources, etc. to establish its veracity. Sadly, in the end our results were largely circumstantial and inconclusive but,....no less thought provoking and intriguing to say the least! Much of the historical data below was gathered and written by either Mr. Pritchard or myself. For the very first time, I am publishing our findings here on the AC for your enjoyment and comments.

First, check out the photos of the saddle. Although missing stirrups, stirrup leathers and other components you will note that it is a classic Richmond Arsenal, officer’s “Hooded Jenifer”as made at the Ord. Dept’s. Clarksville Harness Shops 1. According to my research, the “Hooded Jenifer” was the Richmond Arsenal’s “high-end” officer’s private purchase saddle made of the finest materials, workmanship and including a full leather covering that was apparently made to be easily detachable from the tree of the saddle (I can only speculate why). It sometimes came with a quilted hog skin seat but regardless, it was certainly the most expensive saddle and the least often manufactured by the Ordnance Harness Shops during the war. You will note its similarity to another, more complete one pictured below that was made for Jefferson Davis and today found at the Chicago Historical Society. This is only the third one of its kind that I know of still in existence.
    When purchased by Mr. Ashworth, this saddle came with an old, yellowing inventory tag (see below) bearing an accessions number and date assigned by the Camden (NJ) County Historical Society and a corresponding copy of an accessions page (see below) confirming the number and bearing the description: “The saddle of General Robert E. Lee captured by Union forces from his baggage train and presented to Dr. H. Genet Taylor.” 2.
    Dr. Henry Genet Taylor, was a descendant of a prominent New Jersey family. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania Medical School in 1860 and set up practice in Camden. On Sept. 14, 1861 Taylor joined the 8th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry for three years and was appointed assistant regimental surgeon. He served with distinction until after the battle of Antietam in Sept, 1862 when he was promoted to surgeon of the Artillery Brigade of the III Corps subsequently serving on the staffs of Maj. Gen’l’s Hooker, French and Sickles in that capacity. Dr. Taylor resigned from active service on a Certificate of Disability in March 1864 and returned to Camden to become Asst. Surgeon of the Board of Enrollment for his Congressional District which placed him in charge of examination of volunteers and draftees until the close of the war. Apparently Dr. Taylor placed -such high regard in this war souvenir that he kept it in his home in Camden for the remainder of his life. Upon his death in 1916 the saddle passed to his eldest son Henry Genet Taylor, Jr. who presented it to the Camden County Historical Society sometime between Oct 17, 1923 and January 15, 1924. The saddle remained in the collections of the Historical Society for nearly three quarters of a century until Nov. 25, 1997 when it was transferred to the National Civil War Museum in Harrisburg, Pa. Subsequently, in 2000, that institution de-accessioned the saddle and it then passed into private hands. 3.
    Lets talk semantics. Lee’s more well known saddle is his Grimsley-McClellan transition saddle currently on display at the Museum of the Confederacy. Indeed, it is a very nice saddle and if memory serves me correct according to the M.O.C. it was likely made in St Louis and bought by Lee very early in the war. This is a well made, fancy and heavy saddle. Given that, and its condition (it shows little wear even today) it is doubtful Lee rode only this one saddle throughout the war.
    Moreover, like many officers of the Confederacy, Lee also had more than one horse. In fact, he owned several during the war including “Traveller”, “The Roan”, “Richmond”, “Lucy Long” and “Ajax”. At the very end of the war he apparently had with him just two, the well known Traveller and Ajax. As a matter of routine, his horses were kept with him at his headquarters wagon under the care of his servants or orderlies who likely also rode the horses when on the march, etc. So, given the above it is reasonable to assume Lee had more than one saddle. As a matter of fact, it is known he at least two more in the winter of 1864-65.
    In August 1864, Colonel Charles Marshall, one of Lee’s aide de camps, inquired via the Army of Northern Virginia’s Ordnance officer, Colonel Briscoe Baldwin, about Lee purchasing an officer’s saddle and bridle from the Richmond Arsenal. On August 24th, Colonel Baldwin wrote to Captain James A Dinwiddie in charge of Ordnance Stores in Richmond inquiring about the cost of this equipment. “Col. Marshall ADC to Gen'l Lee requests to ask you the price of an officers saddle and bridle of the new Confed pattern. Ge'l Lee is also desirous to get on fair leather- perfectly plain with pockets on- as light as possible. What would be the price of such a saddle for the General.”4.
    In his characteristically efficient manner, Chief of Ordnance Josiah Gorgas read and endorsed this correspondence but stepped in to order two saddles made for General Lee. On November 23, 1864 Dinwiddie notified Gorgas the saddles were ready for delivery. Gorgas then inquired of Colonel Baldwin if General Lee would accept one of the saddles as a present from the Ordnance Department.
    “My dear Colonel, Would the General object to receiving one of these saddles as a present from the Ordnance officer on duty here? Is he opposed to such presentations in general.” Baldwin subsequently replied by endorsement that, “General Lee would I think be very well pleased to receive the saddle in a quiet way. He does not like newspapers or fancy presentations. I sounded him out on the subject and he said that he already had a good saddle and the country was so much pressed for material of every kind "but his size was no-"!” 5. General Lee no doubt received the two saddles, one as a gift, one paid for, at his winter quarters sometime in December 1864. It is not clear if Lee also received a bridle or “pockets” (saddle bags) with the order although both were routinely included in such orders by the arsenal.
    So, if this saddle is the same as noted above how did it get to Dr. Taylor? On April 2, 1865 the Petersburg lines were broken and the order to evacuate Richmond was issued. General Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia began a frenetic withdrawal west that would end six days later at Appomattox Court House. During the march the baggage train of the army, presumably including some of Lee’s personal equipment, consisted of over one thousand wagons that stretched for some 30 miles- a plumb target for the marauding Federal cavalry. Davies Brigade with the 1st Pennsylvania Cavalry in the lead attacked the train on April 5th and burned two hundred ammunition and Headquarters wagons. The next day General G.A. Custer and his cavalry including the 1st New York (Lincoln) Cavalry, destroyed between three hundred and four hundred wagons while taking many trophies. 6. One of the trophies taken was this hooded Jenifer saddle. While unclear, it was during this chaotic period that General Lee would have ostensibly lost some of his baggage or personal belongings such as this saddle. Most certainly, he went home to Richmond a few days later riding Traveller with one headquarters wagon and two ambulances but what other equipments he had (or failed to have) with him is not recorded. In any event, sometime in the weeks or months just after the close of the war, old army comrades, veterans of the attack on Lee’s baggage train, presented this captured saddle as General Lee’s own saddle, to Dr. Henry Genet Taylor.
    Could this and Lee’s presentation saddle be one in the same? Unfortunately, we cannot be sure. Nevertheless, while circumstantial the possibility of this saddle being one of the two made for Lee is further evidenced by several coincidental though tangible points. First, its obvious pattern and expensive quality was reserved only for the most special orders. In fact, direct orders by the Chief of Ordnance in June of 1864 positively dictated that no saddles except a plain skeleton saddle to be made unless under the authority of special order. Second, the techniques of its construction is evidently late war. Notably the abbreviated skirts (a common late war Confederate adaption) and the use of higher quality and, at the time more abundant, imported English fair (London) leather rather than domestic tanned or black skirting leather- which were both discontinued about that time. 7. Finally, while age has made it infirm and fragile it shows little use or wear. All of which suggest albeit inconclusively, that this saddle is a late war Richmond Arsenal officer’s saddle.
    In summary, the documented evidence is strongly suggestive but nevertheless circumstantial. So, there remains but one final question: Was this really one of Lee’s saddles or another Confederate officer’s?
    You be the judge. Your comments are welcome!

Ken R Knopp

FOOTNOTES:
    1. Confederate Saddles & Horse Equipment, By Ken R Knopp, Publisher Press, Orange Va, 2001, pg 89-90.

2. See Photos

3. Brief prepared by Russ Pritchard Jr.

4. Aug. 25, 1864 B. Baldwin (ANV Ordnance Officer) to Capt. James Diwiddie, (Richmond Arsenal Ordnance Officer) NOTE: “new Confederate pattern” was the McClellan. However, bureau economy under Gorgas would not permit waste. So long as the very abundant supply lasted Jenifer patterns saddles continued to be made at the arsenal as officer’s saddles to the end of the war.

5. Nov. 23, 1863 Jas. D “Wiarddio” (Capt. James D. Dinwiddie) to Gorgas, (Confederate Chief of Ordnance) “I have the honor to report the two (2) saddles for Gen'l Lee are ready for delivery.”
    (over on back....)
    My dear Colonel,
    Would the General object to receiving one of these saddles as a preset from the Ordnance
    officer on duty here? Is he opposed to such presentations in general. (originals on file in the Gorgas Collection, Hoole Special Collections Library, Univ. of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
    Nov. 28, 1864 Baldwin to Gorgas. Vol. 91 or 91 1/2 (All Downer letters sent after Jan. 19th 1864 and all Dinwiddie letters sent are in this file.) National Archives, Chapter IV, Group 109: War Department Collection of Confederate Records. Richmond Arsenal and Clarksville Depot. Containing correspondence sent and received, contractor’s vouchers and receipts.

6. OFFICIAL RECORDS OF THE WAR OF THE REBELLION, vol., 46, Part 1, Pages 632 and 1145.

7. The following excerpts were taken from Vol. 91 or 91 1/2 (All Downer letters sent after Jan. 19th 1864 and all Dinwiddie letters sent are in this file.) National Archives, Chapter IV, Group 109: War Department Collection of Confederate Records. Richmond Arsenal and Clarksville Depot. Containing correspondence sent and received, contractor’s vouchers and receipts.
    June 8, 1864 Din to Kane:
    The order of the Chief of Ordnance is positive that no saddles except a plain skeleton saddle to be made unless under the authority of special order.

June 6, 1864 Din to Kane:
    During the month of April I find a bill returned from Clarksville in favor of Kimble & co. for furnishing Eng skirting into black harness leather. Please finish up no more in this way; but work the skirting fair as it is. The blacking only injures the leather and does not add to the looks of the saddle.

June 10, 1864 Din to Kane:
    Cavalry saddles will hereafter be made with crupper, but without leg guards or covered stirrups-- No difference must be made in the saddles for officers, unless perhaps the materials may be more carefully selected.
    Attached Files

Re: UNCOVERED! COULD THIS BE.......? ROBERT E. LEE’s SADDLE??

Sorry!!! Not enough bandwidth (or whatever computer geeks call it) on the original post. So here is the photo of the Jeff Davis Saddle!

President Jefferson Davis "Hooded Jenifer" saddle made circa 1862-63. An excellent example of the Confederate officer's Jenifer and no doubt made at Clarksville, Va., this saddle was used by the Confederate President for service reviews. It was given by Davis to artis Henry Guilleaume, who was commissioned to do his equistrian protrait in 1863. It eventually ended up in the collection of the Chicago Historical Society (where it yet languishes no doubt never seeing the light of day).

Ken R Knopp
    Attached Files

Comment

Ken,
      I was wondering what the front sheild plate looked like? Are you certain that it is CS and not a Federal contract Jenifer? It's just that the provenance is pretty steady from Camden to now, but not from Lee to NJ.

Just playing devil's advocate.

John Sweeney

PS. I was at the M.O.C. Recently and the saddle they attributed to Fitz Lee's wartime saddle looked to be more of a postwar pattern.

Comment

John,

Playing devil's advocate back here but I doubt you'd find any clipped corner plates on a Fed contract piece. Also take a look ar the ring staples. The abbreviated skirts also scream wartime Southern production based on my observations. Just some thoughts.

Cheers,

Neill Rose
        PLHA

Comment

I enclose a couple more photos of the saddle before restoration work was done.

John,

I agree. The line from Lee to Dr Taylor in NJ is circumstantial which is why we came up inconclusive. After alot of digging we could not find any other information anywhere that might link friends, famly, etc. of Dr Taylor to Federal units that were involved in the wagon train attacks. Maybe someone else can.

However, I don't believe we should dismiss the documentation or Dr. Taylor's belief that the saddle was Lee's (this kind of "old, yellow tag" documentation is common for artifacts) but it could be just as easily true that the saddle belonged to another CS officer when captured from the train and mistakingly (or not) "attributed" to Lee by its captors. Without more information to the contrary the saddle must remain what it is....a late war made (probably) CS Jenifer's officer's pattern saddle. Still, I am hopeful that maybe someone, somewhere will find a missing link in an old diary, letter etc. to make a connection or add to the story.

This is what makes history and historical artifacts so much fun! There is always something fresh and new or, a different perspective- no matter how much time has passed or entrenched we get in our beliefs about historical events, people or artifacts. Which illustrates the statement that " the past is never really past".

Ken R Knopp
          Living in the "Past" Lane!
          Attached Files

Comment

Ken and Neil,

I didn't have too many doubts as it being CS for the very reasons you stated Neil, but having never laid eyes on a Federal Jenifer I just wanted some more information.

As for the provenance, I guess I'm always suspicous. I have some questions about some of the saddles at the MOC.

Very Respectfully,
            John Sweeney

Comment

Originally posted by GBaylor View Post
              Ken and Neil,

I didn't have too many doubts as it being CS for the very reasons you stated Neil, but having never laid eyes on a Federal Jenifer I just wanted some more information.

As for the provenance, I guess I'm always suspicous. I have some questions about some of the saddles at the MOC.

Very Respectfully,
              John Sweeney
              Here is a possible link to a Federal Jenifer (although admittedly post war.)

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][SIZE="5"][COLOR="Blue"][FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"]Paul Andrew Milligan[/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Comment

The link mentioned above will take you to an 1879 Whitman saddle (post war) "not" a Federal Jenifer. GREAT photos and story though! I have always admired Custer as a combat officer and enjoy reading anything associated with LBH, etc.
                I attach a photo of a nice Federal Jenifer. Enjoy!

Ken R Knopp
                Attached Files

Comment

Ken,
                  Is that an early war federal jennifer? Was it made pre-war? When did the federals make a jennifer saddle and do you have any idea how many? I never knew they made any. With the problems the CS had with sore backs after the horses lost weight, I am suprised the US used any at all.
                  Rob Bruno
                  1st MD Cav
                  http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Sorry, I do not know when this Jenifer was made. I have very little info on it.

The Federal field tested the Jenifer just prior to the war. My understanding is that inventor Walter Jenifer probably used political persuasion to get them to consider it as by that time they had already fully field tested and approved the McCellan. Correpondence suggests Federal Ordnanace officers were less than enthusiasitc about doing so but a number were ordered made and sent for trial. Of course, they were not adopted but some key points were appreciated by those that used them such that the Chief of Ordnance thought some of these points should be at least, considered. However, the war got in the way. Jenifer's patent was approved in 1860. He then again used his political skills to persuade Confederate authorities to adopt his saddle as their official saddle. This was officially done in early 1862.
                    The Jenifer was used by the Federals but not in any significant number and to the best of my undestanding, never made for issue to troopers. They were apparently primarily a private purchase item- often by Federal officers. I have seen some photos evidenting their use in the field during the war. Very few seem to have survived but I think I have seen four or five "out there". They all have common characteristics but differ and significantly differ from the CS versions.
                    I should not here (this is VERY important!!) the problems with the Confederate Jenifer hurting horses backs had more to do with the poor Confederate construction of their trees rather than any defect in the design of the tree as it was originally inteneded. A plethora of CS correspondence indicates the trees as made by the South's largest supplier Theim & Frap of NC, were defective. Literally thousands (perhaps 21-22 thousand or more) were made by T & F. Most with very flat, untapered bars resulting in poor weight distribution on the horses backs. Thus causing undo pressure and sore backs. This was corrected to some extent with the significant help of Jenifer himself but so many were finished by this time Ordnance Bureau economy could not allow such waste by destroying the trees. Rather, (for this and other reasons notably a lawsuit against the War Dept. by Jenifer) Confederate authorities switched to the McClellan. Still, the remainder continued to be finished into saddles to the end of the war.
                    To the best of my knowledge, Federal Jenifers do not appear to have suffered from this malady although very few were made and reports or studies of them were never made. Most of this information is presented and footnoted in my book CONFEDERATE SADDLES & HORSE EQUIPMENTS.
                    Someday I would like to do an article on Jenifer. He was a rather interesting man. The words eccentric, arrogant and conniving come to mind. Apparantly not very skillful or well liked in the field military realm but quite the politician. He was very ambitious and used his friends to gain appointments, favors, assignments, etc. (so did many others) Still, he was extrememly intelligent and a very capable Inspection and staff officer. After the war he went to Egypt. These are my opinions but I hope to do more someday with the info I have. Most importantly, I wish I had a photograph of him. None exists that I know of.

Ken R Knopp

Comment

I would guess that a horseman of the quality and tenure of The General would have more than one saddle?

"...Robert E. Lee's nephew, Fitzhugh Lee, donated this saddle, to Richmond's Museum of the Confederacy on the July 5, 1904...."
                      Robert E. Lee's well–preserved saddle features fancy oak leaf stitching on the seat and russet leather–hooded wooden stirrups. Lee used this saddle during the Civil War while atop his famous steed Traveller. The sight of General Lee on horseback during battle was an inspiring one for his troops. On several occasions during the Overland Campaign of 1864, Lee arrived unexpectedly at the front lines on Traveller and his mere presence helped turn the tide of battle. Read more about: Robert E. Lee’s Saddle
                      John Jingo

Comment

Ken Knopp, I have caught the "HORSE VIRUS" and the reenactment bug at the same time. What saddle would you recommend for a CSA Cavalry officer wannabe? Within the last few months I have purchased a Stubben "Siegfried" which is AMAZINGLY like "period" English/French and officers saddles. Would I be 'good' with that until I can find a real period saddle?
                        JJ
                        John Jingo

Comment

JingoJohn: Private message sent........but,......in the interest of authenticity .....and, in answer to your question,........ "Would I be 'good' with that until I find a real period saddle?" .............absolutely NOT under any circumstances.

Please forgive my bluntness......

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Working...
                          X