Richardson Saddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richardson Saddles

I just ran across some very old Richardson saddles for sale. I am nonexpert on dating them but I noticed some interesting things about them. The one I looked at had a rawhide covered tree, rivets that match the ones on my Glenn Pier Depot McClellan, hand stitching and beautiful tooling.
    Ken, need your expertise on whether something like that would be period correct or how to date them.
    If anyone has any info on the Richardson please post!

Also, same guy has a really old Washington saddle!
    [I][SIZE=3]Jeff Gibson[/SIZE][/I]
    [SIZE=3][I]Consolidated Independent Rangers[/I][/SIZE]
    [I][SIZE=3]Formerly of Sunny Central Florida now the rolling hills of Tennessee[/SIZE][/I]

Re: Richardson Saddles

It's patently clear that you're only being impatient Chris.

Lancelot Stifle

Originally posted by OldKingCrow
    I cannot find that patent.

Comment

Hang on to that Richardson...they are getting to be real collector's items!

I have been in contact with the Richardson family decendents gathering research material for about a year in the effort to do a write up about the saddles but alas, while it is on the stove and even on a front burner, I am slow in getting to it. Too many projects and not enough time.
      Here is a bit of what I can tell you about them..... They are NOT CW period- although they have a "look" similar to some that are. The Richardson was invented by William M. Richardson's (1840-1913) of Culleoka (Maury Cty) Tennessee. Richardson served in Co. E, 48th Tenn. Infantry. After the war he came home and became a saddler/harness maker. His son continued the business after his death. The saddles were custom makes each fitted at the shop to the purchaser. Most were made with similar "brand" features but were otherwise, custom made to order.
      They were very, very comfortable (They fit you like a glove) although the tree construction tends to set you back in the cantle- (not upright) and your feet forward- not very military. On high withered horses they were (for me) very awkward. Having owned and ridden one I can attest to this aspect of the saddle. I always felt like I was showing a Walking Horse when riding it.
      While one "might" ride this saddle as CW it is NOT! It has features that were not typical of the period including its tree construction (supposedly patented) and quite often the leather treatment. Moreover, you would be jeopardizing an artifact of growing popularity. Just my thoughts but it is your call.

Ken R Knopp
      Attached Files

Comment

Any idea when they were first made? Also, any info on a Washington saddle? They appear to be very similar.
        [I][SIZE=3]Jeff Gibson[/SIZE][/I]
        [SIZE=3][I]Consolidated Independent Rangers[/I][/SIZE]
        [I][SIZE=3]Formerly of Sunny Central Florida now the rolling hills of Tennessee[/SIZE][/I]

Comment

Ken, I saw your name on the Richardson website when I was talking to Jeff yesterday, was wondering if you had approved that . Sounds ligit. I looked at that page and told Jeff it APPEARED that the patent was after the war. Suggested he contact you for definitive input.
          How you feeling, cowboy?

Hope I don't get deleted...

Patrick/Pete
          Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
          Old wore out Bugler

Comment

I don't know much about saddles (nor women, either, but that's a different story). However, it may bear observing that just because an item is patented on a certain date doesn't necessarily mean it didn't exist before that date. A much earlier thread made the same point about copyrights and hymns.
            David Fox

Comment

my mistake I see now
              Last edited by OldKingCrow; 11-24-2009, 08:44 AM.

Comment

I recently helped one of our fellas find a Richardson that was in rideable shape, not for use in the cav but because it had a special meaning to him due to his grandfathers use of one. As I understand it, this saddle as well as the Washington, the McBride and a version that I think was made under the name of the "Jefferson" were all quite similar in design and were made by family based saddle-makers in parts of Mid-Tennessee. Evidently, there isn't 15 cents worth of difference on the overall design. Quite "Muley-esque" if you ask me.

Mark C.
                7th TN.
                J. Mark Choate
                7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

They certainly look comfortable..for the rider at least.
                  Patrick McAllister
                  Saddlebum

"Bíonn grásta Dé idir an diallait agus an talamh

Comment

Good morning David
                    Saddles is easy....but womens is strange but wonerful cratures.

"Lance Stifle"

Originally posted by David Fox View Post
                    I don't know much about saddles (nor women, either, but that's a different story). However, it may bear observing that just because an item is patented on a certain date doesn't necessarily mean it didn't exist before that date. A much earlier thread made the same point about copyrights and hymns.

Comment

Mark,
                      Very interesting!! I am not familiar with the "Washington" or "Jefferson" patterns and how they differ or not from Richardson saddles. Does anyone have photos of these saddles that can be posted?
                      My understanding of period saddles is that they were often given names of famous people, battles, places, etc. as a sales/marketing tool (think Buena Vista). I have also seen references in CS records for "Sabine", "Creo", "St Louis" saddles and even "Monkey" saddles. With little consistency or surviving information there may be no way to know for sure what they looked like or, if they were true patterns or, more likely, just applicable names.

Ken R Knopp

Comment

Ken,

I just "gots to gets" me one of them "monkey" saddles, ha.

I know a fella just north of Nashville who had a "Washington" saddle and he was the one that told me of it's similarity with the Richardson. Don't know if he still has it, but if not maybe he has a photo. As far as the "Jefferson" I was just told about it.........no substantiation.

As to Paddy's comment about them being comfortable, I have never ridden in one personally, but they do look "kind to the rear". My friend who has the Richardson says they are wonderful for long hours in the saddle with minimal fatigue. The bars are padded and look good for the horse with a decent slope for a high-withered horse.

Mark C.
                        7th TN
                        J. Mark Choate
                        7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Gents, Remember to use your whole, real name before the ban hammer falls... I've seen it happen before...TEH
                          [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                          [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, Zack.

Mark Choate
                            7th TN. Cav
                            J. Mark Choate
                            7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

Comment

Missed you at Bummer's Zack...

Pete
                              Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
                              Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Working...
                              X