In the company of such learned ones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the company of such learned ones

I hope this doesn't sound too hokey, but I wanted to say to all who operate and visit this site what a joy it has been to me. To find folks who revel in history in general and details specifically has been a blessing. I taught history for several years and have a hard time finding people with enough imagination to truly appreciate the past. Heck, my dad is 88 and can remember meeting a confederate veteran when he was just a tot. The old soldier was over 100 at the time. It hasn't been that long ago!
    I lived in Irwinville Ga. for many years and remember as a little fellow my mother explaining to me that the President of the Confederacy was captured at the location of our little state park. I spent many a day there and it was never wasted on me. As I get older now, my need to connect with our collective past becomes stronger every year, and my short affiliation with this site and its polite, well studied participants have served to help me do so.
    Thank you all for allowing me in and making me feel a part of things.
    With warmest regards,
    John Gregory Tucker
    great great grandson of Malachi Nesmith, 50th Ga. H company
    Greg Tucker

Re: In the company of such learned ones

Well said, John and thanks for sharing that. All of us on this forum have a common interest in history and for some it is more personal than others, but it is there nevertheless. We have a really good group on this Cavalry forum and have enjoyed your posts and your questions.

regards,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Choate is a moderator??? No wonder I quit coming here! LOL
      Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
      Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Many of us touch the war in one generation, in my case, linked by grandparents who were raised by war veterans, and who lived into my adult lifetime. That carries an additional bond to a time not so very long ago.

It is wonderful to find others who are like-minded.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I know that for me it used to be all about riding and shooting. What has really pulled me into this hobby are the people I've met, guys like Mark Choate, Ken Knopp, Ronnie Tucker, and Tommy Helton (not a member here) are who pulled me into this side of the hobby. You'll always meet people "who know everything" but, when I find the people who are humble and yet are a walking encyclopedia of knowledge, those are the ones that I ask for help from.
          Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

The one thing about Southerners is that world wide you have a reputation for impeccable manners and old world integrity.
            Your own rationale for states rights that led to the war between the states was based on your inherent integrity.

As I see it, those of you who do reenact the history, are chipped off that old block of seasoned hardwood and I for one are grateful you do.

Lance Stifle
            (Kim Stewart-Gray)
            "I am with the South in death, in victory or defeat...I never owned a Negro and care nothing for them,
            but these people have been my friends and have stood up to me on all occasions."
            Patrick Cleburne 1860.

Comment

Working...
            X