Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Regulars" purchasing breast straps, or using surcingles as such.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Regulars" purchasing breast straps, or using surcingles as such.

I searched for this but found no answer specifically to my question.

On page 43 of 'Volunteer cavalry: the lessons of the decade', Frederick Whittaker writes "In active service the men universally threw away their cruppers in our war, and many who had slim bellied horses were forced to buy breast straps, by hook or by crook." He went on to write "Many used their surcingles for this purpose but had to give them up".

My question then, since he is writing about volunteer cavalrymen, would "regulars" have been allowed to purchase and use breast straps, or use surcingles as such? While I have seen plenty of written and photographic evidence of this with volunteer troops, I have not seen any specifically referring to regulars indicating this was common. I do not know if they would have been given the same latitude if it were not regulation. Though it seems odd to me that this would not have been allowed in the field due to common sense. But this is speculation

Also, with regards to using surcingles as breast straps, since (at least with the volunteer troops he is referring to) the men had to "give them up"; was this by order? If so, does anyone have any idea when this order was issued?
    Last edited by DaveGink; 04-02-2011, 10:31 AM. Reason: Typo
    Dave Gink
    2nd US Cavalry
    West Bend, WI

Re: "Regulars" purchasing breast straps, or using surcingles as such.

Dave,

Excellent question, but I'm afraid I don't have any evidence to answer your question on the regular's use of surcingles as breast straps. There are certainly loads of photos of horses wearing surcingles that way, and many of them it is not possible to determine if the trooper is a regular or a voluneteer. Perhaps someone else has some historical evidence?

As to the quote about them giving up the surcingles, that is a curious reference. Certainly general orders came and went all the time, and things that were allowed one month were outlawed the next. Or things had always been outlawed, but the men did it anyway, and eventually an order would be issued reminding everyone of the original order, and further banning the item/practice. Enforcement of orders was in no means uniform from regiment to regiment, so it may have been an issue in Whittakers unit, but not in others? I haven't seen any other reference to the practice of using surcingles that way.
    Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry
    Tom Craig

Comment

Re: "Regulars" purchasing breast straps, or using surcingles as such.

Thanks for the reply Tom! It seems the more I learn, the more I find I need to learn. ;)
      Dave Gink
      2nd US Cavalry
      West Bend, WI

Comment

Working...
      X