U. S. Grant rode a Grimsley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U. S. Grant rode a Grimsley

Found a letter up for auction at Heritage Auctions authenticated to Lt. Gen. US Grant and dated May 19, 1865 stating that Gen'l Grant was giving his Grimsley saddle that he rode from the days of Ft. Donalson to Lee's surrender at Appomattox to his friend and aide, Col. A.H. Markland.

Shows that Grant not only rode a Grimsley, but used the same saddle throughout the war.
    Mike Ventura
    Shannon's Scouts

Re: U. S. Grant rode a Grimsley

Wonder what became of it? I know Gen. Logan's is in the Illinois State Military Museum, he too rode his the duration of the War. Had a horse shot out from him at Donelson... So I'm not positive it's the same he rode to war on... In the picture of Grant's Cincinnati horse he's wearing it complete with shabraque, so you can't see a good deal of it. Cool find though. Z
    [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Zack -

If you read further down the descriptive page from the auction house, it states that the saddle is on display at the U.S. Army Quartermaster Museum in Ft. Lee, NJ.
      Mike Ventura
      Shannon's Scouts

Comment

I totally overlooked that... to busy trying a to find a way to save a copy of the letter...I didn't earn the nickname "pack-rat" for nothing! Thanks for the heads up. Z
        [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
        [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

The US Quartermaster museum is in Fort Lee, Virginia, which is part of the Petersburg battlefield.
          [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="3"]Adam Carter
          aka H. Adam DeLavie
          11th Penna Vol Inf, Co I
          Skunkhead Mess
          WCWA
          Tacoma, Wa[/SIZE][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]Co A, 15th Iowa, 150th Shiloh[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

Comment

The saddle was on display in the QM museum when last I visited it in 2003. By the way the saddle is pictured on page 147 Rebels and Yankees Battlefields of the Civil War.
            Jan H.Berger
            Hornist

German Mess
            http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Mike and all,

We were discussing this two weeks ago at the Shiloh documentary filming that he did have a Grimsley at the time of Shiloh. There was some discussion as to which shabraque that he had, though.

regards,
              Mark
              J. Mark Choate
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Adam, thanks for correcting my "Ft. Lees"
                Mike Ventura
                Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Originally posted by The Egyptian Homeguard View Post
                  I totally overlooked that... to busy trying a to find a way to save a copy of the letter...I didn't earn the nickname "pack-rat" for nothing! Thanks for the heads up. Z
                  I missed it the first time too!
                  Mike Ventura
                  Shannon's Scouts

Comment

yes, i remember seeing that saddle back in 2001 when i was at MOS school at Ft Lee

jason Klug
                    "I appeal to you as a soldier to spare me the humiliation of seeing my regiment march to meet the enemy and I not share its dangers."
                    ~George Armstrong Custer

Comment

Working...
                    X