Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What rank is "Saddler"??

Gents,

In doing some research on a CW ancestor of mine (my gg-grandfather) I noticed that he mustered in to the 5th Missouri State Militia Cav.(US) as a private and mustered out as a "saddler". Given the title, I can speculate that the position had something to do with the maintenance of saddles & tack etc. Is this correct? Have any of you come across this term in your research of the mounted services?

Thanks,

Randall Pierson

Re: What rank is "Saddler"??

From Customs of service for non-commissioned officers and soldiers, as derived from law and regulations, and practised in the army of the United States:
    243. Saddler Sergeant.—Each regiment of cavalry is allowed a saddler sergeant, with the pay and emoluments of a regimental commissary sergeant, seventeen dollars per month. His duties are not denned by law or regulation. He would naturally, however, have charge of the company saddlers of the regiment, and act as master saddler or foreman when the company saddlers are united in one shop for the repair of the equipments of the companies.
    244. He takes his instructions from the commanding officer of the regiment, and should attend to the repairs of the horse-equipments of the field, staff•, and band, and see that the company saddlers perform properly their duties in the companies.
    245. Saddlers.—Each company of cavalry is allowed an enlisted man as saddler, whose duty it is to keep the horse-equipments of the company in repair, under the direction of the company commander and the saddler sergeant. The pay of saddler is fourteen dollars per month, the same as a corporal of cavalry, with the same allowance of clothing and rations. Military duty ordinarily is not required of either saddler sergeants or saddlers; but they should be instructed in a knowledge of the ordinary duties, and should at all times be available in case of necessity.
    From Cavalry compendium: containing instructions for non-commissioned officers and privates in the cavalry service:
    Regimental Saddler.
    The regimental saddler receives orders and instructions from the commander of the regiment. He is required to repair the horse-equipments of the field and staff of the regiment. He instructs the company-saddlers how to do their work; and when they are assembled to work in one shop, he acts as foreman.
    He must keep a correct account of all the tools and material intrusted to his care, and at all times he able to account for them.
    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Randell,
      I have come across that designation in looking at muster rolls. Also other jobs associated with cavalry and others like teamster that I am sure are in other branches as well. You should be able to see his pay vouchers also to verify his rank/occupation as a saddler. If he didn't get the pay, he might have been assigned this duty because of skill or necessity, but didn't get the pay or rank.
      Rob Bruno
      1st MD Cav
      http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Thanks fellas! Good to see an actual description of duties.

-Randall Pierson

Comment

Working...
        X