Logan's saddles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logan's saddles

For those of you who haven't had a chance to visit the Illinois State Military Museum in Springfield, EvIllinois... These are two saddles belonged to Maj. Gen. John A. (Black Jack) Logan. For those who don't know, Logan's father Thomas raised thoroughbreds in Murphysboro, Ill and young Jack jockeyed for him. Apparently young Jack was quite the rider. Note the cool stirrups on the Grimsley too....
    Enjoy the images. Z

[B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Re: Logan's saddles

1940's slick fork parade saddle! ;D Not, but really cool!
    John Clinch ~ The Texas Waddi of the "Far Flung Mess"

"Fighting the Texans is like walking into a den of wildcats"- Union private
    "When a Texan fancies he'll take his chances, chances will be taken..."

Comment

What a beautiful example of a Grimsley! Looks in great shape, too.

The stirrups are very artful, but I would not want to do much riding in them. My Grimmy has original stirrups and they are much more narrow than the modern stirrups. My boot just barely fits in. When you couple that with the ornate work on these, then you have just tied yourself to the saddle in the case of a fall. Of course their feet were smaller on the whole than my big hams, ha.

Zack, do you know the manufacture date of the Texas influenced saddle at the bottom??

thanks for showing these!

Mark
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

FYI, the bottom saddle belonged to General Wade Hapton III and was looted from his home, Millwoood, prior to its burning on February 17, 1865. The saddle was given to Logan by his troops and it has resided with his effects ever since. I've informed the Hampton family of it's location several weeks ago and they may be asking for it to return to the family. Should prompt some interesting discussions for sure. I've always surmised this was a presentation saddle from someone significant as Hampton was not about bells and whistles when it came to saddlery. Thanks for posting Zach! Ps-I have additional pics the institution has shared with me so I may try to upload them here in the near future.

Neill Rose
        Iron Scouts
        Palmetto Guard....lately stationed on Morris Island

Comment

Neill, Cool... I didn't know much about the Texas type, very interesting. Knowing this "wonderful" state in which I reside, they'll probably want to charge rent for storing the saddle for the last 145 years for the family to get it back! It's also interesting that Logan and Hampton were both Senators after the War and it never exchanged back to Hampton. Possibly it was a subject of contention between former military and political rivals.

Mark, A few years ago I got touchy feely with the Logan Grimsley... It's rideable as is. Okay, maybe a new set of stirrup leathers and cinch connectors to be extra safe, but it's near mint. The ISMM also has posession of his 1860 Cav. saber, saddlebags and a pair of mittens found inside the bags. All very cool and in remarkable shape. Too, Logan wasn't nearly as tall and gunboat footed as you and I, so the stirrups may not have been an issue. The key is to not fall off your horse or have it shot from under you... Oops! Logan didn't follow that rule either. I believe he had two shot out from under him at Donelson...
          Last edited by The Egyptian Homeguard; 04-12-2011, 06:59 PM.
          [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
          [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Working...
          X