Primary accounts of Civilian Saddles in US Army

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary accounts of Civilian Saddles in US Army

I know there was the great thread on civilian saddles, but it went it several directions, so I hope no one minds me dragging it up in a slightly different way. What period written accounts do we have of this? Obviously it does not appear to have been anywhere near the norm, but seems to have been common in this one unit (1st Kentucky Cav, US), as my wife's ancestor's service records indicate he used his own horse equipment for his full enlistment (1861-64; thank you free ACW records on ancestory.com)

Re: Civillian saddles in the Union Army
    My great, great grandfather, Adam Ellis, enlisted in the Federal 1st KY Cavalry July 27, 1861. His muster sheets state that he furnished his own horse and horse equipment. I would assume this included a saddle. This notation is included all the way to August of '64. Value of horse was $165. The notation also usually states he received no pay for the horse.

Hopefully this will be of interest: from Tarrant's Wild Riders of the First Kentucky Cavalry "On the 9th of August, the regiment moved to Marietta to make preparations to return to Kentucky. Although most of the boys owned their own horses at the time, yet as Gen. Sherman needed them for future operations, it was necessary for them to be turned over to the government. In ordinary civil transactions it generally takes two to make a contract, but in this case it only took the stronger party to decide the terms of the trade — that is the government. Though some few of the men objected, yet for the sake of peace and harmony with Uncle Sam, they submitted without many murmurs."

"The 12th and 13th of August was spent in inspecting, branding, and delivering them to their new owner, the government. The 14th was employed in boxing up our saddles and making other preparations. The 16th was occupied in investigating the title of each soldier to his horse."

Timothy H. Downey
    Pat Brown

Re: Primary accounts of Civilian Saddles in US Army

Here are two from the War Dept. that may be of intrest to you. Can anyone put a finger on N.B.? I can't off the top of my head. Z

Maj. Gen. W. S. ROSECRANS, "The Secretary of War directs me to inform you that to-day... We have on hand 792 sets of horse equipments of the Ranger pattern, 496 of the Grimsley pattern, and 2,000 of the ordinary citizen's pattern, in all 3,288 sets of good, substantial, new horse equipments... which can be sent immediately, if you desire it; and in a very short time from 2,000 to 4,000 sets of the new cavalry pattern can be sent to you to mount cavalry. Shall either or both be sent?" - P. H. WATSON, Assistant Secretary of War, MURFREESBOROUGH, TENN., March 30, 1863.

HEADQUARTERS CAVALRY,
    March 8, 1865.
    N.B.--An inspection of your command will perhaps show that a number of your men are riding on citizens' saddles. These must be abandoned in preference to Government saddles.
    W. MERRITT,
    Brevet Major-General, Commanding.
    [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

Working...
    X