Fatigue versus "Dress" Uniform for early war campaigning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fatigue versus "Dress" Uniform for early war campaigning

I searched for the answer to this, but could not find it.

I am asking this about eastern federal regular army cavalry troopers.

1861 regulations call both for a trimmed "uniform jacket" and a sack coat for "fatigue purposes". What I am wondering is if there was a general order actually authorizing the sack coat for campaign duty? I am not questioning IF it was authorized as this is obvious, but when and if there was a specific order anyone can point me to showing when.

I am also trying to find the same information pertaining to the "dress" hat versus the forage cap. At what point was the Hardee hat replaced by the forage cap for campaign duty, and was there a general order authorizing it? I've often heard that the men hated the dress hat and threw them away ... but that doesn't address the authorization of the forage caps use for anything more than fatigue duty.

Lastly, was there anything in the regulations or general orders calling the "hardee hat" and uniform jacket a "dress" uniform? My understanding is they were designed to be the field (fighting) uniform (and not the sack coat and forage cap).

These are questions I took for granted and never really researched until being faced with early war events and wondering when the forage cap and sack coat became standard wear in the field. I know prior to Dec 1861 I should be wearing dark blue trousers. But what about the mounted services jacket and dress hat, versus the sack coat and forage cap?

Thanks!
    Dave
    Dave Gink
    2nd US Cavalry
    West Bend, WI

Re: Fatigue versus "Dress" Uniform for early war campaigning

I am also wondering if anyone can point me to the general order (if there is one) authorizing full hat brass on Cavalry forage caps. As opposed to the 1861 regs calling for just the Company letter on the front. I have seen numerous photos, including a mounted column of 2nd US cav in 1863 with full hat brass on virtually every trooper. Given that they are "regulars" and I am presuming strict on regulations, this was clearly authorized.

Lastly, are their orders allowing the issuance of "artillery boots" for cavalry troopers, or is this from quartermaster records? or is it simply a belief based on photographic evidence? Again, the 1861 regs called for booties.

Thanks all, I'm guessing these questions will either be easily answered, or very hard. I've been pouring through books and online records of orders but can't find anything on these things.
    Dave Gink
    2nd US Cavalry
    West Bend, WI

Comment

Dave,

These are three very good questions and I would really like to know the answers, too. Especially the second question regarding the Hardee vs. the forage cap. Sounds like a good set of questions for some of our 1st Maine brethren. How 'bout it Tom, Dave, Andy, etc.................?

Inquiring minds want to know! :confused_

regards,
      Mark
      J. Mark Choate
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

The only general order I know of is a late war one that Sheridan issued for the wearing of the fatigue blouse. A good place to look is the regimental order books for the early war regiments but sadly those documents are scarce. I will see what I can dig up but give me some time. John Tobey also might have some of the information as well from his research.
        Dave Myrick

Comment

Also, since you see photos of troopers wearing both blouses and coats throughout the war, I tend to think that it is either a personal choice or one based upon environmental conditions.
          Dave Myrick

Comment

Thanks Dave! I have been trying to find those order books for the 2nd US and it's been tough.

It's interesting that in EOG Union on page 106 it states that the forage cap officially replaced the "felt cavalry hat" in 1859. However the 1861 regs do not indicate this. And it doesn't indicate what uses it replaced it for.
            Dave Gink
            2nd US Cavalry
            West Bend, WI

Comment

Re-reading the 1861 regs, I found that the forage cap is to be worn when on fatigue duty along with the fatigue blouse.

From Revised Regulations for the United States Army, 1861
              1493. For fatigue purposes, forage caps, of pattern in the Quartermaster-General's office: dark blue cloth, with a welt of the same around the crown, and yellow metal letters in front to designate companies.

Dave Myrick

Comment

Hi Dave, I read that as well but wasn't sure fatigue specifically meant "combat" use versus stable duty, chopping wood, etc. I know the felt hat and jacket were originally designed to be combat dress, and the sack coat and forage cap for fatigue. Do you think that is indicating that the felt hat was only meant to be a "dress" hat (parades, etc) at that point? Or was it that now there was choice to use one over the other in the field.

Edit: in a research article on Sack Coats by Aaron Young, he states "Fatigue duty is described as all of the irregular work that the soldier is called upon to perform from time to time. In the field, it includes working upon roads, the construction of a bridge, building fieldworks, rifle pits, the repairing of a railroad, the management of a boat and other such duties."
                Last edited by DaveGink; 04-17-2011, 11:26 AM.
                Dave Gink
                2nd US Cavalry
                West Bend, WI

Comment

Originally posted by DaveGink View Post
                  It's interesting that in EOG Union on page 106 it states that the forage cap officially replaced the "felt cavalry hat" in 1859. However the 1861 regs do not indicate this. And it doesn't indicate what uses it replaced it for.
                  I do not mean this as an insult to EOG, I love my two sets, but their commentary is not 100% accurate. I think you may have found one of those places. Yes the "cavalry hat" is gone and the forage cap "in" (but not new, it dates back earlier in the decade), but is that causation and is it a complete replacement, or does each have a roll, as you already mentioned?
                  Pat Brown

Comment

Someone pointed me to a letter dated February 28, 1862, by Thomas Smith of the 6th PA where he wrote "We have orders not to wear our Dress Hats any more and some of the companeys have given them up ... "

I thought this was really interesting and put a time frame to when Eastern Cavalry may have stopped using the dress hats for field duty.
                    Last edited by DaveGink; 04-17-2011, 06:17 PM. Reason: took out the fellows name in case he didn't want me to use it.
                    Dave Gink
                    2nd US Cavalry
                    West Bend, WI

Comment

Where is this letter, is it available online? A Feb `62 date for the 6th PA, I wonder if that corresponds to the time when they turned in their lances?
                      Dave Myrick

Comment

Hi Dave,

That letter is in Eric Wittenberg's book, "We Have It Damn Hard Out Here," which is a collection of Smith's letters. Lances were not turned in until May-June 1863.

Although it's a bit dated I've found Randy Steffen's vol. 2 of The Horse Soldier pretty useful for the formal introduction and distinctions on federal uniform and equipment issues. However, we need to augment it with specific research in unit ordnance reports and order books.

Andrew German

of
                        Andrew German

Comment

Both of those books are now on my to buy list. ;)
                          Dave Gink
                          2nd US Cavalry
                          West Bend, WI

Comment

Working...
                          X