Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit Bluing

Hello,

The 1861 manual for cavalry horse equipment says: "Bit, (shear steel, blued)".

If one were to re-blue a reproduction bit, what parts were blued, and was the blueing similar to what is used today?

Thanks!
    Dave
    Dave Gink
    2nd US Cavalry
    West Bend, WI

Re: Bit Bluing

All of the steel parts, in essence the entire bit, minus the brass bosses. No the blueing processes were different. Period blueing was a cold rust blue, while modern blueing methods are either a cold chemical blue which is very shallow and fragile or a hot salt blue. Neither will yield a blue similar to the cold rust. One can still cold rust blue if you can find the blueing solution.
    Dave Myrick

Comment

Dave and Dave... I did a google search and came up with this....http://www.finishing.com/4400-4599/4469.shtml It doesn't shound all that complicated, but I don't want to try it anytime soon... Z
      [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][I]Zack Ziarnek[/I][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
      [email]ill6thcav@yahoo.com[/email]

Authentic Campaigner since 1998... Go Hard or Go Home!

"Look back at our struggle for Freedom, Trace our present day's strength to its source, And you'll find that this country's pathway to glory, Is strewn with the bones of the horse." Anonymous

Comment

I feel that the factory bluing on the '59 bits was more of a protective measure for shipping and storage. When the bit made it to the trooper in the field, it was burnished bright ,as rust would form quickly. Keeping a bit " in the blue" would have been a hard chore. I agree that the cold rust bluing method would be the type used.

Chris Stewart
        7th Tenessee Cav Co D

Comment

What evidence do you have to support your statement that they were burnished bright? I have yet to see an original bit that has been burnished bright but see lots that are still blued.
          Dave Myrick

Comment

check into pilkington rust blueing compound. it sounds like what your looking for.
            john tucker
            Greg Tucker

Comment

Thanks for the great information Dave and all!

That Pilkington rust blueing compound does sound just like what I'm looking for.
              Dave Gink
              2nd US Cavalry
              West Bend, WI

Comment

Working...
              X